second day quick recap

Diabolik

Sep 30, 2005
Chicago,IL
www.facebook.com
Two points were proven that Jason was wrong about.....Gates of Slumber were not a draw. And people stayed for Oz.

Felt bad for the last two second stage acts. I have some idea's next year that will solve the second stage problems if the second stage happens next year.

Bands of the night for me were...

Oz
Shok Paris
Vindicator
Winterhawk
Borrowed Time
Demon Bitch

and I have to admit and I even hate putting this in writing on the internet where it will come back and haunt me....Ancient Dreams did good. Lots of people liked them. Glad they did well.

It was odd....seemed less crowded on saturday. Someone made a great point saying lots of old timers came out to see Tyrant's Reign and Wrath and Paradoxx. Maybe they needed one of those bands on saturday night.

There was alot of people shopping during Gates of Slumber, im not a huge fan but i enjoyed listening to them.

No on cares about Central Disorder, i could care less about them like most people at the fest. I feel bad for Lords of the Trident because they are supposed to be killer live. It sucks that I had to miss them but its OZ so i expected no one to watch Lords. They should be a mainstage band next year, opening act and they can get the crowd pumped with their antics.

OZ simply kicked ass. But they only played for like an hour, which i was surprised about but they were so good. And they all signed my record happily after the show!

Shok Paris was awesome, but why play the same song twice? haha

Seax was pretty cool, had alot of energy.

Sleepy Hollow was meeh in my books. Bob Mitchell has never been my favorite voice, and hearing it live it still didnt draw me in.

October 31 was awesome, despite not knowing any of their stuff. They were just a fun band, and King Fowley is an awesome guy, just like everyone says.

Viking was awesome. Thrash was the first metal genre I really got hardcore into and they brought it live. So much energy, wish I couldve been in the pit for them.

Didnt really get to catch anything on the second stage because of the table in the balcony. But i did come over for 2 Demon Bitch songs and they ruled live. Logan is one weird due though...haha I also caught one Winterhawk song and they rocked it!

It was slower for vendors on the second day, as expected, but I think we all did fairly well still. Im also glad I brought my box of used cds from the personal collection has plenty of people snagged up the $3 - $5 titles. I sold almost all of my black/death metal stuff in the box so i was very happy about that, it paid for my purchases! So everyone that spent their hard earned cash, thanks for the support!

My recap:

Ancient Dreams: You guys did pretty damn well. I was surprised. As you guys knew going in, the crowd went crazy for the Angel Witch cover.

Demon Bitch: Didn't care for them at all except for the Priest cover, which is odd because I usually am picky about Priest covers. I just didn't care for the dude's voice.

October 31 - This one killed me as it was when we were eating, so I only got to listen to a handful of songs. Really fantastic live and King Fowley is a great frontman. I really hope I somehow get to see them again sometime.

Gates of Slumber: Did a fantastic set but it was a problem that there weren't many people there. Part of it could have been who they were competing against, part of it also could be that they play here often. I don't recall Jason saying they were going to be a draw though. Hour of 13? Certainly but not GOS.

Winterhawk: Goddamn they were amazing. The thing that sucked is I really wanted to see both them and Shok Paris, so I didn't see the whole thing but wish I had. Glad they had their merch too as I had been wanting their stuff for a while. Everyone said it previously, but this band really should have been on the main stage.

Shok Paris: As I said it sucked I had to choose, so I stepped in for 3 songs during Winterhawk's set and 2 more after Winterhawk's set. Really fantastic live but Winterhawk was the better band. I still wish they weren't competing. Is it just me though or does the singer remind anyone else of Dusty Rhodes? Yes, the wrestler. And I agree with Mendyk, playing the same song twice was odd. Really wish they had cds for sale as some of their discs are pretty pricey online, but like Omen they brought nothing.

Viking: HOLY FUCK!!! I was fortunate to be on the rail for them and they were quite intense live. Really high energy. I wanted to get their "Man of Straw" album, but like Skullfist last year, they need to lower the price of their cds.

Oz: I am another that will eat my words as I didn't think Oz would draw that well. They did and people were crazy. In fact, the pit area was more intense during them than for Viking, which I wasn't expecting. The only complaint I had and it could have been due to being upfront is that I had a hard time hearing the singer. Also, like Mendyk said, I wish they would have played longer, but at the same time they don't have the most extensive of catalogs.

Thanks guys! I had a blast and I am happy that people enjoyed it!

The music joint stage was out of control yesterday! I was there pretty much the whole night except for last minute shopping and some of Oz. Great sets from Olorin, Demon Bitch, Borrowed Time and Winterhawk! And Lord of the Trident...WOW! They were incredible. Yes, cheesy, but super entertaining and top notch musicians and they had good songs. Any band that lights things on fire will win me over. Would definitely see them again and yes I agree they should be on the main stage. I was able to catch some Oz and they sounded pretty good. I was glad to see they had a good crowd. Overall a great year and again an improvement over the previous year.

The vendors were great and I bought a lot more than I was expecting!

October 31 - This one killed me as it was when we were eating, so I only got to listen to a handful of songs. Really fantastic live and King Fowley is a great frontman. I really hope I somehow get to see them again sometime.

funny...everyone now is like....King is great....this is why I have been posting for years about coming to see Deceased live. Basically a heavier version of Oct 31 with the same antics. King knows how to put on a show...if you noticed as well..he was in the crowd singing along through almost all of Oz as well. That is a fan.

Shok Paris: As I said it sucked I had to choose, so I stepped in for 3 songs during Winterhawk's set and 2 more after Winterhawk's set. Really fantastic live but Winterhawk was the better band. I still wish they weren't competing. Is it just me though or does the singer remind anyone else of Dusty Rhodes? Yes, the wrestler. And I agree with Mendyk, playing the same song twice was odd. Really wish they had cds for sale as some of their discs are pretty pricey online, but like Omen they brought nothing.

I asked Vic about shirts and stuff...he said they only have a few older shirts and he wanted to get the new album done and do shirts off that. Have it all tie together. I thought Ashbury was super smart...made special shirts for the show. More bands should do this. Those shirts sold like crazy.

I was more shocked that it was less crowded on saturday. I do hope we can have the fest at Reggies next year and do the second stage again. I think now seeing the ups and downs of it will help next year. I have two thoughts....feel free to give you opinions on them....

1. Just have that stage get done right when the co-headliner plays...but then reggies loses a stage for that time.

2. Have something say....if there is a band like Oz playing, have something different like a black metal act who is sort of a name play next door so basically it is like two seperate shows going on. Something that may draw different people who have no cares about a band like Oz so you still get a draw on both stages. I feel really bad about the bands who lost out playing against the headliners...Inner Siege and Lords. I owe them both. I would love to see them get a shot at the mainstage next year since it would be great payback for them.

Also...I was so glad the second stage did so well on saturday. It was great to see all the bands get people there to watch them. It was almost like a mini show within a show. I am just grateful that people spent most of the day in there and not just treat it as something to walk into for a few minutes and walk out. I hope bands got some networking and stuff out of it.

I had a few of the bands come up saying they would do it again next year on the second stage in a heart beat. so that is good.

First day I barely saw the second stage, but second day I spent most of my time there without planning to. Some great bands, especially Demon Bitch and Borrowed Time. Almost missed Shok Paris because Winterhawk were so good I didn't want to leave.

I think those are both good ideas regarding the second stage problem. Also maybe offset the start times more than a few minutes. Not sure if it would really help but I know there was at least one time when there were no bands playing on either stage.

funny...everyone now is like....King is great....this is why I have been posting for years about coming to see Deceased live. Basically a heavier version of Oct 31 with the same antics. King knows how to put on a show...if you noticed as well..he was in the crowd singing along through almost all of Oz as well. That is a fan.

You're acting like no one believed you. I wasn't disputing that; in fact I had been getting into October 31 for months in preperation of the show. It just was bad timing as it was when I ate. I'll look into Deceased.

I wouldn't have noticed during Oz since I was at the rail.

I was more shocked that it was less crowded on saturday. I do hope we can have the fest at Reggies next year and do the second stage again. I think now seeing the ups and downs of it will help next year. I have two thoughts....feel free to give you opinions on them....

1. Just have that stage get done right when the co-headliner plays...but then reggies loses a stage for that time.

2. Have something say....if there is a band like Oz playing, have something different like a black metal act who is sort of a name play next door so basically it is like two seperate shows going on. Something that may draw different people who have no cares about a band like Oz so you still get a draw on both stages. I feel really bad about the bands who lost out playing against the headliners...Inner Siege and Lords. I owe them both. I would love to see them get a shot at the mainstage next year since it would be great payback for them.

Also...I was so glad the second stage did so well on saturday. It was great to see all the bands get people there to watch them. It was almost like a mini show within a show. I am just grateful that people spent most of the day in there and not just treat it as something to walk into for a few minutes and walk out. I hope bands got some networking and stuff out of it.

I had a few of the bands come up saying they would do it again next year on the second stage in a heart beat. so that is good.

IDK if it was less packed Saturday or it was more evenly distributed between both stages or maybe people showed up later, as it definitely had a lot of people by the time Viking and Oz went on.

I think second stage stopping right before the co-headliner is the best idea. I wouldn't do what you're suggesting though in doing a totally different kind of act on the second stage. I think it's possible to run into the same problem with the side stage band having almost no one there. Plus, most of the people who attend the fest by way of your example aren't going to want to see a black metal act, and I doubt a huge group would come for that.

I would second though that changing the start and stop times a bit between the first and second stage would be a good idea, that way if there's a situation like the Winterhawk/Shok Paris situation, that you're at least able to catch a bit of both.

there are a lot of death metal and black metal people who didnt come out to the fest in Chicago because a lack of it. Maybe having two decent names in the genre headline the mainstage with two co-headliners would draw on the second stage....Reggies did want music all night there so ending early is hard.

Is Ragnarokkr the kind of fest that should have black/death metal? Call my tastes narrow, but if the lineup got watered down by extreme metal bands then it'd make me even more hesitant to shell out money for this thing. I'd be fine with a band like Midnight or Ares Kingdom or something I suppose, but if you want this fest to be more like the US Keep it True, then I think it'd be best to stick to the traditional metal guns on this

Is Ragnarokkr the kind of fest that should have black/death metal? Call my tastes narrow, but if the lineup got watered down by extreme metal bands then it'd make me even more hesitant to shell out money for this thing. I'd be fine with a band like Midnight or Ares Kingdom or something I suppose, but if you want this fest to be more like the US Keep it True, then I think it'd be best to stick to the traditional metal guns on this

No..not generic stuff but stuff with some cross over appeal. Stuff like Midnight, Acid Witch, Nunslaughter, Bones, Scythe and stuff. I know not many here like these bands but it would add an injection to the turnout. Even if it was just the second stage even. Just so there is a crowd on both stages.

From an outsider's perspective, NO. Chicago already has a great death/black fest (Cathedral of the Black Goat). No need to add death/black here. Crossover appeal stuff like Midnight is a different story, and Ho13 would have fit this criteria too, but the fest seems to be doing pretty well with the current formula!

Very glad this did well by all accounts. I'll make it out one of these days...

From an outsider's perspective, NO. Chicago already has a great death/black fest (Cathedral of the Black Goat). No need to add death/black here. Crossover appeal stuff like Midnight is a different story, and Ho13 would have fit this criteria too, but the fest seems to be doing pretty well with the current formula!

Very glad this did well by all accounts. I'll make it out one of these days...

yeah but I think unless out of no where more people start coming in....it will be too hard to get bigger acts because with the cap that hit this week...it still isnt going to cover all the cost...so having different types of genres on the second stage even would help bring people in. I mean I would not want the corpse paint black metal stuff but bands that maybe are like black thrash and stuff wouldnt be bad. While the turnout was great I wish it was more.

Allow me to respond to some of Bob's claims first before my review.
I mean, based on feedback all weekend, it's a highlight for many of you!! :)

First off I NEVER said Gates was going to be a draw.
I said it would be a band that folks at the fest would enjoy.
They were a perfect last minute addition and were all GREAT guys and appreciative of being there.
And not that it's ANYONE'S business, but I got them for the fest for a f*ckin steal!
Sorry, but I won't tolerate bashing them, esp since you are only doing so in order for you to say that no one wants doom at the fest. Fair enough. Don't book any anymore.

Second, I will agree that OZ did better than I would have expected. A lot more cared than I would have thought. Maybe I was just so tired, but by the time they played, I just truly didn't care. They did a great job though.......

Ok - onto the recap.......

Music Joint Stage:
Olorin - They did a good job. I had trouble hearing the vocals....

Ancient Dreams - What a great first gig for us! Thanks to all of you who watched. It was a blast. I was worried at first as the crowd seemed thin but people kept coming in. This seemed to happen a lot, where as one band finished people would migrate to the next, which was cool. Bob - Glad you liked it. Don't know why it pains you to say so!!!! Anyhow, thanks again sir for having us. Thanks again to JP for joining us for Angel Witch. That was so much fun. We made a lot of great contacts. I mean when Jordan Macarus walks up to you and says that him and his band mates thought we were great, well, that just made my freakin weekend!!!!

Demon Bitch - great performance. you can tell they love what they do. Killer Priest cover. Perfect for this kind of fest

Borrowed Time - Only caught three tunes because I had to go see Gates. They just keep getting better and better and tighter and tighter as a live band. I am so happy for them that they had a great gig and great response

Winterhawk - WOW!! What a crowd response. I figured they would go over well, but this was a band that MANY people came to see. Lots of faces in the crowd who I didn't think would be into Winterhawk too were there to see them. Right after their set I walked up to Jordan and said, "See!! I told you these are the types of gigs you guys need to be playing" Highlight for me was them playing "Ace in the Hole" and "Intro"

Lords of the Trident - Only saw the first song since it overlapped with OZ. They do know how to put on a show. After OZ I went back in and they were chatting it up with the few folks who were left in that room. They seemed to really appreciate the folks who stayed to see them. From FB I can tell that for a period of time Reggies weren't letting folks back into the Music Joint room so they may have lost a few migrators unfortunately. I will have the song "Sky Force" stuck in my head for days.

Main Stage:
Vindicator - Only caught a couple songs so I can't really comment.

Seax / Sleepy Hollow - Conflicted with Ancient Dreams so I missed both

October 31 - Unfortunately only caught 3 songs. They were killing it up there!!!! Wished I could have seen their whole set.

Shok Paris - This conflicted with Winterhawk so I walked in only briefly, but did catch Steel and Starlight, so at least it was a good one. They seemed very tight as a band. Would love to get the chance to see them again. I see they made a Blabbermouth report that this was their first Chicago gig in 25 years (Last time being at the Metro with Lizzy Borden).

The Gates of Slumber - As always, they are a very cohesive live unit. The small crowd who was there certainly enjoyed it and knew their stuff. They were against Borrowed Time who is obviously more of an appeal to the Ragnarokkr crowd. As I said above, all three guys were very appreciative of the opportunity to play the fest.

Viking - I think I saw 2 or 3 songs. Sorry, nothing at all stuck out for me, but I wasn't paying that much attention at that point. I was spent!!!!

OZ - Already made some comments above. They did a great job. I was so beat by then.