For those of you NOT familiar with ICED EARTH....

Saladbar

Jose Saladbar
Feb 12, 2007
Elgin, IL
Now you have no excuse!!!!!

Century Media Records has set a February 22 German release date for "Slave to the Dark", a comprehensive box set featuring all featuring 14 CDs plus a DVD covering the band's years as a Century Media recording artist. The set includes the following titles:

* Iced Earth (1990)
* Night of the Stormrider (1991)
* Burnt Offerings (1995)
* The Dark Saga (1996)
* Days of Purgatory (1997)
* Something Wicked This Way Comes (1998)
* Alive in Athens (Live) (1999)
* Melancholy (2001)
* Horror Show (2001)
* Dark Genesis (2001)
* Tribute to the Gods (2002)
* The Blessed and the Damned (Best Of) (2004)
* Alive in Athens (DVD) (2006)

thumb.jpg

I thought I heard days of purgatory was the CD where Ripper sang Barlow-era songs..doesnt seem right, what is the cd? another live one?

I thought I heard days of purgatory was the CD where Ripper sang Barlow-era songs..doesnt seem right, what is the cd? another live one?

no, DoP is where the band re-recorded songs from the first three albums, with Barlow on vox. The Burnt Offerings re-recordings were pretty much pointless, and the Stormrider material was better the first time around... so the only real reason to have it is for the remakes of the s/t songs (particularly Iced Earth, Colors, and When the Night Falls).

What I'm wondering is... are these the US versions (the 1-disc DoP and the 2-disc AiA), or the GOOD versions (2 and 3-disc, respectively)?

I would like to see full details about this release. I looked around, but couldnt find anything. Amazon has it listed at 206.99 though.

no, DoP is where the band re-recorded songs from the first three albums, with Barlow on vox. The Burnt Offerings re-recordings were pretty much pointless, and the Stormrider material was better the first time around... so the only real reason to have it is for the remakes of the s/t songs (particularly Iced Earth, Colors, and When the Night Falls).

What I'm wondering is... are these the US versions (the 1-disc DoP and the 2-disc AiA), or the GOOD versions (2 and 3-disc, respectively)?

Century Media has both the 2 disc DOP and 3 disc AIA in the stores. I've seen em both at various Best Buy's over the past few years.

Century Media has both the 2 disc DOP and 3 disc AIA in the stores. I've seen em both at various Best Buy's over the past few years.

Yes, but the 1- and 2-disc versions (respectively) are considered the "US" versions, because they were made specifically for this market. I happen to own the "European" versions, myself. What I was asking was which versions are included in this box set. It's strictly out of curiosity on my part, because I have no intention of buying the box; everything in there that I want, I already have.

Good question. I own the 2-cd DOP and the 3-cd AIA and someone that buys the 1 cd and 2 cd versions will be missing a hell of lot, almost to the point of getting ripped off.

Also, why is Dark Genesis on there? That was a box set that included the first 4 albums plus the Purgatory demo. Are they selling first 4 albums twice?

And for those who can't buy this box, which album is the best to begin with Iced Earth?

In my opinion, get the 3-cd version of Alive in Athens. You get all the "hits" and you also get to hear the old songs with Matt singing them.

But in another hand, I love to discover a new studio album... I heard some good stuff about Something Wicked This Way Comes, a good choice?

Something Wicked This Way Comes = Win

The dvd is weak, it's pretty much the live cd with footage from a different night. Sometimes the music is not in synch with the footage.