Free online merch stores

Let it burn...

Orgasm Donor
Oct 22, 2007
Belgium
My band is releasing our first EP and since we've got some positive feedback by people around the globe, we decided to sell the EP and our shirts online.

So, is there a site where you can make a free merch store that is customizable?

Has anyone actually made any experience or knows of any way to sell instant downloads online? Because I would like to sell my cd as download unrelated to Itunes etc.

So basically ppl click on the buy button and use paypal or credit card and will then be automatically getting an email with a download link to a zip.

A friend of mine who has a very successful online clothing store said that it can be self-scoded, but would be difficult due to all the security risks involved ...

I just set up a Big Cartel page for my band about three days ago, so far it's working out quite well: 7horns7eyes.bigcartel.com

If you want your stuff on iTunes I'm sure there are many inroads, but I know that you have to be "represented" by some kind of company, as iTunes doesn't work directly with artists. My band went through CDbaby after getting our CDs manufactured with Disc Makers. I think it's like one $35 setup fee with CDbaby to get your mp3s submitted to all of the main companies- iTunes, Napster, Rhapsody, Last.fm, Amazon, and plenty of companies I hadn't previously heard of. My band is out there on 25 companies...you can even buy our cell phone ringers directly from Verizon, haha. I'm sure that on the grand spectrum of things, what we're doing is relatively small, but it's cool nonetheless!

I just set up a Big Cartel page for my band about three days ago, so far it's working out quite well: 7horns7eyes.bigcartel.com

If you want your stuff on iTunes I'm sure there are many inroads, but I know that you have to be "represented" by some kind of company, as iTunes doesn't work directly with artists. My band went through CDbaby after getting our CDs manufactured with Disc Makers. I think it's like one $35 setup fee with CDbaby to get your mp3s submitted to all of the main companies- iTunes, Napster, Rhapsody, Last.fm, Amazon, and plenty of companies I hadn't previously heard of. My band is out there on 25 companies...you can even buy our cell phone ringers directly from Verizon, haha. I'm sure that on the grand spectrum of things, what we're doing is relatively small, but it's cool nonetheless!

Hey Aaron,

that is the point: I *don't* want my stuff on Itunes, well, it is already, but I am looking for a retail mechanism that works a bit like what Trent Reznor did. I actually had the idea before he did his thing, but probably 100s of others did too.

My idea was to cater to what people want:

1) buy 128kbps mp3 via instant download for 4.99
2) buy WAV files plus printable cover for 6.99 via instant download
3) buy full CD for 9.99 (via mail)
4) buy other merch (via mail)

This way people could have lesser quality for less money than itunes or higher quality for less money than itunes or full product for less money than other retailers. And I wouldn't have to take a cut/fee as well as get bad service and inaccurate accounting from a third party vendor.

Of course everything would still be up on iTunes etc. for those ppl that don't know about this.

EDIT:
I actually found the software I need for a bit more than US$ 30 at:

http://www.idevspot.com/DigiVendor.php