Freedom of speech? !YES! until now........

Well Opeth are quiet repetetive, and if u dont like the riffs (I of course do), then I can why they could sound boring.

Every now and then someone here states how repetetive Opeth was. I don't think they are. Riffs in Opeth songs most of the time don't appear again later so it's ok to repeat them a few times so as you have time to enjoy them. If you're looking for repetitive stuff, try some Metallica. The later the album the more they stretch the same three riffs. Also, the latest Tool manages to get along with songs that have the same bass line for more than half of the song. That's what i call repetitive.

I´m only saying. "wreath" and "TBYF" are the extremes. Opeth in general repete the riffs more than avg bands. I like it though cos the riffs slays.

Opeth is 99% 4/4 and 3/4 so I don't know why he keeps talking about weird time in these reviews. But I read some others and they're all like

Pros: I guess it's technical
Cons: Not a Genesis album

Also he compelely trashes Images and Words which means his prog snob power level is somewhere in the millions

He is right, mostly. Blackwater Park is definitely the least progressive, and the least interesting of all Opeth's releases.

You must consider where he's coming from though. He is reviewing the album PURELY from a progressive fans stance, for a progressive fans benefit.

And he has a point, when you think of it in that way (especially considering the lyrics and the chord structures - which are still quite metal in damnation). He is obviously quite annoyed that opeth are being branded as prog, when he listens to not much else but 70's prog genius. Thats fair enough.

People who listen to nothing else but genesis, floyd and other giants from where prog classics came from are bound to sneer at a band like opeth who have been labeled as prog, just because they did an album with some mellotrons on them.

Get over it....people are biased because they like to feel they have superior taste. Its a fact of life. No biggie.

Give him credit though, he did say he very nearly gave GR 4 out of 5. Which is something considering he gave damnation 1 ( which was extremely harsh, but there you go).

what he was describing didnt sound like he was listening to blackwater park..until he said the leper affinity..and even then ive never heard anything like that song from any other metalband. Hell they accomplish more in the first 3 mins than many metal bands have in their entire careers. pwnful song perido.

You must consider where he's coming from though. He is reviewing the album PURELY from a progressive fans stance, for a progressive fans benefit.

And he has a point, when you think of it in that way (especially considering the lyrics and the chord structures - which are still quite metal in damnation). He is obviously quite annoyed that opeth are being branded as prog, when he listens to not much else but 70's prog genius. Thats fair enough.

People who listen to nothing else but genesis, floyd and other giants from where prog classics came from are bound to sneer at a band like opeth who have been labeled as prog, just because they did an album with some mellotrons on them.

Get over it....people are biased because they like to feel they have superior taste. Its a fact of life. No biggie.

Give him credit though, he did say he very nearly gave GR 4 out of 5. Which is something considering he gave damnation 1 ( which was extremely harsh, but there you go).

I can see where he's coming from, there isn't really anything capital-P Prog about Opeth or a lot of other progressive bands. But someone could review from that angle without being so condescending and exclusive.

This is a list of some of the reviews of Blackwater Park in Encyclopaedia Metallum:
Blopeth - 3%
Written by UltraBoris on February 6th, 2003

This is not HEAVY FUCKING METAL the way it is supposed to be played - nothing comes out and screams "On your knees!! I want you on your knees!" like metal is supposed to do.
There are precisely zero really fucking memorable riffs here - in fact, most of the riffs aren't even metal riffs, they sound like badly recycled 70s rock riffs.
The clean vocals are awful - they're just too "nice".
ON The Leper Affinity
Oh and then there's a piano bit. Which genius came up with that one? Want to hear a GOOD piano part, listen to the intro to WASP "Thunderhead". Now THAT is emotional right there.
Most of this isn't even metal. Go ahead, tell me Harvest is metal. (It's a silly acoustic interlude that manages to be 6 minutes long, but contain about one minute worth of ideas!) Then do yourself a favour and listen to some Iron fucking Maiden or something.

So-so, average unmemorable prog rock/metal... - 50%
Written by Manchester_Devil on September 26th, 2004

When one listens to “The Leper Affinity” and a “heavy” mallcore song, the thing you’ll notice in repeated listens is that “The Leper Affinity” and the mallcore song have the same song structure, a la, heavy part of a song = harsh vocals, mellow part of same song = mellow, singing vocals, coincidence? Listen to Linkin Park and then listen to this song and you’ll know what I mean.
It’s just mallcore with Heavy Guitar work that isn’t drowned in distortion but diluted enough to satisfy those who don’t know who sang in Iron Maiden before Bruce Dickinson but hate mallcore enough to search for heavier music.

and finally
This is supposed to be Opeth's best album? - 5%
Written by Evil_Tim on January 27th, 2006

This comment literally made me LOL rather loud
Getting back to song length, it seems that Opeth might be trying to go for that epic feel that is ever-present in the Prog world. Unfortunately, as stated before, the lack of transition between passages quickly eliminates any epic feeling to this album. If you want something epic, go buy an Ayreon album.
:lol:

Fucking cracks me up some of the comments ahaha.. At times it's a case of, "how dumb can you get". But the final thing i say to myself everytime i read these clearly stupid reviews is "what the fuck does it matter what these twats think? Let them listen to their THRASH METAL and Ayreon.. See if i care!"