for those who know about ESP

the alumnus

Nov 25, 2002
Visit site
so i just got my first bass yesterday, an esp b 204 (sorry steve, the F series is one ugly mother), and i'm curious if anyone knows if the pickups are active or passive. i've read on harmony central that eq is active, but the pickups are passive.

I'd chosen F-204.. not much more expensive (imho looks better :D ) 35" scale, baeeters (but also passive) pickups..
I think of ESP F-205 or Spector Pro5 for next bass... they both sounds excellent in death metal :D

Yeah...If your pickups are EMG-HZ; I've been told by the guys down there that the pickups are passive but it has active circuitry powered by a 9-volt battery. They also install active EMG's, but those either don't have any print on the front of them or just have EMG on there. Those are considered a better pickup, but I have both and prefer the EMG-HZ passive ones. As well as I prefer the F series models (sorry to you man, each to his own). But I like the B series too, I have a B-205 I think (haven't broke it out in a while).

SDG

thanks for the info! i don't really like active pickups in guitars, so i figure that i'm better off with passive pickups in my bass anyways (but i really dig the active eq). though upgrading to active seems pretty easy with the current config if i change my mind. now i just have to get a whole new set of calluses on my right hand to match my left.

i feel that active pickups in guitars makes them lose their character. also, there is something about the feel of active pickups that i don't like as much as a good hot passive pickup. i wouldn't trade my dimarzios for emgs.

Higon said:
Ooooo I would. There´s a Brazilian bass brand (Wood). They use active EMG pickups and the EMG BTC system (pre-amp?). Two 9 volts batery. Sounds GREAT!

well, maybe emg in basses is different than for guitars. i've found nothing beats dimarzio in guitars if your aim is to shred.

I think we're getting off track here. The first dude said that he likes active in his guitar and is learning to prefer passive in the bass. I totally agree - through experience. Try them both out is all I can say. It is way different for guitar than for bass. With bass you want more of an amplified natural sound, you want the sound of the wood and the strings. With guitar, weak as it is, you need to boost and saturate the minimal frequencies as much as you can to get it to sound even good enough to be half of the usual dual guitar layering most, almost every band uses.

So there.

SDG

hey steve...

i have few questions :
- i think i'll buy an Ibanez BTB-406... what do you think about it ?
- isn't the ESP five strings bridge made with a too small string spacing for a good and confortable right hand play ?

Usual 4string bass has 19mm (0.75") string spacing @ bridge, but usual 5string has 17mm (0.66") so it's ok.. Look at Ibanez SR, Spector and many more 5string basses..
Of course you can find 19mm 5 string (Yamaha BB, Fender) or even 22mm (Warwick Wide-Necks).

sounds expensive man. esp was good because it was inexpensive but played well for the price. if i had the money i would have considered something like a modulus. my guitar store has a wicked green one.

Well I got a Conkling Groove tools 7 not custom made And i got it for 1000 and I has a veyr nice sound and a good electronics like bartolini pickups.

1000 isn't much, but my current financial situation is pretty dire, and that's over twice the amount i spent on my esp. actually that's probably what the modulus was running. now if i had a job, things would be different....

preetee cool mfckr that f... but does it really matter?? check for the sound ,man ,otherwise you'll be disapointed