For people struggling with rates and how to charge

AdamWathan

Apr 12, 2002
Cambridge, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
In my endless struggle to determine the best way to charge bands (per hour, per song, per project, try and charge for editing? etc) I built this little spreadsheet to help me out.

9sxnpt.jpg

Basically how it works is there are 4 rate types:

a) The hourly rate you bill the client (usually it's easiest to only bill them for setup and tracking and if you are lucky mixing, billing hourly for editing usually won't fly)

b) The actual rate you make per hour at the end of the day (includes ANY work you put into the project, so it is whatever you get paid total, divided by however long the whole thing took)

c) The Project Rate, which is how much it cost for the entire project

d) The Per Song rate, which is how much it cost per song on the project.

There are 4 worksheets that look the same but all make their calculations from one of these rate types respectively. So the "Hourly Rate" worksheet has you enter what you are charing per hour for each service and the actual hourly rate, project rate and per song rate are calculated automatically.

The "Earned Rate" spreadsheet has you enter what you want to get at the end of the day per hour (so say you feel your time is worth $20/hr, you enter that and it will tell you how much you SHOULD charge the client for setup/tracking/mixing in order for it to work out to $20/hr when you add in the editing time you are doing for free.)

The "Project Rate" spreadsheet has you enter what the band is paying you for the project and then lets you see what you are getting per hour, per song and what you would be billing per hour to make the same money.

The "Per Song" spreadsheet is the same deal as the project rate, you just enter the per song rate you are charging instead of the project rate.

On top of this, you obviously have to enter how many songs and the total time required for each instrument for each aspect of the project.

The blue highlighted cells on each sheet are the ones you are manually entering, it changes depending on which sheet you use of course.

There are a few things you might want to tweak based on personal taste (ie. maybe you take 5 hours to mix the first song and only an hour for each subsequent song instead of the same time for each song, or maybe you can't get bands to pay hourly for mixing) but if you have any idea how to operate Excel then you should have no problem manipulating any of the formulas to suit your needs.

Anyways, I have found this uber helpful because bands hate paying by the hour so this way, you can figure out how long it will take you easily, type in what you want to make per hour in the "earned rate" spreadsheet, and it will automatically tell you what to charge per song so that you don't get ripped off for your time, or get stuck with a band that thinks it'll only take 12 hours to record a 6 song EP just because they are cheap and you are charging hourly.

Of course this will never be perfect because you can't predict exactly how long it will take to do everything, but you can get a much better estimate of how much to charge and break things down this way.

The other thing it's useful for is if a band wants to do 8 songs and says they can only afford $750, you type that in as the project price and type in how long you think it'll take to track and edit each instrument as well as mix and BAM, you can see what you are going to be making per hour for your time if you agree to do the project for that price.

Anyways, hopefully you guys find it useful, it's helping me out a lot.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3616293/studiorates.xls

I just punched in the numbers from my current session and realized I'm making about as much as I would at Mcdonalds.:zombie:

Great job though man

I just punched in the numbers from my current session and realized I'm making about as much as I would at Mcdonalds.:zombie:

Great job though man

I've made wayyy less than minimum wage on all recordings I've done :erk:

Yeah, I'd get good, set rates instead, but I can't even find anyone to record. It's pathetic. So when I do find someone to record, I pretty much have to do as they say, or they'll just flake out.

you could also add in a "work hours per day" and "minimum days needed" count, and "keyboards" and "other instruments" fields and there is an error in the editing money field

What's the error? I just looked over the all rate related fields for editing and found no problems... Every worksheet assumes that you cannot actually bill the client per hour for editing which is why it is a constant of zero unless you specifically change it in the "Hourly Rate" spreadsheet which is the only one where it affects anything. In every other spreadsheet, the billed rates being calculated ignore all hours for editing, which is why the actual rate is always lower than the billed rate.

Like I said before if you know anything about Excel it is easy to manipulate this to your needs, but for me, I know I can NEVER convince a band to pay me to edit them by the hour. If I say "I charge $25/hr for editing and it will take about 8 hours of editing," the band will say, "oh don't worry about editing it will be good enough" no matter how hard I try to convince them otherwise, and either way the editing has to get done because it has my name on it :/

Going to add a section to calculate how many days each project will take based on working hours though, that is a good suggestion. It's good to see how much you'd be making on a monthly basis vs. an hourly basis, because we all know in this field 40 hours a week isn't how it works. Would rather know that this month worth of projects is going to cover my bills, regardless of how many actual hours I'm putting in!

Umm, why? So does that mean you will do all the editing for my projects for free if I send them your way? :) The error is that the editing field has a formula, editing has a zero

AdamWathan said:
I know I can NEVER convince a band to pay me to edit them by the hour. If I say "I charge $25/hr for editing and it will take about 8 hours of editing," the band will say, "oh don't worry about editing it will be good enough" no matter how hard I try to convince them otherwise, and either way the editing has to get done because it has my name on it :/

No I won't edit your project for free, but if I'm doing a project from track to mix which is what this spreadsheet is supposed to accommodate, I am going to end up doing the editing on my time. If you can convince a band to pay for editing more power to you, I know I can't convince anyone in the band to come to the studio and sit next to me while I edit their tracks for 3 days just to make sure they have proof of the hours I'm charging them for.

That's the whole reason this spreadsheet exists. You figure out what you want to MAKE per hour, and charge enough higher than that for the services that are easy to get the band to pay for hourly that at the end of the day you are making what you wanted to make had the band agreed to pay the hourly rate for editing. Instead of charging $20/hr for setup/tracking/editing/mixing, you charge like $28/hr and only charge for setup/tracking/mixing (even charging hourly for mixing is a stretch for most bands, they only want to pay for the time they are there). This way you make the $20 an hour you wanted and didn't have to argue with the band about the editing time...

So again, NO I will not edit a project for free. If someone came to me with a project that was just editing, I would charge them accordingly. But when dealing with a band that wants to come in and record a few songs, they have no proof of the hours I worked editing when they weren't there so how do I get them to agree to pay for it? They end up paying me for editing either way, they just don't know it because it's built into the other hourly rates that they don't question.

Which editing field has a formula? None of them contain a formula... Every single field that has anything to do with the words "editing" or "rate" either have "0" in them as a constant (0 isn't a formula...) or "=$D$2", which refers to the 0 in D2, again a constant. The formula "=$D$2" is only there in case you do change the constant in D2 to something else.

Just an observation reading from many posts about charging bands for money it seems some of you guys need to be a lot more forceful and upfront when charging your clients. I.e; 'No...you'll pay 50% now and once I get the other 50% you get your tracks'...not 'yeah no worries give me the money in 3 weeks when you have it'.

Just an observation reading from many posts about charging bands for money it seems some of you guys need to be a lot more forceful and upfront when charging your clients. I.e; 'No...you'll pay 50% now and once I get the other 50% you get your tracks'...not 'yeah no worries give me the money in 3 weeks when you have it'.

+1 Cash up front or no dice. I personally use 50% to book the date, and the other 50% at the end of the session. Flat rate per day.