"From Mars To Sirius"

Igor Samurovic

Be careful how you grip!
Dec 15, 2011
People are very divided on the sound of this album, people either think it really has a very unique production (in a good way) or they think it's ear piercing. However, mind boggles: how does one produce a tone like this?
It's really beyond me, the rig is apparently a custom jackson soloist into some 5150 into some cab (some say it's a recto cab, some say it's peavey's, some it's marshall 1960). Guitar seems to be ALL OVER THE PLACE, yet we can hear the rest just fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the bass and kick are lacking in low punch and that's what gives this album its signature sound, it's kind of like pre-black album Metallica but better done, and you can actually hear the bass. The guitars to me don't sound at all like the alleged rigs I've seen posted. I swear there is some T75s going on there in the guitars, not V30s. If there are V30s then they are mixed in with the T75s. That guitar tone is far too "earthy" to be V30s, but who knows how much post-processing was going on there. I've also heard that there was some room mics on the guitar sound as well, so if that's true then that's something that sets this album apart from the rest of modern metal. I heard that this tone is Jackson Soloist into a 5150 Red channel with no OD and the gain was cranked to full into Recto V30s. I've tried just that before and it didn't come out right.

I'm one of the ones that loves this album, production included. I have both the "alleged" album rig and the rig that I think is the right rig, it's closer to what I hear. I don't normally try to emulate the sound of this album, but I'll try to if someone can track a riff or two and setup a mix and I'll see if I can approx the tone. That could be fun :)

My second favorite after Way of All Flesh as far as the production goes. Love both, different but both fitting in relation to the music being played.

Don't have any info about the gear the dudes used, all I know is that they spent A LOT of time mixing this album!! AFAIK it's entirely an home-made production and they didn't know how to achieve properly what they were after so they took their time. To me the sound is not awesome but their playing is so perfect that the result is huge. The mix really fits the music too, very captivating.

Love the sound of that album. I think to get any tone like them you'd have to have Jo Duplantier's fingers, which are hard to come by. That dude can fucking play with ferocity.

Don't have any info about the gear the dudes used, all I know is that they spent A LOT of time mixing this album!! AFAIK it's entirely an home-made production and they didn't know how to achieve properly what they were after so they took their time. To me the sound is not awesome but their playing is so perfect that the result is huge. The mix really fits the music too, very captivating.
That's very interesting, where did you find that? I'd be interesting in reading this interview/post you got that out from :D

This is actually one of my favorite mixes, it suits the music perfectly. The whole thing is just crushing.
Absolutely agree :)

Sounds to me like 5150 into a 1960 or mesa with tons of gain.
So does it to many others, however, few have produced the tone with specified gear (if any?)

I think the bass and kick are lacking in low punch and that's what gives this album its signature sound, it's kind of like pre-black album Metallica but better done, and you can actually hear the bass.
Unlike many modern albums, one can feel that the album is not centered on 30-150hz and 2-4khz like most modern metal productions are (IE, no curve on the mix, except for those areas being a few DBs louder) which makes the album sound way more broadband instead of being fixed around certain spots on the spectrum.
The guitars to me don't sound at all like the alleged rigs I've seen posted. I swear there is some T75s going on there in the guitars, not V30s. If there are V30s then they are mixed in with the T75s. That guitar tone is far too "earthy" to be V30s, but who knows how much post-processing was going on there. I've also heard that there was some room mics on the guitar sound as well, so if that's true then that's something that sets this album apart from the rest of modern metal.
As for room mics, it's either them or the huge amounts of reverb on guitars (and the mix itself) that I hear. Listening closely on some parts, one can't unhear the reverb.

I heard that this tone is Jackson Soloist into a 5150 Red channel with no OD and the gain was cranked to full into Recto V30s. I've tried just that before and it didn't come out right.
I didn't know if anybody stated it was specifically recto with v30s, but I do know some people have, like you, tried making the tone to the 'description', only to fail, which lead many to believe some other gear was used (as you say, T75s offer a better explanation of the tone than v30s) :D

I'm one of the ones that loves this album, production included. I have both the "alleged" album rig and the rig that I think is the right rig, it's closer to what I hear. I don't normally try to emulate the sound of this album, but I'll try to if someone can track a riff or two and setup a mix and I'll see if I can approx the tone. That could be fun :)
Guitar tone sounds very much like the one on the album, what's the chain and how did you set it up? It's not exact frequency wise, but it does sound very close, and the 'idea' of the sound is absolutely there, anybody can hear that fizzy stoner stuff on mutes that separates this album from the rest of contemporary mixes (also, the tone has a bump @8khz, and many VST+impulse tones abolish it) :D As for mix, the mix is somewhat 'too close' to the listener. The original FMTS mix sounds somewhat DISTANT from the listener and I don't know how to explain it but I recon there's more overall stuff in the 200-500 area, which makes sure the snare doesn't pop out on those frequencies (this is possibly guitar body combined with bass guitar/vocals). It's still a mystery how they managed to make the mix sound so huge yet so distant and loud. That being said, dynamics wise it's pretty dead, except in the 4khz+ range where the cymbals pop through, still suits the music perfectly, I've seen guys make remixes (actually re-records) of FMTS songs with very dynamic mixes and it just didn't 'cut it' for me, even if they were far technically superior :)

My second favorite after Way of All Flesh as far as the production goes. Love both, different but both fitting in relation to the music being played.
How do you like Elephant Sausage? :D I feel the mix has some 'dark' quality to it that I am not particularly a great fan of.

Easily my favourite Gojira mix, tbh. So violent and ferocious. I'd love to hear Space Time with this sort of mix. Just so I can hear that riff with it :lol:
I think the TI album has enough of a signature sound to cover that too - space time wouldn't have that bass punch it originally has on the TI album (since guitars are dead on the midrange, unlike here), if it were mixed and recorded like FMTS. That being said, it'd still be interesting to hear how it'd turn out :D

Love the sound of that album. I think to get any tone like them you'd have to have Jo Duplantier's fingers, which are hard to come by. That dude can fucking play with ferocity.
'Hey Joe, can you give me impulses of your fingers? I just need that to complete my tone, kthxbye" :D

I used a modified Jackson RR3. The guitar has a brass block, Duncan Distortion pickup, 500k volume and disconnected tone knob. Type 85 DI, L1 set to crush and kill (for saturation), TSE x50 into an IR of my own creation (which is a T75 IR) loaded with KeFIR (great loader, tough on CPU), light EQ boost at 3k to match the lo-fi sound of the album, and then filtering mostly on the low end to make it sound more midrangey.

That's very interesting, where did you find that? I'd be interesting in reading this interview/post you got that out from :D

Sure! But it's in french :lol:
At 9:15 they actually talk about the sound of their two latest albums and at 11:10 they explain how they made "From Mars...", that it was a pain in the ass... They made everything by themselves with their FOH guy and mixed the album during 5 months!
I also talked once with the guys about studio stuff after a show.

Last edited by a moderator:

By the way I'll just put this out there. This was just a quick mockup test, but since this tone was made using an IR that I created of my own rig and very minimal post-processing, it is entirely possible to get this tone as a reamping tone instead of a sim tone. Just imagine it like this but with the real tubes and feel of a 5150, plus when reamping I'll be able to add in the room tone as well so it'll come out even closer. If anyone is reading and wants that Gojira tone on your bands' or clients' album, shoot me an email! Contact in sig, my reamping is very flexible.

Album has insane vibe. I think The Way of All Flesh can go suck itself production wise, it sounds way too plain/clean.

Album has insane vibe. I think The Way of All Flesh can go suck itself production wise, it sounds way too plain/clean.

Haha, sometimes I think this too, but still, if I had to choose a tone to mix my album in, it'd more likely be TWOAF tone than FMTS tone. The reason is that the TWOAF tone has more potential uses, where FMTS tone has select few things it's really good for in a contemporary context. That being said, it really did work out for that album :D

Love the sound of this album, and Backbone is my favourite song...

Love how the bass compliments the guitar tones...
I find it has just the right way of cutting through, and in backbone it's very audible where it should be and takes a backseat where it should :D

Haha, sometimes I think this too, but still, if I had to choose a tone to mix my album in, it'd more likely be TWOAF tone than FMTS tone. The reason is that the TWOAF tone has more potential uses, where FMTS tone has select few things it's really good for in a contemporary context. That being said, it really did work out for that album :D

True, but for this album I wouldn't have it any other way. The intro to Where Dragons Dwell sounds fucking huge.