From The Start..........Live After Death

I thinks the best live album bar none.

I prefer "Rock in Rio" wilks.

LAD is good but does not have the benefit of another 15 years of studio work that can be used. Plus the sound of that massive Rio crowd singing along give it the edge for me.

There are good songs on this album that sound good. Aces High, 2 minutes to midnight, 22 acacia avenue,...but some songs bore me alot, Rime of the ancient mariner,..much too long m.o. and i dont like the way Bruce sings on alot of songs.. it looks like he is only singing fast and doesnt listen to the instruments..he cannot match the tempo of instruments.. it sounds not like a team..more 5 individuall pieces..Sometimes it goes so fast the singing that he almost looses breath! It sounds too forced..That's what I mean..It sometimes is screaming and not singing..the guitarparts are great..but after the studioalbums-listening, I really had a disapointing feeling after hearing this one..

nd i dont like the way Bruce sings on alot of songs.. it looks like he is only singing fast and doesnt listen to the instruments..he cannot match the tempo of instruments.. it sounds not like a team..more 5 individuall pieces..Sometimes it goes so fast the singing that he almost looses breath! It sounds too forced..

I totally agree mate, Bruce's voice is bloody irritating at times on this one [imo], has its good moments though and i played it to death when i was a kid. The cover artwork is simply amazing, one of the best LP covers ever!!

:)

Good Live album, when you watch the vid for it nowadays it's so dark (lighting that is ) but the best part about the album was side 4- Children of The Damned, Die Wit Your Boots On, Murders In The Rue Morgue, Wrathchild, Phantom Of The Opera superb and much better crowd reaction from Hammersmith than the crowd in Caly!! Actually Murders wasn't on it it was on the B side of the Running Free live single released for the album but superb as well.

It`s actually one of the worst live albums in term of crowd response(the LA crowd). Way too many overdubs as well. Example: Listen to Iron Maiden(the song), and when the LA crowd is supposed to sing the word "Iron Maiden", you can hear the same crowd sound everytime, specifically that whistle. It`s a horrible live album. There are so many other better albums out there than that one.

Led Zeppelin - Song Remains The Same
Pink Floyd - Pulse
Ted Nugent - Double Live Gonzo
Peter Frampton - Comes Alive
Judas Priest - Unleashed In The East

the list goes on and on. Those are just some examples. I wouldn`t even list Live After Death simply for the fact that the LA crowd sucked ass. If you watch the video you can see how lame they were. And Iron Maiden is my favorite band, so I`m not bashing them. Just disagree that this is The Best Live album. Not even close.

Ted Nugent - Double Live Gonzo

Judas Priest - Unleashed In The East

Fantastic choices RayNJ.... Btw.. that Unleashed in the East Album from Judas (superb, fantastic especially Running wild-song), I read somewhere that the vocals on that album were sung in after the live recordings,.. so Halford sings it in a studio,... Do you know what is true about this story, do you know RayNJ, or somebody else from the forum? Or is it I am telling nonsense here..please tell me, just curious to know....

Fantastic choices RayNJ.... Btw.. that Unleashed in the East Album from Judas (superb, fantastic especially Running wild-song), I read somewhere that the vocals on that album were sung in after the live recordings,.. so Halford sings it in a studio,... Do you know what is true about this story, do you know RayNJ, or somebody else from the forum? Or is it I am telling nonsense here..please tell me, just curious to know....

Ive heard that one alot over the years, and something about Rob having a cold when it was recorded? In the past ive compared the album to the japanese bootlegs of the same era and there is not alot of difference in Robs voice at all on them, so if any additional production was done i doubt it was anything major important.

Similar thing goes for the Turbo era recorded 'Priest...Live' Despite some obvious overdubs and a little post production here and there its pretty much the real deal, i have bootlegs of that tour where Rob actually sounds alot better than on the official 'live' release, on some of those they even played Victim of Changes which sounds unbelievable!

Ive heard that one alot over the years, and something about Rob having a cold when it was recorded? In the past ive compared the album to the japanese bootlegs of the same era and there is not alot of difference in Robs voice at all on them, so if any additional production was done i doubt it was anything major important.

Similar thing goes for the Turbo era recorded 'Priest...Live' Despite some obvious overdubs and a little post production here and there its pretty much the real deal, i have bootlegs of that tour where Rob actually sounds alot better than on the official 'live' release, on some of those they even played Victim of Changes which sounds unbelievable!

Thx Valanx for the info,.. yeah Rob Halford is always constant in his singing, so studio or live .. what does it matter,.. nothing.. I read it somewhere and thought somebody else knows it..what was the reason or whatever? When I wrote down this entry and submitted it, I already had the feeling that you VALANX would come with the reply:) winkie,winkie!:lol:

Yeah, as Mad Dan said, the album is known as 'Unleashed In The Studio'. So it's a bit ironic that RayNJ should slag off the Maiden album for being overdubbed, then chooses an album that is notorious for being heavily overdubbed, as one of the best 'live' albums of all time!

Yeah, as Mad Dan said, the album is known as 'Unleashed In The Studio'. So it's a bit ironic that RayNJ should slag off the Maiden album for being overdubbed, then chooses an album that is notorious for being heavily overdubbed, as one of the best 'live' albums of all time!

:bah:

During the recorded Tokyo shows, Rob had been suffering from partial laryngitis, therefore his vocals weren't up to the standard of their usual shows. So during the mixing session at Ringo's place, a small party of people were in attendance and at one point, Rob was seen out on the patio wearing a set of headphones and singing his vocal lines into a microphone. Word leaked out about the vocals being redone and the rumors grew to the point where it was being reported that all the instruments were redone and the audience was a canned Japanese recording dubbed in. While the rumors were unfounded, it unfortunately prompting critics to call the album 'Unleashed In The Studio' and to this day, many fans are confused about the album's integrity. A rare bootleg of the February 15 show does a lot to prove the authenticity of the performance (Rob's voice only needed minimal repairs and the audience really did have that "canned Japanese" sound) and Priest's guitarists have confirmed that the band's musical parts are legitimately 100% live:

"We touched up some of the vocals on the album, because when Rob did the album, his voice was shot. We were honest enough to admit that, but then suddenly we heard that a lot of things were touched up. But literally, it was a few vocal bits and pieces."
- Glenn Tipton, Goldmine Magazine, June 5, 1998

http://members.firstinter.net/markster/UNLEASHEDINTHEEAST.html

:bah:

During the recorded Tokyo shows, Rob had been suffering from partial laryngitis, therefore his vocals weren't up to the standard of their usual shows. So during the mixing session at Ringo's place, a small party of people were in attendance and at one point, Rob was seen out on the patio wearing a set of headphones and singing his vocal lines into a microphone. Word leaked out about the vocals being redone and the rumors grew to the point where it was being reported that all the instruments were redone and the audience was a canned Japanese recording dubbed in. While the rumors were unfounded, it unfortunately prompting critics to call the album 'Unleashed In The Studio' and to this day, many fans are confused about the album's integrity. A rare bootleg of the February 15 show does a lot to prove the authenticity of the performance (Rob's voice only needed minimal repairs and the audience really did have that "canned Japanese" sound) and Priest's guitarists have confirmed that the band's musical parts are legitimately 100% live:

"We touched up some of the vocals on the album, because when Rob did the album, his voice was shot. We were honest enough to admit that, but then suddenly we heard that a lot of things were touched up. But literally, it was a few vocal bits and pieces."
- Glenn Tipton, Goldmine Magazine, June 5, 1998

http://members.firstinter.net/markster/UNLEASHEDINTHEEAST.html

Hmmmmm whatever! :lol:

personally i dont give a rats arse about whether priests vocals were done after or not as i dont care for them at all.... the point of this thread was about maiden live after death ... i think it doesnt stand the test of time in relation to production values.crowd involvement etc but what it does encapsulate was how fucking huge maiden had become, how technically superb there stage show was and how they blazed a trail for english metal over america that no group has ever done since..... it was 23 years ago let us not forget (ps i was a huge maiden fan ...... fucked them off when they only played earls court on the brave new world..world tour.....pissing hypocrites)