Free/cheap sample loader?

Damian B

¯\(°_o)/¯
Nov 8, 2007
NC, USA
I just downloaded a free set of ethnic percussion .wavs that ought to sound pretty good in the song I'm making, but as of right now I don't have a sampler to load them into. I would like to be able to assign each sample a note value and then play them with my keyboard. Is there a cheap/free program for this?

I have yet to find a sampler that can take several samples into the same key AND play them randomly. Shortcircuit can take several samples but it can only have 1 sample at any given velocity level, it can't have several on the same velocity and randomly play between them. The reason I want this is for programming drums but then again... it's probably worth it getting something like Battery if I'm gonna start programming drums so, it's not really a big deal. It's just cool when freeware stuff can do the same job as commercial stuff, so I'm more inclined at having a freeware oriented workstation.

Anyway, then there is the free version of Kontakt which you can load samples into (not sure if there's a limit to the amount of samples you can bring in though) but Kontakt has a set of very advanced tools to get the samples working the way you want. Lot of options and stuff... but once again, I haven't seen the multi-samples per velocity with random playing as I mentioned :)

I have yet to find a sampler that can take several samples into the same key AND play them randomly. Shortcircuit can take several samples but it can only have 1 sample at any given velocity level, it can't have several on the same velocity and randomly play between them. The reason I want this is for programming drums but then again... it's probably worth it getting something like Battery if I'm gonna start programming drums so, it's not really a big deal. It's just cool when freeware stuff can do the same job as commercial stuff, so I'm more inclined at having a freeware oriented workstation.

Anyway, then there is the free version of Kontakt which you can load samples into (not sure if there's a limit to the amount of samples you can bring in though) but Kontakt has a set of very advanced tools to get the samples working the way you want. Lot of options and stuff... but once again, I haven't seen the multi-samples per velocity with random playing as I mentioned :)

Reason's NNXT does that, and it does it well too. Actually, NNXT is the best sampler I've ever used; no joke. It is like an S5000 on steroids. Wish they'd make a VSTi version of it.

If you were willing to put up with using Record for your tracking needs, you could have quite a nice setup with Reason+Record.

Nice stuff...
Damian could you link to these ethnic percussion wavs as well? :D

There is? Couldn't find a way to load my own samples in EXS24 :zombie: is there something else then?
yea i was thinking EXS24 aswell. Drew drummer, were you reffering to EXS24?
if so then i must have been doing something cause exs24 aint working for me.
drem drummer pls confirm this :)

Must be hidden someway, couldn't find anything from EXS24. I'll have to RTFM :)

Ere thou enter farther into such mysteries, comprehend....

the secret of the samples loader is in the "Edit" button at the top right.

exs-logic-studio.jpg

but still, RTFM :)

Looked in there before, incomprehensible and scary-looking place, just like the Environment. :lol:

As said, I've got to RTFM. I'll have to check the manual every now and then when new things come up. Can't just read it thoroughly once, not from the fucking computer screen. o_O

Learning Logic is really hard when all you have for a manual is a menu on the internet... The accompanying small booklet won't help at anything. Thanks for your help!