For the fans of old kalmah

May 13, 2004
For those of you who like the old stuff more then the new stuff, what do you think of their new style? i think for the revolution sounds pretty cool but i can tell they are going in a direction (lyrically and musically) that isnt as appealing to me as before. For years this has been my favorite band but I have to admit a new band has taken their place.:cry: I never even listen to black waltz at all...period. but i listen to the old shit non stop. I never expect bands to stay the same but I just find myself not as intrigued as i once was by their music. I'm not putting down kalmah at all or well fuck it i guess i am, i want more swamp music period. anybody else feel this way? i guess this is premature considering i haven't heard the new album. ohhh god here comes the flaming i know some people are gonna be pissed. :kickass: :zombie:

what band has replaced Kalmah as your favorite may I ask?

p.s. I do partially feel the same way, that the first three albums will always define Kalmah, but I don't think Kalmah will ever cease to make good albums.

I am personally a fan of every single one of kalmah's album's so far. I love all of them, though I think I liked the black waltz album the best, though that and swampsong both at my top spot. Of course swamplord was a very insane "dark classical/swamp" album and "they will return" was the most swamp metal album, I feel that with their new album it is going to harness alot of the elements from their previous album, evolve on their most riff intensive album, the black waltz, (which sort of combined alot of kalmah's key elements into one) and add a really epic classical almost black metal feel. I love the combination of high and low vocals and I just hope it wont be a black waltz II album. I don't a rehash, but an album that is quite evolved from it, yet perserves all the greatness of it.

One of my favorite parts of "the black waltz" album was how the low vocals had huge sense of rythm to the music. Songs like "heroes to us" "tordah" and many others, had huge sens of rythm as well, they were just with high vocals (I don't really have a preference of high or low vocals). I think if they can combine the rythm with the low vocals, high vocals, add elements of their swamp nature, add the "dark classical" epic/symphonic, almost black metal feel to it, and add amazing riffs to the album, it will certainly be an album to check out even if you didn't like the "black waltz" album. From the title track it seems that they have accomplished this and I hope the rest of the album lives up to the hype. An example of that "dark classical" epic black metal thing I was talking about listen to "Of Genesis and Apocalpyse" from this band http://www.myspace.com/axamenta

I don't get where all of this "new style old style" shit is coming from. The only difference between the Black Waltz and the "old style" is the vocals. Pretty sure With Terminal Intensity has the SAME FUCKING GUITAR LEAD for the intro, save a few notes. Groan of Wind satisfies all of that nice melodic shit they've done in the past, To the Gallows gets the anthem covered, and BMS brings the heaviness just like they have always been doing. Honestly the amount they've progressed since swamplord is almost unnoticable compared to most bands. Never thought I would hear someone bitching about Kalmah's "new direction". Anyone heard the new Bodom, Norther, Soilwork, In Flames, Arch Enemy, Amorphis, The Haunted, Edguy, Iced Earth, Sonata Arctica, etc? Listening to their debut and their newest release it's basically impossible to tell which band is which if you've never heard them. Kalmah has changed a bit but their general style is incredibly similar. And the track For the Revolution reminded me of the shit I heard off of "Swamplord" so I wouldn't worry too much.

the strongest melodies are definitely on the first three albums, although the black waltz is awesome and the new track is promising...

at least theyre still playing some type of death metal with blast beats and havent abandoned their roots like in flames or anything like that.

yeah I also feel the same at first I was a bit " disgusted " by TBW but now I got used to it and I love it. I still have to admit that the 3 first albums are the best they did until now ( even if I never heard the Ancestor material ), in my opinion. The "Kalmah feeling" is slowly vanishing, but I do still like their music a lot !!

Im a fan of the old kalmah of course but the new stuff is cool too as long as they don't abandon what made them unique in the first place. I also like bands that progress and add suprises on every album but dont loose their trademark sound, so Im pleased with the new song alot and yes kalmah doesnt' know how to release shit albums. The fan base is broadening ,maybe more tours will happen as a result of this. Damn am I anxious to hear the new album cranked on the stereo with (lyrics booklet)= something Bodom hasn't figured out how to do yet.

I don't get where all of this "new style old style" shit is coming from. The only difference between the Black Waltz and the "old style" is the vocals. Pretty sure With Terminal Intensity has the SAME FUCKING GUITAR LEAD for the intro, save a few notes. Groan of Wind satisfies all of that nice melodic shit they've done in the past, To the Gallows gets the anthem covered, and BMS brings the heaviness just like they have always been doing. Honestly the amount they've progressed since swamplord is almost unnoticable compared to most bands. Never thought I would hear someone bitching about Kalmah's "new direction". Anyone heard the new Bodom, Norther, Soilwork, In Flames, Arch Enemy, Amorphis, The Haunted, Edguy, Iced Earth, Sonata Arctica, etc? Listening to their debut and their newest release it's basically impossible to tell which band is which if you've never heard them. Kalmah has changed a bit but their general style is incredibly similar. And the track For the Revolution reminded me of the shit I heard off of "Swamplord" so I wouldn't worry too much.
I agree with you man (with the style not really changing like other bands). I think the Black Waltz is more keyboard prominent and dominant. Sure, the melodic guitars are there (and they are amazing), but the symphonic elements are very strongly used. Also, the Black Waltz drums are the best of all albums in my opinion, meaning there are many intricate blast beats, very technical, and comlex beats and rythms. And of course the vocals. (dont have to talk about that) Something no one talks about is the booklets and Kalmah logo. I personally like the old booklets and logo better, but thats not THAT important. I think why they changed the booklets is because they wanted to get away from the color scheme such as other bands have done, CoB, Norther,ect. And the logo, i think they might have changed cuz of the style. I love the new song and im sure the album "For the Revolution" is gonna be amazing!! SORRY FOR THIS BEING SO LONG!!:loco:

I think the Black Waltz is more keyboard prominent and dominant
I don't think so. To me, the most keyboard prominent album was easily TWR. With a new keyboardist there's an obvious change in keyboard sound and I think that's what stands out to you on the The Black Waltz.

As for the 'new style' and 'old style' I think there is a definite distinction. Not an extreme distinction like someone like In Flames. I've always seen the first two albums as extremely melodic. Swampsong was still in the same vein as the first two albums but with a subtle difference in style that's similar to what we eventually got with The Black Waltz. Black Waltz comes off as really different because there is a different keyboard style and then the more obvious change in vocal style. But there is also a big change in the guitars. Still very heavy, still fantastic but a little less melodic throughout the album.

I think the change is more comparable to Dark Tranquillity. Listen to one of their first albums and then listen to one of their latest. There's a definite change in style, but it's still great and doesn't alienate old fans.

I don't think so. To me, the most keyboard prominent album was easily TWR. With a new keyboardist there's an obvious change in keyboard sound and I think that's what stands out to you on the The Black Waltz.

As for the 'new style' and 'old style' I think there is a definite distinction. Not an extreme distinction like someone like In Flames. I've always seen the first two albums as extremely melodic. Swampsong was still in the same vein as the first two albums but with a subtle difference in style that's similar to what we eventually got with The Black Waltz. Black Waltz comes off as really different because there is a different keyboard style and then the more obvious change in vocal style. But there is also a big change in the guitars. Still very heavy, still fantastic but a little less melodic throughout the album.

I think the change is more comparable to Dark Tranquillity. Listen to one of their first albums and then listen to one of their latest. There's a definite change in style, but it's still great and doesn't alienate old fans.

When i say that the black waltz is more keyboard prominent i mean that the changed keyboard style(more symphonic) is much noticable and stands out. They Will Return is very keyboard driven but i think the guitars still dominate...but TWR's keyboards are very insane! I agree with you about DT. I have all their albums and I like all of them.

I don't get where all of this "new style old style" shit is coming from. The only difference between the Black Waltz and the "old style" is the vocals.

How you can say that is beyond me. It's pretty clear to me that Swamplord, They Will Return and Swampsong are different than The Black Waltz. I see that as a band decision to change their sound a little bit. 3 albums of the "old" sound is just the right amount IMO. The major differences to me are the guitar effects (distortion) and the new keyboarder.

Have you ever heard of Infernal death? It's a Groan of Wind sample but with the old sound. The difference is obvious.

And don't forget, Kalmah DID NOT change their style. They changed their sound.

Yeah see you're just putting words in my mouth. If you read the whole post, my main point was that compared to virtually every single metal band in existence, Kalmah has changed a VERY small amount in terms of style, song structure, sound, leads, etc. Elements from Swamplord can be found on the Black Waltz, and vice versa. You will not hear elements from Something Wild on Blooddrunk.

And yes I've heard Infernal Death a shit ton. Yes the SOUND is different, but the style is the topic of this thread not the way Kalmah tunes their instruments or impliments distortion, keyboards, etc. All I'm trying to say is Kalmah hasn't really changed that much.

How you can say that is beyond me. It's pretty clear to me that Swamplord, They Will Return and Swampsong are different than The Black Waltz. I see that as a band decision to change their sound a little bit. 3 albums of the "old" sound is just the right amount IMO. The major differences to me are the guitar effects (distortion) and the new keyboarder.

Have you ever heard of Infernal death? It's a Groan of Wind sample but with the old sound. The difference is obvious.

And don't forget, Kalmah DID NOT change their style. They changed their sound.
awww man when i heard infernal death and bitter metallic demo that had the old style it was sick as FUCK. then they released and i was like WTF U WHORES. still badass songs but MAN did they butcher bitter metallic or what! u guys im not saying i dont like them anymore theyre still sick as fuck i just a swampman :kickass:

Well, TheDon, i don't want to argue with you as i get your point but you did say that "The only difference between the Black Waltz and the "old style" is the vocals". That's where my reply came from.

I think what he is saying is that kalmah has changed, as most bands do, but they didn't do a complete change. They didn't go from emo to death metal. They evolved more or less, rather than changed. To me, a huge difference between the black waltz and the others (besides the vocals) is the production. It is much darker sounding than the last three, while TWR Swampsong and Swamplord have a similar production. We all know that the keyboard's sound is different in TBW and the album is heavier/more riff filled etc., but they still have the same "swamp metalness" to them. I don't think it is vanishing as some people put it, I think it is just changing, becoming more evolved, IMO more symphonic etc.

He took COB for example. They had a huge neo classical sound and now if you listen to Are you dead yet or blooddrunk the neo classical style is, for the most part, gone. They become more mainstream IMO, thus having a huge change, where as kalmah has changed, but still remains a swamp metal band. If one doesn't like TBW and liked all of the last three, it is mostly because of the lower pitch vocals.

I understand the claims made about the "new style"... We'll never get another song like Hades or Withering Away. Those songs are amazing, and perhaps they shouldn't bother treading the same ground over and over again, but I think a pretty clear stylistic shift has taken place. I appreciate the new stuff as well, of course. And I'm glad they didn't stick to all-growls like we heard on TBW.

Less than a month before we find out what the new record has in store for us!!!

I think what he is saying is that kalmah has changed, as most bands do, but they didn't do a complete change. They didn't go from emo to death metal. They evolved more or less, rather than changed. To me, a huge difference between the black waltz and the others (besides the vocals) is the production. It is much darker sounding than the last three, while TWR Swampsong and Swamplord have a similar production. We all know that the keyboard's sound is different in TBW and the album is heavier/more riff filled etc., but they still have the same "swamp metalness" to them. I don't think it is vanishing as some people put it, I think it is just changing, becoming more evolved, IMO more symphonic etc.

He took COB for example. They had a huge neo classical sound and now if you listen to Are you dead yet or blooddrunk the neo classical style is, for the most part, gone. They become more mainstream IMO, thus having a huge change, where as kalmah has changed, but still remains a swamp metal band. If one doesn't like TBW and liked all of the last three, it is mostly because of the lower pitch vocals.
I agree with you 100% in that Kalmah is evolving to a different sound (Symphonic Melodic Death Metal). Their STYLE really remains similar to their "old stuff" to a certain degree(melodic riffs, great solos,fast opens) Of course, they arent gonna be the same, its just normal for a band to progress in my opinion. In kalmah's case, i think they are progressing really great and I cant wait for "For The Revolution"!!