Jens Bogren guitar tone

I think his tone is so unique!
It's almost mid-heavy, not to the point it annoys you, I love how his guitar sound.
Those mids give a uber tight tone! what he did with AE is really great.
How can he get that tone ???? I always wonder!
When I mike with a sm57 in front of my mesa/marshall cab, If I boost the amp mids the tone gets honky!
Tried with all my amps: 5150/dual recto/marshall 2203.
Bah I don't know how to get close! maybe I should try compressing just the mids with my multiband (mc2000)..or maybe doing the opposite: compressing the rest
Bah I don't know ...
I gotta do some more tests :erk::erk::erk:

have a nice day Guys

cheers

Probably he uses also some kind of saturation to bring up the mids. But mainly must be how he tweaks the amp and the his mic placement, I think.

He's a huge proponent of mixing mics on cabs. I believe on difference speakers as well. 57, 421, 121, etc. I'm not saying that's the secret but his solo'd guitars have a lot of dimension.

Fully agree with the above ^

Start out with another 57 at a 45º ("fredman" style). This really accentuates the midrange in a smooth way.

uhm I don't know if he's using mic at 45°, it gives a very different sound, but I'll try that as well!
thanks buddies!

ANOTHER 57 at 45º. First 57 straight on. Capsules aligned of course.

If I remember well Jens mainly throws a lot of sm57s in front of the cab and picks the ones he likes most. Sometimes he likes to combine an sm57 with a royer r121 for that smooth midrange

Some things that come to mind from jens´s guitar sound: airy, thin, middle focused, open, big, trebbly but not harsh. Lot of 1k, not so much 3k, and lot of top end 6k-> Soilwork´s The Panic Broadcast has got amazing guitar sound, but it´s surprising that how thin it actually is. Still sounding awesome in the mix!

I think his tone is so unique!
It's almost mid-heavy, not to the point it annoys you, I love how his guitar sound.
Those mids give a uber tight tone! what he did with AE is really great.
How can he get that tone ???? I always wonder!
When I mike with a sm57 in front of my mesa/marshall cab, If I boost the amp mids the tone gets honky!

find the honkiest one and cut it, leave the not soo honky ones,
it's all about compromise...