Slave To The Dark (Iced Earth box set)

Iced Dog

The Stormrider's Pooch
Sep 29, 2003
Grand Rapids, MI
www.facebook.com
Century Media Records in Germany have put together an all-encompassing ICED EARTH box called Slave To The Dark featuring 14 CDs plus a DVD. Due out February 22nd, it will include the following titles in mini gatefold sleeves from the Century Media catalog: Iced Earth (1990), Night Of The Stormrider (1991), Burnt Offerings (1995), The Dark Saga (1996), Days Of Purgatory (1997), Something Wicked This Way Comes (1998), Alive In Athens triple- live CD (1999), Melancholy (2001), Horror Show (2001), Dark Genesis (2001), Tribute To The Gods (2002), The Blessed And The Damned - Best Of (2004), Alive In Athens - The DVD (2006).

According to the Iced Earth camp, "it is a legit re-release by Century Media of the back catalog. There was no collaboration between Century Media and Iced Earth on this release."

83078.jpg

The packaging looks and sounds very cool. Obviously it's a Century Media cash-in, but there are many items included that I don't currently own, including Dark Genesis items. Another site gives a somewhat ambiguous CD listing. The "alternative mix" Burnt Offerings and Hellspawn Dark Saga tracks are intriguing...but I'm wondering if the first 3 studio albums are the remasters or the originals...hopefully the latter because those are out of print, and would definitely be the clincher in me buying it. Word on the street is it will be 90 Euros ($130).

thats alot of fucking cds

id like to get it but dont feel like dishing out 130 big ones.

I would think that the first 3 discs would be the original recordings since the re-masters are included in the Dark Genesis set. Don't know for sure though..... That being said, I have all this stuff except the DVD and the compilation.

And I thought Tribute to the Gods was included in the Dark Genesis set as well.....

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Slave-Dark-Century-Media-Earth/dp/B0012RM4M2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1202674928&sr=8-2"]Holy shit![/ame] CM better release this domestically or it's Ebay here I come :D

I never understand why people buy box sets. Either you're a fan, and you own 90% of the stuff in the box set, or you're not a fan, and buying one CD would seem like a more realistic starting point. Are there enough "collectors", that have to have these box sets, that make them profitable for the record labels?

Zod

I never understand why people buy box sets. Either you're a fan, and you own 90% of the stuff in the box set, or you're not a fan, and buying one CD would seem like a more realistic starting point. Are there enough "collectors", that have to have these box sets, that make them profitable for the record labels?

Zod

Well I bought the Gamma Ray- Ultimate Box (The first 6 CD's). The reason I bought that was
1. It contained the six CD's remastered and with 3 bonus tracks in digipack.
2. The reissues were available exclusively in the box first
3. I saved about $30 buying the box
4. When the reissues were released it was hard to find some of them.

So to answer your question,yes most box sets are a cash grab from record companies. But some, especially in this case are worth it. Also when I was out to buy some Led Zeppelin CD's years ago I saw the box set with all of their CD's for $99.99. Great value as it is now worth $200.

Zod

I am a fan. I don't own much from them. I'm tempted, but at the same time I feel like this isn't really a good package deal. I'd save money just buying all the albums I don't have. So I've decided not to get this.

But for some bands box sets can make some sense as its a way of getting things cheaper than buying each individually.

But yes, I generally agree with you.