Former DIMMU BORGIR Drummer Nick Barker Nearly Joined TESTAMENT

Officer Nice

Masshole
Oct 7, 2002
Former DIMMU BORGIR Drummer Nick Barker Nearly Joined TESTAMENT

2004 did not start well for Nick Barker. While on vacation in the Mediterranean, he got a call from DIMMU BORGIR vocalist Shagrath, saying that his services were no longer required. Word of Barker's dismissal from Borgir quickly spread and he almost ended up playing drums for TESTAMENT.

In Nick's own words: “Actually, I was second in line after Paul (Bostaph, ex-SLAYER). Eric (Peterson, guitar) contacted me. They were interested in getting me over to try out. Of course I was ready to jump at the chance. But things worked out with Paul and for Testament it’s more practical to have someone a lot closer to them. Paul lives in California, those guys are in California. It’s less hassle for them to have someone local than to bring someone across the ocean and everything else – drum kit, immigration, that kind of thing. So yeah, I was up for the Testament gig but unfortunately Paul beat me to it. But good luck to Paul and good luck to the Testament guys. I know the new album is going to absolutely rock.”

Now, thats a piece of information!

But personally I would've been disappointed if Barker was selected!

I'm glad Paul got the gig. I wouldn't want testament tainted with Barker's Demon Booger background, no matter how good he is, if he was in dimmu then...just ewwww...

pest666 said:
and some of you doubted the MIGHTY pest when he suggested Nick was a possible replacement......
As I remember TL......said it was just rumors........I never posted about it being true or not........but I remember you had it right.........:Smug:

Nick is a great drummer but he uses triggers and that would sound wierd in a thrash band...too mechanical. When I saw Dimmu the last time I walked to the part of the balcony that kind of hung over Nick's set and he was hitting his kit really lightly. I'm sure he could hit hard if he didn't use the triggers, I mean come on..the guy's a brick! But if he's in the habit of playing like that it would probably take a while to rethink his style. In the meantime Bostaph comes in hitting hard and thrashin' it up! I think he was the best choice for our guys!

When I saw Dimmu live they seemed like the biggest joke I had ever witnessed. The singer had a skirt on, and they were all dressed like, well.... homos. Face paint is just very cheesy imo. Music had no groove either, just whack.

soilkane said:
When I saw Dimmu live they seemed like the biggest joke I had ever witnessed. The singer had a skirt on, and they were all dressed like, well.... homos. Face paint is just very cheesy imo. Music had no groove either, just whack.
That's your opinion. I think they are a really good live band. I've seen them twice and both times they were really solid. The stage costumes are just that..costumes...face paint is a black metal thing (although I don't really think it's necessary either) and they have VERY groovy music. I hate it when people have preconceived notions about a band and don't give the music a chance.