Former SLAYER Drummer PAUL BOSTAPH Joins TESTAMENT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eus

TL Photographer
From BLABBERMOUTH:

Former SLAYER Drummer PAUL BOSTAPH Joins TESTAMENT - Feb. 15, 2004

Former SLAYER/SYSTEMATIC drummer Paul Bostaph has officially joined TESTAMENT, informed sources have told BLABBERMOUTH.NET.

The band, whose most recent drummer, Jon Allen (SADUS), reportedly left the group over an "extremely fragile and urgent family situation" involving the health of his 11-year-old daughter, are currently rehearsing with Bostaph for their upcoming live shows in March, including scheduled appearances at Florida's Sun N' Steel Festival (March 6-7) and New Jersey's March Metal Meltdown VI (March 12-13).

TESTAMENT are continuing work on the material for the follow-up to 1999's "The Gathering" and are reportedly planning on entering the studio in April/May to begin recording the album for a late 2004 release through Spitfire Records. The band will likely premier two brand-new songs during their festival appearances next month, the sources have told BLABBERMOUTH.NET.

Bostaph is no stranger to the TESTAMENT camp, having played several live dates with the group in 1992 and appeared on the band's 1993 live EP, "Return To The Apocalyptic City" (Megaforce/Atlantic). He subsequently spent nearly a decade in SLAYER, with whom he recorded four full-length albums (1994's "Divine Intervention", 1996's "Undisputed Attitude", 1998's "Diabolus In Musica" and 2001's "God Hates Us All") before leaving the group (for the second and final time) in December 2001

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
im so fucking happy, he is a killer drummer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! my fav testament line up was
the return to the apocalyptic city ep line up with bostaph and alvelais!!!!

riki.JPG

Paul's a fellow former San Luis Obispo resident and a great guy
and a f'ing awesome drummer! GOOD JOB TESTAMENT!

weed2.jpg

An official press release issued by the SLAYER camp had listed a chronic elbow injury as the reason for Bostaph's departure — an account later disputed by Bostaph, who almost immediately went on to join San Francisco Bay Area metallers SYSTEMATIC.

"I didn't leave SLAYER because of an arm problem, and I certainly didn't leave SLAYER to join SYSTEMATIC," Paul told the San Francisco-based Internet music magazine Perfect Pitch Online last year. "I was ready to go. It was nothing personal towards anybody in the band, it was just my time to leave. Musically, I wanted to do something else. And in terms of the problem I had with my arm, I re-aggravated an old softball injury by lifting up a laptop at the airport. That happened right at the beginning of the tour, and it never had time to heal. But even at that point, I was considering moving on from the band.

"SLAYER's a great band, and I had a lot of fun playing with them, but I have to feel like I'm taking chances musically.

"The first time I left SLAYER, I did [a project called] THE TRUTH ABOUT SEAFOOD. Sure, it never got signed, but I enjoyed it a lot.

"SLAYER took my drumming to a new level, but there are also other levels of drumming that I haven't even touched yet. I want to become a more eclectic drummer."

Bostaph officially left SYSTEMATIC last October, with the rest of the band attributing his departure in part to Paul's slower-than-anticipated progress following a knee surgery last fall. He has since been replaced in that band by his predecessor, Shaun Bannon.

From BlabberMouth.Net

COMMENT | YEAH

posted by: hhiirr666

2/15/2004 10:44:39 AM
BOSTAPH @ WALDROCK. Very nice.

spacer.gif
COMMENT | this guy is a bitch. fucknuts

posted by: dirtytaintmd

2/15/2004 11:02:38 AM
cant make up his mind.

spacer.gif
COMMENT | Nice to see he finally recovered from his "injury"

posted by: DeadGuy

2/15/2004 11:17:23 AM
Why can't bands just be straight with us when members leave?

At any rate, fuck you Bostaph for leaving Slayer high and dry during the the God Hates Us All tour, but thank you for departing and leading to the return of the superior Lombardo. I doubt your perofrmance on this album will be on par with Lombardo's on "The Gathering". That was simply amazing drumming.

Amd what the hell is taking so long with this release. I thought they had been writing material for it since the Spring of 2002?

spacer.gif
COMMENT | yeah

posted by: platinum maze

2/15/2004 11:18:24 AM
he says he wants to do something different, then joins another thrash band?!?

It's good for Testament though, he's awesome.

spacer.gif
COMMENT | TESTAMENT

posted by: Rich Roxx

2/15/2004 11:22:16 AM
FINALLY THE TRUE METAL DRUMMER PAUL BOSTAPH OF(FORBBIDEN EVIL/SLAYER) IS BACK WHERE HE BELONG IN TESTAMENT. PAUL WILL SHINE ONCE AGAIN ON UPCOMING TESTAMENT CD AND LIVE SHOWS. FUCK SLAYER FOR NOT REALZING PAUL'S TALENT...

spacer.gif
COMMENT | Slayer are totally boring,no wonder he left....

posted by: ARDY

2/15/2004 11:24:07 AM
I'd get sick of playing the same 3 beats too,can't blame him on that one.I think his playing was real strong with Forbidden.Playing for Testament would be way more fun than playing for slayer.Testament have more to offer musically and diversity wise.Good move Paul!!!\m/

spacer.gif
COMMENT | You're a Fuckin' Moron.

posted by: Deadwired

2/15/2004 11:37:28 AM
Testament are much better than Slayer. This guys not indecisive, he's moving on to real Thrash.

spacer.gif
COMMENT | They havent even started recording yet??

posted by: SlayerNPG

2/15/2004 11:43:25 AM
Jesus! He's a good drummer, but they'll never top The Gathering. That album was a masterpiece.

spacer.gif
COMMENT | Testament better than Slayer???

posted by: ICDEADPEOPLE

2/15/2004 11:48:32 AM
HA HA,I dont think so.Slayers albums are far superior to Testaments stuff.And at least Slayer can put out albums and tour the USA on a regular basis.Testament are taking "far" to long to release a new album.And finally,Bastoph is one hell of a drummer.

spacer.gif
COMMENT | For the best

posted by: Dieselhed1

2/15/2004 12:11:42 PM
It's not a ? as to who is better than who. Both bands kick ass. As for drummers, I prefer Slayer with Lombardo and Testament will definitly benifit from having Bostaph behind the kit. Just be glad the guy is playing metal and not some wierd shit like some metal drummers go on to do. I do agree with SlayerNPG in the fact, The Gathering will be hard to beat. Sounds like both bands will have new material out around the same time. Let's see them on the same bill, that would fuckin' jam!

spacer.gif
COMMENT | Never top the Gathering?

posted by: BackInTheVillage

2/15/2004 12:33:24 PM
What ever. All Testament albums top the Gathering except for Demonic. The new one will be no exception. I expect the new one to be what The Gathering should have been. I have no idea how good Paul is as a drummer; he was in a band that hasn't known how to make metal for the past 10 years. It should be interesting to hear what Paul can do in a real band.

spacer.gif
COMMENT | Um, in other words,

2/15/2004 12:40:55 PM
I don't blame Paul for the shit sound and shit drums on the latest Slayer albums. I blame Slayer for that.

spacer.gif
COMMENT | Grah, more

2/15/2004 12:42:13 PM
And that's really fucked up about what's happened to Jon Allen. I hope he pulls through all that and things don't get worse. A shame too, because a Sadus album is long overdue.

spacer.gif
COMMENT | paul sucks huge cock

posted by: dirtytaintmd

2/15/2004 12:53:05 PM
cumlover yup its tru he loves the cock!!

spacer.gif
COMMENT | He did what?

posted by: Nuclear War

2/15/2004 12:53:35 PM
Aggravated an old softball injury by lifting a laptop? How much does a laptop weigh, like 5 pounds? What a Nancy-boy! He was good in Forbidden, and he'll do fine in Testicle, but Slayer's definitely better with Lombardo.

spacer.gif
COMMENT | BackInTheVillage

posted by: hhiirr666

2/15/2004 1:01:53 PM
Eh...

God Hates Us All showcases the most complex AND fast drumming of all Slayer albums. Yes, also RiB.

spacer.gif
COMMENT | BOTTOM LINE:

posted by: the Dude

2/15/2004 1:07:35 PM
This is GOOD news for Testament fans. Everybody was worried about the drummer slot in Testament when Lombardo went back to Slayer, and now people are bitching about Bostaph? Count your blessings, you fickle pickles, 'cause Bostaph will MORE than deliver on the new album!!!!

spacer.gif
COMMENT | I didn't say

2/15/2004 1:12:16 PM
GHUA didn't have fast or didn't have complex drumming. I said it had shit drumming, to go along with the shit guitars, the shit lyrics, the shit vocals, the shit booklet, the shit messages, the shit EVERYTHING. They even released the damn thing on the shittiest day; 9/11/01. The albums sucks, and it's not because of Bostaph.

spacer.gif
COMMENT | PAUL BOSTAPH

posted by: Rich Roxx

2/15/2004 1:15:18 PM
PAUL BOSTAPH AND TESTAMENT WILL PROVE YOU MOTHERFUCKERS WRONG ALL YOU BITCHES OUT THERE. PAUL JOINED TESTAMENT AGAIN SO WHAT AND SLAYER LOST IT'S ORIGINALITY LONG TIME AGO. KERRY,TOM,JEFF AND DAVE SHOULD TAKE A LESSON FROM PAUL AND JOINED OTHER BANDS.

spacer.gif
COMMENT | what the fucking hell

posted by: Orochi

2/15/2004 1:19:16 PM
I, for one, think both bands shall remain more than decent. Even if Slayer's recent albums were shitty, having Lombardo back in definitely enhances the experience. Testament could kick ass no matter what drummer they had really. Both bands own. End'a'story.

spacer.gif
COMMENT | being release on 9/11...

posted by: honkyslayer

2/15/2004 1:23:07 PM
somehow brings down the quality of the music? no way, it's a pretty damn good CD, not their best, but still good, and the drumming on it was quite good, I think having the CD released on that day was almost like predicting t he future, perfect album title for the day, and yes i realize that is pretty twisted, after having to put up with all sorts of bullshit at school that day about the WTC I was quite relieved to finally be able to go get God Hates Us All that afternoon, I'm actually surprised that fundementalist Christian groups weren't trying to get it removed from stores after that, i thought for sure that was gonna happen

spacer.gif
COMMENT | I'm really looking forward to Testament's next

posted by: Turk

2/15/2004 1:48:21 PM
I enjoyed the Gathering immensely

spacer.gif
COMMENT | ICDEADPEOPLE

posted by: Deadwired

2/15/2004 2:06:31 PM
Ok, Testament take some time. At least their past two CD's were actually thrash.

Not to mention, Tool take an average four years to release a CD. They pretty much have the biggest fanbase of any band. Your point is every but valid.

spacer.gif
COMMENT | Poor Testament...

posted by: TheDarklingLord

2/15/2004 2:15:18 PM
They haven't been able to nail down a permanent drummer for years... Though, on the up side, they've been lucky enough to work with some of the greatest drummers in the metal industry: Dave Lombardo, Paul Bostaph, John Tempesta, Chris Kontos...

You know, people always talk about Slipknot being the shit because they have three drummers. Sadly, all three of those drummers suck ass. Now, if Testament could rope in all those drummers they've worked with that I just listed, and had all of them playing complex drum rhythms - even on just a single song - we'd get to see THE SHIT. That would fucking kick so much ass... Can you imagine?

spacer.gif
COMMENT |

posted by: molotov

2/15/2004 2:18:21 PM
Testament better than Slayer? excuse me, i almost pissed myself laughing.
anyway, the album was released on 9/11, so fucking what? i listened to that album when i got it on 9/12 and in between the news and blasting it 3 or 4 times that day--the song God Hates Us All got me through, the perfect anthem for that day. to say it's shit just for the release day is bullshit, it was just a strange coincidence.

SLAYER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MESHUGGAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

spacer.gif
COMMENT | TESTAMENT VS. SLAYER

posted by: Blackwater Park

2/15/2004 2:29:20 PM
Ok, early Slayer (i.e. up to Seasons) is awesome, and probably better than early Testament (i.e. up to The Ritual).

However, post-1994, Testament fucking destroys Slayer. Low, Demonic, and The Gathering are all brilliant records, where as Divine Intervention, Diabolic In Musica, and God Hates Us All, are all painfully mediocre.

As for Paul rejoining Testament, its fucking great news, so long as Paul is back to his old, normal, ass-kicking self!

Listen folks. This is the best of both world here. Bostaph will slay in Testament, and Lombardo has always been the key to Slayer's success!

I can't wait for both bands new albums, 'cuz they are both gonna be fucking awesome!!!!

spacer.gif
COMMENT | The date was right on

posted by: annarocket

2/15/2004 2:30:48 PM
I totally felt the title GHUA on 9/11. I was suprised too,that the religious wing didn't try some stunt to get it pulled from the stores but glad I got it. It made 9/11 more bearable for me as well.

spacer.gif
COMMENT |

posted by: tattooedsean_777

2/15/2004 3:08:13 PM
I wouldn't want to play with the egomaniacs King and Henneman.

I want a Testament,Death angel, exodus 2004 tour!!

spacer.gif
COMMENT | BLACKWATER PARK

posted by: Dead of Winter

2/15/2004 3:50:49 PM
I must respectufully disagree with you. Divine Intervention, Diabolic and especially god hates us all are great albums. God hates us all can be compared to Slayer's greatest albums in my opinion. However, Testament's recent albums are great as well. Thankfully I love both bands and don't have to choose between them :)

spacer.gif
COMMENT | THE DARKLINGLORD

posted by: Dead of Winter

2/15/2004 3:55:35 PM
Statments like the one you made about the Slipknot drummers sucking reconfirms my notion that most people are brainless wastes of skin that should die promptly. Carry on.

spacer.gif
COMMENT | Why the infighting?

posted by: Phonics Monkey

2/15/2004 4:25:06 PM
Testament AND Slayer are both great bands. Why not just jam to both isntead of arguing? They are both very different musically, with Slayer coming from a Metal/Punk background and Testament being a strictly Metal outfit. I was lucky enough to see Testament when Bostaph was in November of 1992 at Harpo's in Detroit, and am looking forward to seeing them live again. I will say this, though: 5 years is too damn long between albums! Come on Testament, Anthrax took 5 years between Volume 8 and We've Come For You All and it didn't help them any.

spacer.gif
COMMENT | Bostaph is a good drummer

posted by: Zoo Keeper

2/15/2004 4:33:19 PM
I am glad he is in a good band...

Wow, that's some crazy but awesome news. I saw him live in 92 w/ Testament @ the Palladium , the exact show where Testament recorded the live "Return to the Apocalyptic City". When did this become "official" ????

Cool news, and best of luck to Jon Allen (meanest lookin' dude I've ever seen)
who I'm sure will still be a friend of the band.

Slayer blow, love live TestAmenT and I AM WAITING FOR A NEW ALBUM
RIGHT BLOODY NOW WHAT THE HELL IS TAKING SO LONG CHUCK HAS BEEN
BETTER FOR OVER A YEAR PUT THE BONG DOWN
RECORD THE DAMN THING AND LET'S THRASH AND KILL THE WORLD AGAIN!!

sorry... we've been waiting... for so long... just had ta scream :)

estigma2001 said:
wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
im so fucking happy, he is a killer drummer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! my fav testament line up was
the return to the apocalyptic city ep line up with bostaph and alvelais!!!!

YES! mine too. I've seen Testament like 26-27 times through various forms and the Bostaph/Alvelais line up was my fave. Well never have seen them with Steve playing so.....................eh. WOOOOOOOO!:cool:

Indeed he does. This is a pretty damn good lineup right here...two of the Bay Area thrash scene's top workhorses, the core of Testament, and...uh...I dunno how to define Steve S, but let's just refer back to that picture.

Out of curiosity, what was he doing before he joined Testament?

Woah! Great news! Bostaph was f-ckin amazing with Forbidden. The Testament lineup now sounds Killer, best of Thrash!!

Status
Not open for further replies.