JENS BOGREN - my new hero

Κατά τον δαίμονα εαυτού From Rotting Christ has an amazing mix/master!!
Congratulations,it's definitely the best RC production,and there are so many things going on,with wonderful control on the dynamics.

Did you reamped the guitars/bass?If yes,any info on what amps/cabs used,plus some comment on the mix etc would be great.

I was listening to Witchcraft's album "legend" wondering who made these seemingly natural drums sound so mindbogglingly good. Necrothread as a result.

Last edited by a moderator:
I used to think the same and I used to point my finger for the same reason as you but if you think a bit more about the subject you will realize that when a band are looking for a producer, the band are also looking for a specific kind of sound, something that defines the sound of a producer/mixer/sound engineer. In the case of Sneap you have that fat snare a super tight sound and a very controled low end, it's those characteristics that make his own sound.

So, when a band are looking for sneap mix they are looking for something that sounds like sneap mix. Would be strange for a band to hire andy sneap and ask him to do a mix in Kurt Ballou style. Not that couldnt happen but would be very odd because they both mix for a very different kind of aesthetics.

You have a point and a good argument indeed, doing the same mix again and again with little diferences doesnt show much versatility and isnt for sure much exciting but they are selling something that defines their sound, some unique characteristics that you cant find with other people in the business.

I used to think exactly the same thing about finnvox studios but then again they are selling something that you can identify right away.

Kind of off topic : I was just listened to "The Fall of Therenia" Aspherium's album. Those guys will take some of my money for sure.

I was attending a mastering session at Fascination Street Studios earlier this week. Never met Jens but was a truly humbling experience being in a place where so many great albums have been made. I love what Jens's mastering engineer Tony Lindgren did with my album, I'd advise any of you producers/mixing engineers to send your stuff off there for mastering, rates aren't too bad and I learned a lot from sitting in on the session.

In terms of mix rates I can say that Jens is absurdly reasonable for what you get. He's mixed 3 records for me and I feel like we got a got a bargain every time.

+1

I still can't believe that it's possible even for really small bands to have a chance to get their album mixed or mastered by Jens Bogren who I consider to be of the same caliber as Andy Sneap.

My band could only afford stem mastering for our first album and despite some unfortunate delays he was really helpful and was great working with him. I made a thread a while back about it.

I know it depends on several things but more or less how much does he charge for only mixing a song? Let's say a 4 minute "as generic as it gets" metal song,? DIs, real drums, vocals and no synths.

In terms of mix rates I can say that Jens is absurdly reasonable for what you get. He's mixed 3 records for me and I feel like we got a got a bargain every time.

Yeah, for such results he's pretty low price wise!

I know it depends on several things but more or less how much does he charge for only mixing a song? Let's say a 4 minute "as generic as it gets" metal song,? DIs, real drums, vocals and no synths.

Sorry man but do you really think you can get an answer here? Plus, prices are calculated per project according to his website. So contact him.

Just uploaded the final wavs I mixed for Jens to master! Love the feedback he gave me, I highly advise it for only 20 euros a song. The best part is, I was on the right track, he only had a few things for me to fix and they were all a gut feeling I had that I ignored. The bass needed to come up, guitars as well. I was afraid of making them too loud, but now the mix sounds a lot better. Really can't wait to hear what he does with our songs!

Just uploaded the final wavs I mixed for Jens to master! Love the feedback he gave me, I highly advise it for only 20 euros a song. The best part is, I was on the right track, he only had a few things for me to fix and they were all a gut feeling I had that I ignored. The bass needed to come up, guitars as well. I was afraid of making them too loud, but now the mix sounds a lot better. Really can't wait to hear what he does with our songs!

What you mean? A feedback/advise for your mix for only 20 euros per song if I got it right?

^ Yes, I don't know if it's just for if you are paying for mastering, or if you can get it done on its own without using their mastering service (he is adding it on to our total project cost). They send a link to their file sharing website, you upload them, and he sends feedback. Quite quickly might I add. Really friendly and easy guy to work with!

He only does that if he's mastering the tracks. Says so in the pricing details iirc.

Otherwise he'd be getting paid peanuts to listen to shit mixes all day. This way he gets to listen through a song, make two or three notes and get a better product. Instead of mastering it thinking, man, I wish they'd just raised the bass 1 dB.

Looks like he's digging the freedman technique plus Royer 121 on gtrs.
I love his recent tones. Angra's tone was huge!!!

20r1lvr.jpg

5pplwi.png

10r0f8o.png

That's awesome, thanks for sharing! The other Mesa cab seems to have a Royer, and a U87, I wonder if that's for leads.