Fun with Metal!

Santa shaved his beard :)

120034973_1936709423176681_6779986930502913384_o.jpg

I'm sure he's enjoying family life more than touring the world with KK and trying to put up with a Hanneman-less Slayer.

Reactions: Neptune and Slammed
With all due respect, this is not accurate.

Most all of the people who provided the basis for modern science (Newton, Pascal, Mendel, etc.) were religious people. Not to mention many of the men who came up with the scientific method itself (Descartes, Bacon).

So this sweeping generalization is not accurate or fair.
Well, the church also held back a lot of science and brutalized the hell out of people. I'd say it's fair :)

Edit: I do agree the church also doesn't get credit where they deserve it.

Last edited:
Well, the church also held back a lot of science and brutalized the hell out of people. I'd say it's fair :)

Edit: I do agree the church also doesn't get credit where they deserve it.

You're equating "the church" and "religion". They're not equivalent.

The people couldn't even read a Bible in their own language until the 1500s.

The Dark Ages lasted from the 5th to the 15th century. Until then they were manipulated by church leaders who could lie to them about what it actually said. Don't forget that Jesus himself was killed by Church leaders of His time as well (in conjunction with the Romans).

After people could read the Bible and realize they were being lied to and manipulated, big changes starting to happen. The Reformation, for one.

You're equating "the church" and "religion". They're not equivalent.

The people couldn't even read a Bible in their own language until the 1500s.

The Dark Ages lasted from the 5th to the 15th century. Until then they were manipulated by church leaders who could lie to them about what it actually said. Don't forget that Jesus himself was killed by Church leaders of His time as well (in conjunction with the Romans).

After people could read the Bible and realize they were being lied to and manipulated, big changes starting to happen. The Reformation, for one.
Well look, I agree with you on mostly everything. It wasn’t until Martin Luther translated the Bible into German that people were really able to read it.
But it was the church that equated the church with religion, they were an iron fist of my way or the highway people. While they were the church, I’m not sure how religious they actually were. So yes of course there is a bit of separation.
I agree that especially today religion and the church are two different things. But back then I don’t believe the church treated it that way. And people didn't have to be able to read to be subjugated.
And while the scientists you mention were religious, they weren't necessarily part of the church, so I don't think they deserve the credit.

Reactions: Neptune
Lol yeah I'm done. I grew up with a lot of religion. It's in the family for sure. Although I am not religious. My grandparents were missionaries and my grandfather was a minister. My father became a minister (also a physics teacher and computer programmer) when I was a teenager and my uncle is a minister lol. Thank god they are actually normal caring scientific people who just happen to have faith and are not religious tool bags.
But I personally don't talk about it. but I do like history.

I like memes!

My Mum tried to get us to grow up religious but even she wasn't that religious. When we were kids it was church on Sundays (Sunday School when we were real young) but by the time I was about 8 it was really just church on Christmas Eve and Fish Friday before Chocolate Sunday. As a kid I wasn't against religion I was against learning in general and I just hated school, being a state school there was no religion but in the early years of Sunday School to me it was just like school, someone standing over me telling me what to do, so I ignored as much as I could. I don't care what people believe, I don't care if they are passionate just as long as they don't push their ideas on me.

The worst religion has to be Vegan-ism!! :) What the fuck is with those people? No matter what group they are in they have to announce to the world they are Vegan like it actually means something. Then the really rabid ones have to go and try to convert people like it's a life long goal.*

As for the dark ages quote I thought he meant in the years BE (Before Electricity), where everyone sat around in the dark because only cavemen had fire!!

*Note: I do know Vegan-ism is not a religion :p

Reactions: Neptune
I suppose I didn't have to scream for freedom, in the end Mum just gave up.

Caveman also got to drag women around by the hair. That'll teach 'em!! :)

I think fucking tofu is how the Vegan-ism religion started :)

Reactions: redfly