For producer of Before Their Eyes (Sturgis)

So I'm curious. Do you track guitars just like you would if there was a "real" amp?

for example 2 tracks L 2 R so on, and so forth?

I'm thinking if you where running that many instances of podparm you puter would be taking some major cpu craps.

I feel the same way about live guitars. The only guitar tone I ever got which I liked was with a royer 121. Also I suck so...

i dont quad track anymore, quad tracking succks

make two input channels
example:
Mackie 8
Mackie 8 (2)

rename the first one to GTR DI
rename the second one to POD FARM
set the input on both to the same input
put the pod farm plugin on the POD FARM input channel

make two tracks, set the input of the first one GTR DI
set the second input to POD FARM

record both tracks

you get di, and pod farm

no cpu struggle

need to reamp? be prepared to set, and export a lot

IF pod farm is running as a plugin why do you need to record a di at the same time??? Couldn't you just copy the track later on and turn pod farm off??

IF pod farm is running as a plugin why do you need to record a di at the same time??? Couldn't you just copy the track later on and turn pod farm off??

He's running podfarm on the INPUT channel. That way he only has to run one instance and it won't bog down his system, even after 8 or 10 layers or whatever. Downside is if you don't like the tone at mix, you'll have a lot of offline processing to do.

Yeah, I didn't pick up on that either at first, so thanks for the clarification, makes a lot of sense!

Hey, this forum is pretty cool. I joined tonight after reading some of the posts and such. I have a question and hopefully Joey will get back on here and answer it for me sometime:

I noticed in a video on youtube you holding a dtxpress module. Is that what you use for your drum sounds? I know on your myspace it said that you have the DDRUM triggers and I was just wondering what you go into from the triggers to get that sound?

Also, do you usually have the guitarist lay down a track to a click and then do drums? or do you do drums first? What is your technique on that?

Thanks for any answers you can give!
RCW

Hey, this forum is pretty cool. I joined tonight after reading some of the posts and such. I have a question and hopefully Joey will get back on here and answer it for me sometime:

I noticed in a video on youtube you holding a dtxpress module. Is that what you use for your drum sounds? I know on your myspace it said that you have the DDRUM triggers and I was just wondering what you go into from the triggers to get that sound?

Also, do you usually have the guitarist lay down a track to a click and then do drums? or do you do drums first? What is your technique on that?

RCW

no, that was my friend roger's touring gear
and he didnt end up using it live after a few shows

why does everyone on the planet think that you have to use a module with drum triggers? lol

you record the triggers, and use them as transients into a drum replacer plugin.

He's running podfarm on the INPUT channel. That way he only has to run one instance and it won't bog down his system, even after 8 or 10 layers or whatever. Downside is if you don't like the tone at mix, you'll have a lot of offline processing to do.

thanks for clearing that up for me dave =]
it seems confusing at first i know haha

RCW

i require all bands to have demo's
and urge them to have bpm's, if they dont, i tap out their demo's

i dont mess around with tempo, its super super super super super important to have the right tempo for a song.

after that, i have the smartest person in the band sit next to the next smartest person in the band and make the scratch tracks with me. this requires smart people :lol: if you dont, you'll end up with a short verse or something retarded will be missing. i repeat, WILL be missing.

then when it comes time to track drums, its just ME and the DRUMMER. no worrying about having a buntch of other people come in on time, possibly fuck up the drummer, get bored of playing the same thing over and over, bitch and complain blah blah. the scratches are already there, the drummer just jams to them with the click on.

i tend to make very complete scratch tracks (every single part is recorded, and in stereo). its worth the effort when you do a few albums and go, oh if i had known this part was going to be here, i would have had the drummer do this instead.

I've definitely had the "oh shit didn't know that part was in there, would have had you play something different" thing happen more than a few times. I'm still to impatient to do super complete scratch tracks. Some guitar players have trouble playing tight to just a click, and if the scratch guitars are loose its just gonna fuck the drummer up. And fuck spending hours editing scratch tracks.

Best case, IMO, is to have the band demo everything to a click then just lay it in the session and leave it muted. It's there to reference and is easy enough to chop up and stretch it if the arrangement or tempo gets changed. Sometimes I'll even high pass it a little and feed it to the drummer's mix just enough to give him some familiarity.

thanks for clearing that up for me dave =]
it seems confusing at first i know haha

:kickass:

I end up doing something similar, but with a DI and a miced cab. One thing I find annoying about Nuendo / Cubase is not being able to group tracks for editing like PT. I think they kinda tried to solve that with folder tracks, but those just suck.

I've thought about trying to solve that for a DI and amp situation by recording to a stereo track with one on either side but somehow only monitor the amp side in mono. Im sure you could do it with the nuendo panner or some plugin. That way the edits would be locked together and stretching etc. would be phase coherent. It would be a cool idea, but I guess I just got used to shift selecting both tracks and figured it would be more of a pain in the ass than it would be worth.

:kickass:

I end up doing something similar, but with a DI and a miced cab. One thing I find annoying about Nuendo / Cubase is not being able to group tracks for editing like PT. I think they kinda tried to solve that with folder tracks, but those just suck.

I've thought about trying to solve that for a DI and amp situation by recording to a stereo track with one on either side but somehow only monitor the amp side in mono. Im sure you could do it with the nuendo panner or some plugin. That way the edits would be locked together and stretching etc. would be phase coherent. It would be a cool idea, but I guess I just got used to shift selecting both tracks and figured it would be more of a pain in the ass than it would be worth.

oh dude i know what you mean, if i had a dollar for how many times i've had to re-select something because of this crap RAWR

i dont quad track anymore, quad tracking succks
your opinion, and you're def welcome to it.

however, many many amazing sounding CDs are quad tracked, and it's my preference when the music warrants it, and the players are capable.

hey, how's that Sea Of Treachery you did Joey? saw it in Best Buy, but shy of plunking down the shekels for it, not having heard any of it.

i have the smartest person in the band sit next to the next smartest person in the band and make the scratch tracks with me. this requires smart people if you dont, you'll end up with a short verse or something retarded will be missing. i repeat, WILL be missing.

then when it comes time to track drums, its just ME and the DRUMMER. no worrying about having a buntch of other people come in on time, possibly fuck up the drummer, get bored of playing the same thing over and over, bitch and complain blah blah. the scratches are already there, the drummer just jams to them with the click on.

i tend to make very complete scratch tracks (every single part is recorded, and in stereo). its worth the effort when you do a few albums and go, oh if i had known this part was going to be here, i would have had the drummer do this instead.
that's pretty much my exact same workflow, from pre-pro to drum tracking session. every song, very tightly double-tracked scratch guitars to click... all tempos, meters and markers in place and confirmed correct and more importantly... good and right for the song.

one extra little thing i do here, that i've not seen anyone else doing, is that i automate a mute on the click channel immediately after the last beat is played... keeps click out of OH's during cymbal decay at the end of the song.

i don't care though if some band members are present at drum session though, in fact i prefer for the main songwriter of the band to be there with us, just to confirm that he is also happy with what the drummer and i come up with.