For guys that tune bass in melodyne [the standalone version]

Uros

Sonic Incision
Jul 29, 2007
between sine waves
What do you use as a reference, by which you measure if the bass is off?
(I am not talking about obvious notes that are off). How do you know if it's in tune with the guitars or not?
Also, a side question - do you use the correct pitch and drift percentage tool, or note by note method?

well i'm not quite sure what you mean but the whole point of tuning it would be to do it to the grid.

you can adjust it up or done semi tones or so in case the guitars are consistently "on or off" from the actual pitch.

if the guitars are in perfect tuning or very close to it, tuning the bass to the real grid is fine. if the guitars are off then you have to do it manually by ear.

I mean that, even when 'perfectly' in tune, the guitar is not actually perfectly tuned, since its pitch drifts a few cents here and there, so hence my question.
I have found that, at least for tuning vocals, you have to listen the other instruments too as a reference. I've tried to tune them blindly couple of times, and it doesn't work so well imo. So, that's why I found interesting when I had read 'tuning bass in standalone' posts, as there are no other tracks to put against the track that you tune.

Thanks for your input.

Yeah, I know that dude. My question was more towards how do you know if it's in tune with other instruments or not, because you don't have anything to put against it to compare.

Eh, so that's it...I only have Melodyne editor. I suppose you are talking about Melodyne studio. Guess I'll have to use it as an insert in DAW then. What are the pitfalls of doing that?
Also, don't know if it'd be of any use if I'd try that Studio One. How's the integration working? Haven't tried it yet.