Fucking ebay. Advice anyone?

Scissors61

Jul 18, 2007
Brighton, UK
www.myspace.com
Basically I've been looking for a 5150/6505 for a while, and this afternoon managed to win an ebay auction for one for £455. I sent the seller a message asking about when I could pick it up, and he replied with this:

'hi mate,
there has been a bit of a mix up with this as i thought i had set
a reserve of 650 on it and its not worked. basically i'm afraid i
cant sell it for that price as i've just paid far to much for it to go
at that price.
i do apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused but if
you are willing to meet the asking price then it is all yours.
thanks.'

I obviously don't want to be a dick about it, because it's not like he's been unpleasant at all. I'm just fairly sure when you put something on ebay, you enter into a legal agreement to provide whoever wins the auction with the item.

I don't know if I'm just being a cunt, but it's not my fault he didn't put a reserve on it? Surely you would check?

What do? :(

If its been sold for that I'm pretty sure you have to sell it for that price, but the seller always does have the choice of not sending it... 650 isn't a bad price still though, so you could pay a bit more for it.

Yeah exactly, I'm fairly certain you can even go back and add a reserve if you didn't set one in the first place. The problem that I see though, is that there isn't exactly anything I can do is there? I was going to go pick it up, so he can just not tell me where he lives, and the worst I can do is leave negative feedback... :( Also how are you Gareth? Haven't spoken to you for aaaages man!

I'm sure that you aren't allowed to change your mind and add a reserve price after you've put it up, have you replied to him yet?

Hmm, tough call - I'd offer to meet in between at 550, since I'm pretty certain you could go through ebay and force him to send it to you for 455 (of course, god knows what he'd do to it before sending it :Smug: ); as an experienced ebay buyer and seller, I'm 99% sure he totally didn't intend to set a reserve price (or just didn't think to), but after realizing what a pitiful price it sold for tried to come up with some semi-legitimate reason for charging you more, which is fucking crap - personally, I think when you have a rough idea of the value of your item, both low-opening bid auctions and reserve prices are gayer than AIDS, just make the minimum bid the minimum you would want to get for it, it's not rocket science :loco: (or make it a fixed-price listing, which is what I always do)

Bassically all you can do is report him to ebay and leave negative feedback if he doesn't budge. The first thing I would do is report it to ebay and see what they have to say. He has the right to not sell it, however it will be at the cost of ebay potentially locking his account (unlikely) or just getting negative feedback.

I would write him back and say (politely) that you cannot afford any more than you won the action for (or maybe offer another 50 if you want). Also say that you really don't want to but he did not list a reserve and if he refuses to sell it for the auction price then you're going to have to report the situation to ebay.

Hmm, tough call - I'd offer to meet in between at 550, since I'm pretty certain you could go through ebay and force him to send it to you for 455 (of course, god knows what he'd do to it before sending it :Smug: ); as an experienced ebay buyer and seller, I'm 99% sure he totally didn't intend to set a reserve price (or just didn't think to), but after realizing what a pitiful price it sold for tried to come up with some semi-legitimate reason for charging you more, which is fucking crap - personally, I think when you have a rough idea of the value of your item, both low-opening bid auctions and reserve prices are gayer than AIDS, just make the minimum bid the minimum you would want to get for it, it's not rocket science :loco: (or make it a fixed-price listing, which is what I always do)

Oh I COMPLETELY fucking agree man. Literally don't understand how someone could go through with a fairly substantial sale like this and not check things over properly before selling it, I'm also inclined to believe that he probably just didn't think about it, and is now trying to make excuses...

And it is stupid setting a reserve and then a price below it, why even bother? Half the time it'll just make people not want to bother bidding anyway just because of the frustration of not knowing how high the reserve is going to be.

I literally have in my bank account £456.34 which is why I felt fairly lucky to have won it for £455 hahaha.

This is definitely a moment for tears hahaha.

+1000000

Also it's his fault, not yours. Don't feel bad for not accepting his offer.

Basically I've been looking for a 5150/6505 for a while, and this afternoon managed to win an ebay auction for one for £455. I sent the seller a message asking about when I could pick it up, and he replied with this:

'hi mate,
there has been a bit of a mix up with this as i thought i had set
a reserve of 650 on it and its not worked. basically i'm afraid i
cant sell it for that price as i've just paid far to much for it to go
at that price.
i do apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused but if
you are willing to meet the asking price then it is all yours.
thanks.'

I obviously don't want to be a dick about it, because it's not like he's been unpleasant at all. I'm just fairly sure when you put something on ebay, you enter into a legal agreement to provide whoever wins the auction with the item.

I don't know if I'm just being a cunt, but it's not my fault he didn't put a reserve on it? Surely you would check?

What do? :(

he doesn't actually have to sell it providing he has a legit reason, once you finish an auction you can go into the resolution centre with your product and cancel the product for a variety of reasons and the seller has the right to do that if he/she chooses to. reasons being example "item lost / damaged / out of stock / error on reserve price" and lots more

Yeah sounds like faggotry to me. You can set a reserve at ANY TIME during your auction, as long as it hasn't ended you CAN put a reserve or remove one. Either he's an eGay newb or as others have said, just wants more money for his amp. Also, he does have the right to not sell you the item, regardless if you won the auction or not. Nice, right? But if you are a bidder it's next to impossible get out of winning an auction and paying for an item - yet, a seller can just go "thems was jokes" and not sell the item if they want...ANYWAY... Even is there was a reserve set and you exceeded it, he can still decline the sale. All you can do is create a dispute and see if eBay will help YOU out.

if hr honestly made a mistake, then fine, but I am with MGH on this... how do you fuck that up? I think my 6 year old son could setup an auction without issue on eBay...

oh no im not saying he fucked up - god no!

chances are he's just a greedy bastard and wanted more money - i don't know about international ebay but on ebay ireland you can set up an auction for free with no fees, if you want to include a reserve you have to pay so maybe thats what he done and never set a reserve just to save himself a few quid

also he probably worked out the ebay fees of the end of his auction on his account and wasn't happy so he cancelled to cancel his fees too and to get the fee's taken back off his account he would of had to have a so called "reasonable explanation" in the resolution centre

I'm just having the shittiest week as far as gear goes :p

Monday, I rang this place to see if they had PT M-Powered in stock as I needed it for uni work. They said they did, so I went all the way in, and it turned out they just had an empty cardboard box. :p

Then all this shit with the 6505, and to top it off, I ordered a Sansamp RBI from DV247, and when 'it' arrived this morning, they'd instead sent me a Tech 21 Trademark 60 guitar combo. Fucking fantastic! Now I have a week's wait until they get it back in stock.

Fuck my life. :)

I e-mailed ebay about the 6505, and I'm just gonna wait, and if they ever actually get back to me about it take it from there. I can't see me ever being able to convince the guy to give it to me for that price though...

he doesn't actually have to sell it providing he has a legit reason, once you finish an auction you can go into the resolution centre with your product and cancel the product for a variety of reasons and the seller has the right to do that if he/she chooses to. reasons being example "item lost / damaged / out of stock / error on reserve price" and lots more

Ross is correct unfortunately

i'd tell him too bad, you won the auction for what you won it for, and that's what you'll pay him. if he can't do that, take all possible action through ebay to either get the item from him, or trash his feedback rating. also tell him that since he couldn't more than 450 for it the 1st time around, what makes him think that listing it for 650 will turn out any better?