Freedom of speech? !YES! until now........

Sep 19, 2005
Belfast
I came across this while having a look at prog archives.com, beofore you read this i know everyone has there own opinion and tastes but sweet jesus this is an absolute peach!

Quote begins

OPETH — Blackwater Park
Review by Certif1ed (Mark)
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator
Not very interesting - or Prog?

So Opeth. Top of the Prog Metal heap or just interesting?

Well, neither really.

A dark but vague keyboard intro gives way predictably to a squeaky-clean guitar riff, repeated verbatim. The polished nature of the riff sets you up for the stereotype screaming metal vocal... but no. We get our first surprise here, and it's not good to my ears. Death metal style growling seems at odds with the texture and sits uncomfortably across a range of riffs with assorted fills, all taken from the school of rock standards and little awareness of how to grow drama within the music. It's all too repetitive - although melodically interesting (in much the same way that Iron Maiden are melodically interesting) in places. Tangential passages in wierd time-signature riffs don't fool me one iota. The music only progresses in that it goes on and on in time - "The Leper Affinity" is clearly in the old school of technical metal, albeit of a rather simple nature. The vocal style is changed around 4:50, but the repetitive acoustic guitar accompaniment is a poor substitute for real prog. It's all short repeated patterns, largely unison with simplistic harmony - and rather boring. From about 6:00 it sounds like it might get interesting - but this is still in the technical as opposed to truly progressive vein. A sudden drop to piano is an interesting texture change at around 9:00 - but this is in the vein of "Lick My Love Pump" by Spinal Tap, and unrelated to the surrounding material. Quote ends.

Well?, disgusting isnt it. Discuss please

Definetly disgusting... \: People tend to over-judge music which is annoying at some times.

You got a link to the whole review?

This guy doesn't know shit. Bottom of the line. He's a complete retard with death metal. When first listening to Opeth you have to listen to every aspect of the music thoroughly to fully understand it.

To be honest i couldn't care less. Both you and i know that Opeth are fucking great and that this guy is just another retard who likes to sound smart.
I really don't care how the music is built, and whether it's complex or whatever, as long as it sounds good. And Opeth is the best thing that's ever happened to my ears.

Technical metal is not the same as Progressive Rock - it is not enough to produce riffs in time signatures that aren't 3 or 4/4, and it is not enough to include acoustic passages and Mellotrons - especially when the acoustic passages tend to be simple riffs broken down into arpeggios rather than intricate harmonic progressions utilising interesting melodies and arragements.

overanalysed a bit? if he doesnt like the music then fine but i dont see any point in this...

What a metal band typically fails to comprehend is the spontaneous and developmental nature of Progressive Rock - metal musicians only hear the superficial - and that is exactly what this piece is. Superficially prog, because it sounds a bit like it - but underneath, it's simple repetition with little direction.

sorry for the double post but i couldnt resist. eat that arrogance up boys and girls.

There's obviously pre-established bias, before a single word has been put down on those reviews. I've yet to see your typical prog snob come into anything with an optimistic attitude. It's always a case of assume the worst, and if it wasn't written sometime in the late 70s its instantaneously superficial shit.

I can't really stand those people. They aren't worth dealing with in a professional environment, and the internet is really the only medium where they can wax on and manage to strike a nerve.

Seriously, adopting an attitude like that when critiquing another's music instantly reveals that the author's musical ambitions are either non-existent or failed years ago. Nobody wants to work with wankers.

If he finds opeth that bad why does he bother to make an article that long?! And Why is he trying to convince people that what we listen is no good? Well the answer is up there ^