Forced Evolution Roughmix

Lasse Lammert

HCAF Blitzkrieg
Feb 12, 2009
www.lasselammert.com
Hey, here's a mix I'm working on atm, its pifos' Band...
I really like the song/music...I gotta admit that I have a tough time mixing this one though....

I'm not really used to mixing programmed drums, so this is quite a challenge for me....(actually can't remeber ever having had to work with programmed drums)

some tweaking (esp on the drums) will be done etc
the mix ain't fully finished yet but you get the idea.

be gentle! :)
Forced Evo

Yeah I hope you guys will like it. Lasse will mix 3 songs for a demo/promo cd.

Its Greg Fender for the vocals (raw stuff) btw, our very own sneap forum member Uladyne.
He really made a great job !!!

Holy shit Nic, first off this music is so fucking awesome - Europeans always deliver the goods! As for the mix, definitely coming along, though the snare is a bit boxy and dry and could use more air (and 'verb) IMO; I really like the cymbals, so those rule, great definition, but also I don't feel the kick is too fat but rather could use a lot more attack to cut through; I can feel it, but can't really hear it. Same with the bass, it could use a lot more definition IMO. And the guitars are good, but too middy IMO (though maybe more bass would make that less apparent). Anyway, coming along nicely dude, vox sound great (though growls could be just a touch louder IMO)

Nic, you WILL tell me when this is finished, I'll be first on line to buy it! :headbang: And Greg did the clean vox too? Fuck yeahs, sounds great duder!

Holy shit Nic, first off this music is so fucking awesome - Europeans always deliver the goods! As for the mix, definitely coming along, though the snare is a bit boxy and dry and could use more air (and 'verb) IMO; I really like the cymbals, so those rule, great definition, but also I don't feel the kick is too fat but rather could use a lot more attack to cut through; I can feel it, but can't really hear it. Same with the bass, it could use a lot more definition IMO. And the guitars are good, but too middy IMO (though maybe more bass would make that less apparent). Anyway, coming along nicely dude, vox sound great (though growls could be just a touch louder IMO)

you pretty much nailed what I was planning to work on.
esp. the snare and the bass-guitar. I do like the kick very much like it is though (the bands decision in the end), and I didn't wanna give the guits the uberscooped tone but more the smooth 5150 bite, so the guitars are actually like I wanted them to be, too (again, the band decides).

but yeah, especially the snare is still bugging me a bit and I'll try to give the bass a bit more bite...not too easy though cause the hits are very fast and a bit clicky (fingerplayer?) so I had to control the upper mids a bit...
but those two things are defintely on my list for tomorrow

Nic, you WILL tell me when this is finished, I'll be first on line to buy it! :headbang: And Greg did the clean vox too? Fuck yeahs, sounds great duder!

Sweeet :) It should be on our webshop in few weeks.

The clean vocals are made by a german dude that my guitarmate Ulrich met at his music school in Holland.
He's a fucking great singer. There are 4 clean vocals tracks everytime there are clean vocals. 2 are the main part doubled, the 2 other are harmonies. I only applied a bit of Melodyne here and there, just to make sure that everything is in tune when the guitars and keyboards are coming in.

But he was already 99% in tune. That vocals session (one afternoon for the 3 songs) was a really blast !!

esp. the snare and the bass-guitar. I do like the kick very much like it is though (the bands decision in the end), and I didn't wanna give the guits the uberscooped tone but more the smooth 5150 bite, so the guitars are actually like I wanted them to be, too (again, the band decides).

but yeah, especially the snare is still bugging me a bit and I'll try to give the bass a bit more bite...not too easy though cause the hits are very fast and a bit clicky (fingerplayer?) so I had to control the upper mids a bit...

Cool, looking forward to hearing it!

The bass was played with a pick. But its true that this LTD is a bit clicky. And what the hell with tracked the bass with the other guitar player, we don't know shit about playing bass :)

I like the kick too. From where I listen, it has a good click and a nice low end.

yep, plenty of attack in the kick on all my systems, too.
the singers are actually both really good...the screams were really easy to mix, just a bit of compression and hardly any EQ needed.
I'd be surprised if Forced Evolution won't get some attention in thefuture...I'm giving my best to work on the mix til you're satisfied (not marcus though...to please him would be impossible, lol ;) )

I really like the mix. The guitars kick ass in my opinion.
I don't know, everything seems ok to me.
I also don't really care for growling vocals in general but the overall song is really good and the clean singer is excellent. Good job to both of you.

This sounds great.

Aside from the fact that it's fantastic song, I think the mix is awesome and the kick drum is fine. It fits nicely in the mix and adds that nice thud that fleshes out the mix nicely.

I can't really say anything else that other people haven't said. :lol:

Good job. :)