For you Devin Townsend people (and Keenan)

devintownsendihavenohea.jpg

Bump because its Devy's 40th today. Happy birthday Dev.

And off the record, I'm playing Ghost over the sound system in the living room - my parents love it. :guh:

Nice!

After listening to Physicist and Ocean Machine a few times, I think these are my favorites, best to worst.

Strapping Young Lad :

City
Alien
The New Black
SYL
Heavy as a Really Heavy Thing

Devy's solo stuff :

Addicted!
Ziltoid the Omniscient
Accelerated Evolution
Terria
Biomech : Ocean Machine
Deconstruction
Ghost
Infinity
Ki
Physicist
Synchestra

Thoughts?

My turn!

SYL:
Alien
City
The New Black
SYL
Heavy as a Really Heavy Thing.

Devy:
Ziltoid
Deconstruction
Ki
Ocean Machine
Addicted!
Infinity
Accelerated Evolution
Terria
Ghost
Punk Bruster
The Hummer
Synchestra
Devlab
Physicist

It changes all the time though.
I've been listening to Ocean Machine the most, and I'm always listening to Ki ^^
I don't like Physicist as an album. The live versions of the first few songs are really great, and I like Irish Maiden and Forgotten. I think the synths are a bit to prevalent in the whole mix. Gives me a bit of a headache.

Ooh! Me! ME!

SYL:
City
Alien
SYL/New Black
Heavy

Devy Townsend:

Deconstruction
Ki
Ziltoid
Infinity/Addicted
Synchestra
Ocean Machine/Terria
Ghost
Accelerated Evolution
everything else.

Ki is like my ritual album for the mornings. LOVE that album.
Deconstruction's replay value is amazing.
Also, City is the holy grail. I will argue to the end for that.

No love for Accelerated Evolution OR Terria from either of you!? THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU. :lol:

No love for Accelerated Evolution OR Terria from either of you!? THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU. :lol:

I really like both of those albums but on a scale of Devin Townsend albums they are just piled under loads of ones I like more.
If you took that list and made my best 100 albums ever they would all be in there and relatively intact (as in not much would come in between)

And Home Nucleonics is boss.

The only one that wouldnt be in that list is phzizzzizzzizizt

........ I'm actually listening to Physicist right now. :lol: I still enjoy it more than Synchestra.

Why is Ki is highly rated from you two though? I'm intruiged.

I forgot to mention, Underneath The Waves is pretty good as well, as far as "Not-As-Well-Known-Songs-From-City".

Why is Ki is highly rated from you two though? I'm intruiged.

Part of it is due to the way Devin described it (to me at least) - a quiet album - as opposed to Ghost which is a peaceful album. While you can obviously tell Ghost is supposed to be light and relaxing, Ki unintentionally does that to a sense. Its just that Ghost is more of a "bubbly, whimsical" peace (Texada, Blackberry, Feather), while Ki has more of a stoicism to it (Terminal, Winter, Lady Helen) - like it wants to be peaceful but still has some rough edges to it, like it has some skeletons in its closet that it wants to get rid of (Disruptr [which on record, I don't like], Gato, Heaven Send). Makes for a calm album which I can enjoy more thoroughly.

If it makes no sense, forgive me.

Makes perfect sense.

I don't really like it because to me, it sounds like it doesn't know what to do, which ironically, is how Devin desribed making it.

Ki is just brilliant.
I love all the false starts it had. It builds it self up and up and it wants to go and then it calms down. (What Dude said) Also, Ain't Never Gonna Win up until Ki is one of my favourite things to listen to ever.

Synchestra and Physicist both have their moments. It might be because I've seen some of Synchestra live. Some of the songs I dig and some parts of songs I like, for example in baby song where it goes a bit mad (but the start of that song makes me cringe.)

But Forgotten is so gritty its unreal, I love it. Just makes a nice change from Bad Devil.
He can drink my pee anytime.

Synchestra and Physicist both have their moments. It might be because I've seen some of Synchestra live. Some of the songs I dig and some parts of songs I like, for example in baby song where it goes a bit mad (but the start of that song makes me cringe.

I personally like Synchestra because its soooooooo happy like. Kind of. Like, there was Devy happy like in Infinity, Terria, and Addicted, then this.

Also, Immature bump.

11ql3tk.jpg