Former ANTHRAX Guitarist ROB CAGGIANO: 'My Heart Simply Wasn't In It Anymore'

swany76

May 4, 2008
"If you were to ask me to give you the absolute main reason why I decided to leave ANTHRAX, I would tell you that I left because my heart simply wasn't in it anymore. I had a blast playing with those guys and they will always be family to me, but outside of my guitar solos and production work, ANTHRAX was never a creative outlet for me (musically). That wasn't by any choice of my own by the way; it's just the way it is."

So what are your plans moving forward as a producer?

" It's the smiles and excitement people have when they listen to it that make it worthwhile for me. I'm actually in Denmark right now producing the new VOLBEAT album for Universal and I'm extremely amped up about this one. It's the best thing that could have happened to me at the best possible time, and so far, I think it's my best work to date."

Complete interview:
http://www.prosoundnetwork.com/Default.aspx?tabid=69&EntryId=628

Nice first post Anthrax gig. The next Volbeat album mostly likely will be huge (I think there last one, last I checked moved over 200k units and still selling at a good rate) and it'll elevate his name to a new level.

or you can read the fun blabbermouth comments about the interview here:
http://www.blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=185503

Alright, so if Charlie & Scott didn't let Rob write anything, how much do we really think Dan wrote?

Surely Rob must have knew when going in that he was going to be a hired hand and not someone who would be contributing to the lyrics and the music beyond guitar solos.

He doesnt come across as bitter about creative input,he just needs to do his own thing,I really hope anthrax can get rob to produce the next record,I don't think rob will have time though,he will move onto big things

Scott and Charlie write everything and control everything. As much as those guys are dicks they kind of have earned that right. Good for Rob though for doing what he needed to do.

What's funny is Scott acts shocked that Rob left when he didn't allow him to do anything but write solos

He leaves at the height of Anthrax's career. How dumb is that?? I'm surprised he didn't leave after Stomp or Vol.8. It's his choice so it's all good....Movin' on... Anthrax will still continue to rock. They still have the most important guys in the band imo. Tho I liked Rob, I still always looked at him as another fill-in..:)

I'm actually a bit surprised to hear Rob say he didn't really have a part in writing; I actually thought he was a big part of WM when listening to it.

Still, it's nice that there doesn't seem to be any bad blood between anyone.

Nothing surprising here. Scott & Charlie pretty much are and have always been the driving creative forces of Anthrax. John probably had the most amount of input out of anyone else, but in the end Anthrax IS Scott & Charlie.

Wish Rob the best of luck, and I look forward to hearing new music from him.

He leaves at the height of Anthrax's career. How dumb is that?? I'm surprised he didn't leave after Stomp or Vol.8. It's his choice so it's all good....Movin' on... Anthrax will still continue to rock. They still have the most important guys in the band imo. Tho I liked Rob, I still always looked at him as another fill-in..:)

Rob's played on 2 studio albums, WCFYA & Worship Music.

3 if you count TGOTE as a "Studio Album"

I'm sad about this. I will always love anthrax and feel like they just never get a break. Still good to see everyone on good terms.

questions - was Rob a full member of Anthrax?
it felt to me that especially on WM Rob and Joey had a lot of input. I felt like the melodies and song construction Rob played a big role.
did Rob write in the Damned Things? wonder if he'll remain in that project.

I think The Damned Things is done

I'm a hardcore Anthrax fan obviously. I also enjoy S.O.D. and Armored Saint. Even some Helmet and Pearl.

Anonymous, I think you may be right about the Damned Things being over. Especially considering the fact that I cant't even think of a DT song or recognize one. I gave them a try. Perhaps not enough. My love of all things Anthrax couldn't overcome the fact that DT simply didn't grab my attention enough or impress me. I wish otherwise because Anthrax is a band known for taking their time and going on hiatus and uncertainty. So any diversion or side project would be welcome as long as it was good and exciting the way S.O.D. was in 1997(re-reunion), 1992(reunion), or 1985(inception).

I honestly can't think of a better reason for Rob to walk away than that. If you don't feel the desire anymore, than it's time to walk away. I'd rather see him leave than stay and be unhappy. Good for Rob for having the courage to leave a steady job when he felt it was time to go.

I honestly can't think of a better reason for Rob to walk away than that. If you don't feel the desire anymore, than it's time to walk away. I'd rather see him leave than stay and be unhappy. Good for Rob for having the courage to leave a steady job when he felt it was time to go.

I agree. We might have had something to do with it with our bickering over setlists;)~. If I had to play got the time every night, I'm pretty fuckn sure my heart wouldn't be in it. He probably just got burnt out.

On another note. I'm not quite sure I'd want him to produce the next LP. Don't get me wrong. I think his production work was stellar on the albums he's been involved in. But it might be awkward. Bands often say that their producer is "like another member of the band". Having him back might be like rekindling old sentiments and sometimes it's just best to move on and go forward. This is Anthrax though. So anything is possible.

Next album must have Dan Spitz on it.Thats about the only way they can actually get more hype than the last one. Have a new studio album with all of the members of the classic era of this band.

This is what they should have done just after the reunion tour and saved all of those wasted years afterwards

110% agree with u Kirkland,regardless of what anyone craps on about its the classic lineup that creates such a sound that did seperate them fe there peers all those years ago,everyone doubted Joey and he fucking sang his balls off,there is no reason spitz can hit new heights