Forbidden at Jaxx last night...

eaeolian

Division Guitarist
Feb 11, 2002
Woodbridge, VA
www.division-usa.com
...as promised, a rundown of the show.

Since it was the first date of the tour, everything was late - the gear arrived late, soundcheck was late, etc. This show sold an awesome 13 tickets through TicketBastard. Attendance was, at peak, about 115, I'd guess.

The first band was that awful Division. Glad they were over early. ;)

Bonded By Blood was exactly what I expected - energetic, with good presence. Their latest disc doesn't floor me - it's not bad, but not a must-own or anything - but they were rather fun live.

I missed a substantial chunk of Gama Bomb having dinner. I was less impressed with them live than I am their latest disc. The vocalist seems more one-dimensional in a live setting.

Evile were tight and professional. I like them live better than on disc, and they put in a solid show.

I honestly didn't know what to expect from Forbidden. I was pleasantly surprised - they were very, very good, other than some minor issues like Mark breaking a snare head and Craig breaking strings left and right. Set list was good, too (from memory, so I'll probably forget something):

Forbidden Evil
Step By Step
RIP
Adapt or Die
Omega Wave
Twisted Into Form
Rape
Green
March Into Fire
Through Eyes of Glass
Parting of the Ways/Infinite
Forsaken at the Gates
Chalice of Blood

Russ sounded good, Mark's a fantastic drummer, and Smyth pretty much nailed Calvert's stuff. Overall, I was impressed with the energy, especially as the show went on and they got loose. By the middle of the tour, they should be awesome.

I'm so sorry we couldn't make it.. we had to prepare for this weekend's f'ing INSANITY. I'm sure you guys were brilliant, as usual.

I cant wait. I hope Reggies doesnt toss on a local act to this perfect bill. Nice Forbidden set list too. I agree with you on Evile.....when I saw them on the Kreator tour they were less than impressive live. I am going to this in a few weeks.

I'm so excited for this show. This package is coming through Atlanta in a few weeks with Overkill as the headliner. Overkill's first show here in about 15 years! Nice to hear that Forbidden puts on a good show.

I'm so excited for this show. This package is coming through Atlanta in a few weeks with Overkill as the headliner. Overkill's first show here in about 15 years! Nice to hear that Forbidden puts on a good show.

Yeah, that show is going to rule...can't wait. I've never seen Forbidden and haven't seen Overkill since the WFO tour.

I'll be seeing them with Overkill on 11/20 at Starland Ballroom. The last time I saw Forbidden was in Middletown, NY( can't remember the venue)- it was on the Distortion tour and they tore the place apart. Look forward to seeing them again.

Ohhhhhhh man I can't wait for the C-bus show on the 17th. I've never had a chance to see Forbidden live and I'm so amped. Plus, the set list looks OK, I would have prefered more from Twisted - like all of it - but not too bad. Was really hoping to hear One Foot in Hell.

I've never seen Bonded nor Gama live before. I like them both on disc. Evile I really thought were great live when I saw them open for OverKill.

Add OverKill to the mix and will be an amazing night of thrash!

I had pretty high expectations going into the night, having waited for so long to have a chance to see Forbidden. I was looking forward to being blown away by their set, and they did a decent job of trying to meet that bar. Overall satisfied, though not quite what I was hoping for which probably speaks more to my unfairly high expectations and reverence for their records. Mike is probably right that they will tighten up a bit more into the tour and I hope I get the chance to see them again later on. Inifinite, TIF and Rape were highlights of the evening and definitely got me moving.

Division put on a great set as usual. I really need to give Control Issues some spins so I can be a little more prepared next time. Eleventh Hour sounded great and... WWAAAAAARRRRRR! Fun!

I knew absolutely nothing about the remaining bands. Bonded By Blood put on an enjoyable set.. the band sounded good. The vocalist was... different and took some getting used to, but it was nice to hear him get around to singing for the last song of the set.

Gama Bomb was a lot of fun and a treat to watch. I don't have a lot (any) of Irish trash metal with a sense of humor in my collection... perhaps I should check into them further.

Evile was tight, though nothing stood out and grabbed me. Then again, a live set at Jaxx (and just before the much anticipated Forbidden) wasn't the fairest place from which to make their case.

All in all a good way to spend a Thursday night.

- Chris

I had pretty high expectations going into the night, having waited for so long to have a chance to see Forbidden. I was looking forward to being blown away by their set, and they did a decent job of trying to meet that bar. Overall satisfied, though not quite what I was hoping for which probably speaks more to my unfairly high expectations and reverence for their records. Mike is probably right that they will tighten up a bit more into the tour and I hope I get the chance to see them again later on. Inifinite, TIF and Rape were highlights of the evening and definitely got me moving.

They absolutely got better as the night went on. I'm really surprised they're opening with "Forbidden Evil" instead of "March Into Fire", since that's a lot easier for Russ to sing...

Division put on a great set as usual. I really need to give Control Issues some spins so I can be a little more prepared next time. Eleventh Hour sounded great and... WWAAAAAARRRRRR! Fun!

Thanks! That's a fun cover to play...

I knew absolutely nothing about the remaining bands. Bonded By Blood put on an enjoyable set.. the band sounded good. The vocalist was... different and took some getting used to, but it was nice to hear him get around to singing for the last song of the set.

To be fair, he's the fill-in vocalist - and he was just singing the existing lines.

All in all a good way to spend a Thursday night.

Agreed. Friday morning wasn't much fun, though. :lol:

Yeah, that show is going to rule...can't wait. I've never seen Forbidden and haven't seen Overkill since the WFO tour.

Same here. I bought my ticket for the show here in Orlando yesterday. Actually I can't remember the last tour I saw Overkill on, it's been years. And I'm really looking forward to seeing Forbidden finally. Should be a killer show!

Forbidden Evil
Step By Step
RIP
Adapt or Die
Omega Wave
Twisted Into Form
Rape
Green
March Into Fire
Through Eyes of Glass
Parting of the Ways/Infinite
Forsaken at the Gates
Chalice of Blood

That's an awesome set list. We got way less than that. But then they were opening for Overkill. Both bands were great. They could have done with one (or two) less opening bands before Forbidden and Overkill to give Forbidden more time on stage (They only got 45 min). Overkill got an hour and a half so no complaints there!

I have never been a big Thrash fan, save from a few bands. That being said, I figured I'd give the new Forbidden a shot. Total blind one for me - very nice digipack package and a surprisingly tight album. Can you guys recommend some other albums by them so I can check out?

I have never been a big Thrash fan, save from a few bands. That being said, I figured I'd give the new Forbidden a shot. Total blind one for me - very nice digipack package and a surprisingly tight album. Can you guys recommend some other albums by them so I can check out?

Twisted Into Form and Forbidden Evil!

And Distortion after that.