Format changes for the fest

Diabolik

Sep 30, 2005
Chicago,IL
www.facebook.com
There has been a few idea's tossed around about changing some things...just checking to hear your opinion with them.....

1. Less band and longer set times on the stages? 30 minutes for the early bands is short for a lot of people. We were talking about possibly adding more time but cutting a band from each night on the main stage...so at most it would have 6 bands on friday and maybe 7 / 8 on saturday. Second stage will have 4 on friday and 5 on saturday.

2. With longer set times we are trying to work it where there is less over lap with the two stages....it will be hard since if one band runs late or if there are issues it will effect everything. But it stinks when a band plays to an empty room.

3. The second stage room may be for newer / younger bands and some classic cult bands. So you would get to see more classic bands at the fest this way as well. Just because a band is from the 80's and has 1 album out or a demo only doesn't mean they are worth having on the main stage. This will also help strengthen the line up too.

4. Better handle on the raffle. This past year was real bad. This year there will be a posted time for each item being raffled off.

Any other things that you would like to see improved? Changed? Speak now or forever hold your peace.

I agree on less bands overall, for the reasons mentioned.

I think a cool guest MC would be fun.

Kevin seems like a nice enough guy but he seems like he is there moreso to promote his radio show than to psych the crowd up for the next band. I know u need to sell the sizzle but even those six feet under by now know he is from "sonic asylum". With less bands it could open the doors financially to fly in a more well known front man or woman to MC.

Another thought I had, while I know seems cheesy to some, is a formalized meet n greet schedule. Maybe hold it in the room between the rock room and music joint where second stage merch was this year. I know I like to get stuff signed when possible.

Last thing which could be cool would maybe be having a formal announcement of a band or two for the following year. I know for logistics reasons this may not be possible as date / venue may not be 100% locked down.

For the past three years there was a plan to have a meet n greet but you saw how packed it was to have that in that side room this past year. It was such a mess with people and bands in their. The only real place to have it would be upstairs in the patio thing I think. Only issue is getting the bands there. It is hard enough to get them to even go and get their wristbands.

Yeah, less Sonic Asylum Radio shit would be nice, and less "are you guys having fun der der der" shit in between bands. This isn't a fucking Poison show.

Also, get more traditional doom.

Less bands and more time is good. I'm about 50/50 on the less overlap. This past year I did have issues picking a band, but at the same time I do love being able to go to a different stage if I don't like a band.

I'm not an autograph guy, but for those who do, I just think Reggies is a hard venue for that to work. Plus, as I've noticed at Progpower, you do that and there are less people watching the bands. I just think it would be a logistical nightmare.

Personally, I don't think there needs to be an MC. Just let the bands play and just have Odin up there when we do raffles. Most MCs I've seen at shows and fests, just make me cringe.

1/2 - I could go either way on these issues. I like the idea of longer set times as well as less overlap, but on the other hand I think the status quo has worked quite well so far. How about starting earlier on Saturday?

3 - I like this. I thought it was weird that Vatican got moved to the main stage last year (nothing against them of course, they were great). As long as there are still some newer bands getting the exposure they need/deserve then I'm all for it.

4 - Yes, last year's raffle was bad. I thought it went well the previous 2 years though.

1/2 - I could go either way on these issues. I like the idea of longer set times as well as less overlap, but on the other hand I think the status quo has worked quite well so far. How about starting earlier on Saturday?

3 - I like this. I thought it was weird that Vatican got moved to the main stage last year (nothing against them of course, they were great). As long as there are still some newer bands getting the exposure they need/deserve then I'm all for it.

4 - Yes, last year's raffle was bad. I thought it went well the previous 2 years though.

The only downside of starting early on saturday is it cost and also people get tired easily and by the end of the night they are leaving early or just beat. Plus on our end on saturday we still have bands leaving and coming in on saturday so most of the morning is filled with that. We get to the club at 1 and still there is never enough time to get it set up perfect. it was great to see everyone come in early for this years with Savage Master / Zuul opening. I think we are keeping it the same this year with that 4 pm start time.

There will be lots of newer bands as well. I have one all set from Canada and one still in talks from LA. I am going to ask this week a few more and see if they want in as well. With cutting back on the amount of bands I don't want to fill it up too soon.

less kevin and more me. haha

cutting a band from the small stage would be good and having the last band on the small stage end early enough so that everyone can catch the main headliner. maybe you do this already? fuck. i don't know.

less kevin and more me. haha

cutting a band from the small stage would be good and having the last band on the small stage end early enough so that everyone can catch the main headliner. maybe you do this already? fuck. i don't know.

yeah this past year I wanted to have the second stage done before the co-headliner even.