Fun with Metal!

I think that's what this came with. Maybe I should have left it alone lol.

I run Windows defender, but I also use Bit Defender along side it, they are both only good for firewalls (you chose one or the other) and virus checking and cleaning. Neither are super great at spyware and maleware etc because they often don't see something lying dormant waiting to activate and they often do see the lingering shit that can be left behind. Dedicated spyware programs like SuperAntispyware and Malwarebytes are handy to have and run occasionally, they can be run in the background but you don't need to run them all. But then there is specific removal tools like Hitman and other that are required to get rid of certain types of bugs, that even the spyware programs don't get rid of because of where they are hidden. Many a time I've had to run up to 6 different programs on a client's machine because every step had to be done by a different program. It sucks, but general protection is always worth having in the form of a good firewall and background virus scanner, but it's also important to understand they wont catch everything.

Reactions: Neptune and redfly
I just read that ..I think it was Stamford University? Has made solar panels that will work at night. Not sure how that works lol. But they are way smarter than me.

It's been theoretically possible for a while and works on the same principal as normal panels working on cloudy days, but as to how close it is to production I don't know. My problem here is that we've had a really shitty summer with terrible days of irradiance which has meant panels all over the state are not producing what they are capable of. I've added an extra battery to increase storage so that I have reserve for a few days, but at the same time I have also increased how much I use the stored power. My plan is to get a bigger panel for the house, which means lights, all charging from hand held games to tablets to phones, USB power, small cell (AA and AAA batteries) charging, security system, sensors lights, even computers will run for several days. But I also plan to put a smaller panel on the garage to constantly trickle charge the two batteries in the car.

I run Windows defender, but I also use Bit Defender along side it, they are both only good for firewalls (you chose one or the other) and virus checking and cleaning. Neither are super great at spyware and maleware etc because they often don't see something lying dormant waiting to activate and they often do see the lingering shit that can be left behind. Dedicated spyware programs like SuperAntispyware and Malwarebytes are handy to have and run occasionally, they can be run in the background but you don't need to run them all. But then there is specific removal tools like Hitman and other that are required to get rid of certain types of bugs, that even the spyware programs don't get rid of because of where they are hidden. Many a time I've had to run up to 6 different programs on a client's machine because every step had to be done by a different program. It sucks, but general protection is always worth having in the form of a good firewall and background virus scanner, but it's also important to understand they wont catch everything.
Good to know! :headbang:

Reactions: Neptune and Slammed
It's been theoretically possible for a while and works on the same principal as normal panels working on cloudy days, but as to how close it is to production I don't know. My problem here is that we've had a really shitty summer with terrible days of irradiance which has meant panels all over the state are not producing what they are capable of. I've added an extra battery to increase storage so that I have reserve for a few days, but at the same time I have also increased how much I use the stored power. My plan is to get a bigger panel for the house, which means lights, all charging from hand held games to tablets to phones, USB power, small cell (AA and AAA batteries) charging, security system, sensors lights, even computers will run for several days. But I also plan to put a smaller panel on the garage to constantly trickle charge the two batteries in the car.
Ambitious! I hope it all works out for you! This house is covered and works well. The electric company usually has to pay up. But like you say. It sucks on cloudy days. I'm not sure we have any storage capacity.

Ambitious! I hope it all works out for you! This house is covered and works well. The electric company usually has to pay up. But like you say. It sucks on cloudy days. I'm not sure we have any storage capacity.

Our problem here in the "sunny country" is that we really don't get enough solar perfect weather. Up north, in central Aus, even in Western Australia, there is good solar to be had but it's just not enough to fully run the average home unless you go big. The system most companies here sell pushes $25K, but a system to power the home completely would easily push north of $50k plus $20K for the battery to store. The power companies have severely dropped the payback figure now, so the options are either make nothing, or spend massive. Solar panels at best are only good for 25 years and currently are only about 45% recyclable. Batteries are less than 15 years with almost 0% properly recyclable. Both parts are currently majority made from fossil fuelled power stations and green tech, while good is very slow to catching up.

My option is costing me less than $500 and I've powering anything that runs on 12 volt, so pretty much anything that has a power pack. I've installed low voltage strip lights, USB ports, low voltage outlets and when I finish I'll have enough storage capacity for about 5 days without any good weather. Shit like fridges, tvs and washing machine will still run on power, but just taking what I can out of the system I'm saving between $15-25 a month.

My option is costing me less than $500 and I've powering anything that runs on 12 volt, so pretty much anything that has a power pack. I've installed low voltage strip lights, USB ports, low voltage outlets and when I finish I'll have enough storage capacity for about 5 days without any good weather. Shit like fridges, tvs and washing machine will still run on power, but just taking what I can out of the system I'm saving between $15-25 a month.
That's pretty awesome!

Reactions: Neptune and Slammed
It does help to know the technology and how to make it work for you. I'm certainly no expert on it all but I do know that when you plug in the red cable to the red socket things work, do it the other way and you get a pretty spark show.

Good to see Dave remembered his handbag :)

278367949_532437531585613_2387507893963333618_n.jpg

If the speakers I found in the office the other day had blue light up rings I wouldn't have shoved a screwdriver through them and tossed them in the bin!!