Fun with Metal!

I still think Nativity In Black is the best overall tribute album.

I think Nativity In Black was good because they weren't all Sabbath like bands. Getting a whole bunch of doom bands to recreate Sabbath is like asking them to do what they do every day. Getting a bunch of hard rock, thrash, whatever bands means they are coming up with something different. I remember listening to Orange Goblin for the first time and thinking that if they did a Sabbath cover it would be good, and sure enough it was, but it was hardly a stretch for them.

Any Zakk Sabbath stuff released on physical media I'll probably buy because I've got a lot of his stuff already but most of the Sabbath tribute stuff I wont bother buying.

Reactions: redfly
These Sanctuary auditions are pretty damn good!

Whenever I read the word sanctuary, even when it's about the band, my brain automatically goes to the Maiden song. I don't know why, I don't even like the Maiden song that much.

Reactions: Neptune
I think Nativity In Black was good because they weren't all Sabbath like bands. Getting a whole bunch of doom bands to recreate Sabbath is like asking them to do what they do every day. Getting a bunch of hard rock, thrash, whatever bands means they are coming up with something different. I remember listening to Orange Goblin for the first time and thinking that if they did a Sabbath cover it would be good, and sure enough it was, but it was hardly a stretch for them.

Any Zakk Sabbath stuff released on physical media I'll probably buy because I've got a lot of his stuff already but most of the Sabbath tribute stuff I wont bother buying.
Yeah I agree with that. The NB covers are more interesting.

I'd buy Zakk Sabbath over the tribute cd's as well.

Reactions: Slammed
Yeah I agree with that. The NB covers are more interesting.

I'd buy Zakk Sabbath over the tribute cd's as well.

I think Nativity also came along at the right time. Most of the bands were popular and were either playing live or releasing music and the market wasn't flooded. It seems like nearly everyone's had a go at Black Sabbath lately.

One of the best tribute type albums like these I've got is the doom tribute to Pink Floyd when the guitarist of the band The Sword released Doom Side Of The Moon.

Reactions: redfly and Neptune
I think Nativity also came along at the right time. Most of the bands were popular and were either playing live or releasing music and the market wasn't flooded. It seems like nearly everyone's had a go at Black Sabbath lately.

One of the best tribute type albums like these I've got is the doom tribute to Pink Floyd when the guitarist of the band The Sword released Doom Side Of The Moon.
Oh yeah I can't really name one before it, not that that means there wasn't. But they nailed it with that one. I don't think Nativity 2 is nearly as good.

Oh? I'll have to check that out.

Reactions: Neptune and Slammed
Oh yeah I can't really name one before it, not that that means there wasn't. But they nailed it with that one. I don't think Nativity 2 is nearly as good.

Oh? I'll have to check that out.

I think the general rule of thumb says there must have been one before it even if we can't name it :)

It's worth checking out.

Reactions: Neptune and redfly
Can't go wrong!

As much as I like hearing some demos and seeing where a band came from listening to the Death Demo Anthology was a bit of a stretch. It was kind of like listening to all those live audio shows they released a few months back. After you heard the same song a few times every recording started to sound the same.

Reactions: Neptune and redfly