Funny, but sad truth as well...

If it makes you feel better to call me a doo-doo pants because I didn't know shit about metal until my 20's (due in part to regional differences between my neighborhood and one with more people who know what metal is), then go for it.[/quote]

Still what the hell does "regional" mean? i did not have clubs in my neighborhood either, had to go 45 minutes to an hour to Raliegh. Did not have a record store on the corner either, the only one was a Record Town on the other side of town, and still had to venture to other towns for wider selection. Well there was to indies in my town at various times but they were still not across the street or in my neighborhood yet still I managed to find the metal.
So what does regional mean? Were you in the DC/ Maryland area though the 90s? It is hard to believe that a metro area did not have record stores both commercial chain retailer and indies.

Just off the top of my head, the Baltimore-DC region has:
Maryland Deathfest
A389 Festival
Defenders of the Old
Doom or Be Doomed

and it gets most tours. I'm really interested to know what 'big' would be.

The 'underground' scene is doing pretty well up there. And that doesn't really have much to do with the original point that started this whole thing, that metal is big in the US. It is. We live in a country where Kanye West wears metal patches, a TV show about a fake metal band gets all sorts of publicity, Black Sabbath headlines arenas and has a number 1 album, and KFC references black metal in their commercials. Joe Blow's anime-inspired power metal band not appearing on MTV's Cribs doesn't mean that Metal is not big. Who cares if only the .0001 top % of bands 'make it'? That is just plain average for any style of music.

Still what the hell does "regional" mean?

It means I am from the PG County ghetto and where I come from, metal would be "white people music". So the only people who know about "white people music" are white people, and there were maybe 3 of them that I knew personally. One was my mom. The other were my teachers. I didn't want to have to spell it out like this, but the only way I could listen to white people music (until the internet) was through the radio and my parents didn't let me have one because most of our radio stations played rap music, which they considered a bad influence.

Regional. I am from the GHETTO. So ghetto, I lived down the street from a Golden Skillet. I moved out when I graduated college and that's the same year I started my first band.

And I am only saying this as an example of why people in certain areas don't go to metal shows. I didn't start until my mid-20's because I literally had NO IDEA. Neither did most of the kids I went to school with. You think my ghetto ass school knew anything about Maryland Death Fest?

Here's a video from my high school. It will give you an idea of my hometown. Those are uniforms they're wearing, by the way. The year after I graduated, they became mandatory. In a public school.

Last edited by a moderator:
My high school in the 90s was the predominately black high school that was mainly hip-hop still I managed. I certainly had no metal on the radio either.
I believe it was Faster Pussycat who said, "where there is a whip there is a way"

My high school in the 90s was the predominately black high school that was mainly hip-hop still I managed.

good%2Bfor%2Byou.jpg

Again, this was never a competition. I was just using myself as an example of the kind of people who don't happen to know where the metal is.

I know, I am hungry for popcorn now!!!!!

Yeah, everyone gets exposed in different ways.

The one thing I wish to touch upon which Bob mentioned is the difference in how people got into metal, or more into underground bands.

What bothers me, like it does Bob too, is how younger folks talk about "back in the day" even though they werent there. All they know about is what they read on the internet.

Also with the net, they can get into one band, and discover 20 other mandatory must-like bands within one hour and act like they are an expert. Sure, this is great because it has enabled older bands to have a second go around.

What is funny though is now you have younger guys promoting clubs and festivals booking bands who were "C" level at best as headliners, and wondering why 50 people showed up. I think the issue is that folks who weren't there seem to live in this mystery world that certain bands were selling out arenas when they were barely support acts at smaller clubs even back in the day.

As far as why smaller "local" shows are emtpy, I offer my 2 cents:
1) there are just TOO many shows these days. A heck of a lot more than ever in my opinion. Not saying its a bad thing, but I think attendance for some suffer because of it

2) the sense of "Scene" is pretty much gone. With SO many bands touring, people who think they are regular "show goers" are simply just going to see the touring bands they like. Sure, this is still great. Though how many regularly occuring local scene shows are there these days that people regularly support? Here in Chicago at least, the number is VERY small. Mostly there is only support in the death metal scene.

3) Not to pull "old school" here but back in the day local fans cheerished the local bands. they were excited to purchase their demo tapes and wear their shirts. They would dub their cassettes to give to others to check out. Now everyone just assumed everyone can check it out online. IF they do, great! but back then it was more physically put in front of you.

You know, it's funny...for as much as you harp on about "they weren't there"....were you in Tampa? Were you in the Bay Area? Where were you? All you knew is who came through your town, and what you read in magazines and things. The only thing is the medium has changed. Reading is reading, whether it's on a page or on a screen. Even in current day -- you're not in Europe. I suppose that means you can't talk about what things are like with Pagan Altar or with Solstice or with KIT! And I can say with 100% certainty, and maybe it's just the people I personally associate with, but I see you and Bob talk about younger people talking about 'back in the day' than I actually see the younger people talking about it.

Anyway, and maybe I'm just lucky to live where I live, but the promoters here have a pretty good idea on draw. And we have a great sense of 'scene'.

And we have a great sense of 'scene'.

Chicago does as well. There is a core group of people which I guess you would call a scene who support local shows, support the Metal Market and other functions as well. It isn't huge but a nice size group. Sure they don't turnout at every show but when there is a good local show...they will be there.

Chicago does as well. There is a core group of people which I guess you would call a scene who support local shows, support the Metal Market and other functions as well. It isn't huge but a nice size group. Sure they don't turnout at every show but when there is a good local show...they will be there.

Yep I'd say Chicago has hands down the best metal scene in the country. Great bands, great fests, great labels, and you guys get EVERY. SINGLE. SHOW. It's infuriating. I saw Enslaved there, on a night where Dream Theater was at one venue, DRI at another, and Pelican at yet another. And there were at least 800 people at the Enslaved show. Nuts.