FOR FUCKS SAKE - RAW TRACKS ARE NOT "STEMS"

Damian B

¯\(°_o)/¯
Nov 8, 2007
NC, USA
I did a search, but to my knowledge no one has posted a rant about this yet.

To clear it up for the new guys: raw tracks (.WAV, .AIFF, .MIDI files, etc) are NOT "stems."

A "stem" is a mixdown of an instrument group, sometimes sent to a mastering studio instead of a complete stereo mixdown. So, for example, a mastering engineer may receive a "drum stem," "gutair stem," and "vocal stem." The drum stem would contain a mixdown of the overheads, snare, kick, etc. The guitar stem would contain both left and right guitars. The vocal stem would have all of the vocal parts. You get the point.

We know what you mean, but you are using the wrong terminology, and it makes you look like newbies.

People here keep asking me how much mastering costs when they really mean mixing. At least they are not native speakers, but still really annoying to have to explain it every time.

this guy....this guy knows what's up.

It seems so petty but it's the truth. These words are interchanged way too fucking much and it's annoying.

Yeah, it might seem ridiculous to moan about it, but it can actually lead to real trouble. Imagine being booked for a couple of days for a stem mastering and receiving raw tracks on the evening before.

All the inaccurate shit flying around the internet and you are having a cow about misuse of the word "stem"

Well, quite honestly I don't give a fuck if someone sets fire to his computer when plugging a JCM800's speaker out to the line-in of an integrated sound card, but it kind of is a big deal if I'm expected to mix an album for 375€ and the truth comes out the moment I should start working.