Format C: For Cortex

IOnceWasLegend

New Metal Member
May 31, 2008
I just picked up Damage Done the other day, though I'd heard a few songs off it before, and started reading the lyrics (I love reading, and lyrics are one of the most important aspects of a song to me). After reading the lyrics, and listening to the song, it hit me like a song hasn't hit me in a long time.

My interpretation, though it's quite possible I'm WAY off, is that of someone speaking to an unborn child. Taken in that context, it completely blew me away; and I'm now thinking about incorporating a second DT verse/lyric into a poetry tattoo I'm working on, with both my own and other's poetry.

(For those interested, so far from DT it's:

"There's no need for you to start revolutions/don't want you to talk to the minions/Just show me a brand new face/an open mind against a dying race",

and a combination of V for Vendetta and "The Mundane and the Magic":
"Artists use lies to tell the truth/and so my lies are always wishes/lies that make me see/beyond the rational" )

Not a big deal, but just curious if anybody else has ever had anything like that hit them in a song out of the blue.

dood the solo gibs me teh shiv0rz

edit: also the "in time......not what you dreamed" gibs me teh shib0rz

I hate people who write that way (of course exceptions can be made in a humorous context), so please, try to use decent English.

I love the song.

It is a great song, but for that album, The Treason Wall or Single Part of Two. They are cracking songs the pair of em, and two of the best they've ever done as a band in my humble opinion. :)

There's really very little off Damage Done that isn't awesome.

I'm in agreement with DE there.

But quite honestly the structure and pacing of Hours has always gotten to me (as well as the topic, of course).

After that, it's Treason / Cathode / and Format

~kov.

This is one of my favorite songs ever from DT, def among my favorites for DD.

Id say Cortex/I Deception/Cathode/Hours are prob my favs from this album.

Over time, 'Damage Done' has become my favorite Dark Tranquillity album. the song that really gets to me is 'Cathode Ray Sunshine'. I can't really explain why. It just makes me think of people watching sunshine on TV because there isn't any real sunshine in the world, like a photograph of hope long departed. It's very sad, and yet strangely optimistic. I don't know, it gives me major goosebumps. 'Hours Passed in Exile', 'Monochromatic Stains', 'Single Part of Two', and 'Format C: For Cortex' are close, especially the first one.

Damage Done is Perfect DT. Nothing is better in there Discography imo.

Single Part of Two
Hours Passed in Exile
Cathode Ray Sunshine
Format C:For Cortex - SOMETHING HAS GOT TO GIVE! ROAR! \m/
Monochromatic Stains
Damage Done
Final Resistance
Treason Wall!

Hehe @ your signature: Archetype 32 plays

Ontopic:
Damage Done is awesome, yay.

I really should be a poet.

My interpretation, though it's quite possible I'm WAY off, is that of someone speaking to an unborn child.

i dont know if you actually wanted to know what it was about, but i found this post on songmeanings.net and it made the most sense to me:

"Arntor
06-14-2006

Rated +1
To me the song seems to be about wanting to start over, rebooting one's mind. "Format C:" is what you do when you want to reformat your computer and the majority of people use "C" to represent the HDD. It maybe a stretch but thats just my interpretation"

hope that helps you out

i dont know if you actually wanted to know what it was about, but i found this post on songmeanings.net and it made the most sense to me:

"Arntor
06-14-2006

Rated +1
To me the song seems to be about wanting to start over, rebooting one's mind. "Format C:" is what you do when you want to reformat your computer and the majority of people use "C" to represent the HDD. It maybe a stretch but thats just my interpretation"

hope that helps you out

That's kind of obvious I guess :p. Nice way to revive 3-year-old threads by the way.