From the start...................

WILKS

Sep 9, 2002
Underground
Visit site
Once there used to be a chap who used this forum most days his name was Macc189.Well this is a nod and wink to him.The idea is every week we comment on the Saxon albums as they came out.Macc189 did start this but that was along time ago and there are lot of new people.
So it started in1979 with the self tittled debut.What do all think of it,what are your favourite tracks,fond memories ect.
when the thred starts to die we shall go on to Wheels Of Steel and so on.

I think Saxon is a great album...

the art on the cover is excellent...

the best track on it imho is Stallions of the highway

-Imp

Yes a classic debut album, overshadowed by the next few releases I think, but when you go back & listen to it, it's classic metal. Stallions Of The Highway, Frozen Rainbow are Classics, The cover says it all in yer face metal:headbang: Used to have a couple of live versions of Highway & Rainbow recorded at the Glasgow Apollo, they kicked ass :kickass:

Great Idea !! Gives me a reason to listen to all the different L.P.'s and C.D.'s again.
I'm listning to the L.P. at the moment. In my opinion are the last 4 songs the better ones (my fav. is Militia Guard) but the best has yet to come.:headbang:

I like 'Big Teaser' in a weird sort of way.

OT: I have a Saxon song called 'Lift up your Eyes'. (pretty short song) I think it is an unreleased or B-side. Anyone know from what era or when it was made. (sounds older)

Big Teaser, Stallions of the Highway, Backs to the Wall - Great stuff.

King Tuskis - Lift up your eyes is a track from a compilation album originally called "Diamonds and Nuggets"

It was probably recorded 1976-77, and thats a stab in the dark.

Sleve notes on the compilation are by Graham "Creme Brule"* Oliver, his comments on this song:

"This track was taken from the "Coast" band and this demo was recorded at Luxemburg (Studio) and shows the style of the songs they did. No coast song ever made an album but several SOB tunes did".

* "Creme Brule" Ficticious band in the league of gentleman. Les Mcqueen guitarist, always refering to music as a "shit business". It reminds me a lot of Graham Olivers interviews when he's refering to his departure from Saxon.

I think its an overlooked c;assic metal album.It was nice to see get a good write up in this months Classic Rock mag.I think also it maybe the album with the best cover.I can't off hand think of a bad track.
It was great to see them play Frozen Rainbow and Stallions at Rock City the other day.The last time saw them they played Still Fit To Boogie wich was fucking awesome.

WILKS said:
I can't off hand think of a bad track.

Id have to agree on that, although i have not heard it in a while, favourites of mine would be "Stallions of the Highway" "Backs to the Wall" and "Still fit to Boogie" will have to get this out and have a listen again i think!!

This seems to be Saxon's forgotten album. Nobody ever mentions it as one of their favourite Saxon albums, but with a track listing of -

Rainbow Theme, Frozen Rainbow, Big Teaser, Judgement Day, Stallions Of The Highway, Backs To The Wall, Still Fit To Boogie, Militia Guard.

The week track on the album is? Exactly, there isn't one! This is a very much underrated album.

MatRattz said:
Sleve notes on the compilation are by Graham "Creme Brule"* Oliver,

* "Creme Brule" Ficticious band in the league of gentleman. Les Mcqueen guitarist, always refering to music as a "shit business". It reminds me a lot of Graham Olivers interviews when he's refering to his departure from Saxon.

That is the funniest thing I have heard for a long while. I wonder if he is in his shed spraying his latest vinyl LPs gold to hang on his wall, and waiting for the phone to ring about the reunion tour? PMSL, bless him!
Oh yeah, "Saxon" - "Stallions..." and "Backs to the Wall", fantastic!!!!