Funny, but sad truth as well...

There is now simply different outlets for this exposure (internet) and not only did it replace but it opened up exposure to to people wider than ever before.
Just because something can be posted on the internet, doesn't mean it's getting exposure.

Going to a mainstream retail store like FYE I see a larger metal section than I ever saw in a store through the 80s and 90s; obviously someone is buying it for it all to be the store.
I can't speak for what stores you shopped at or what FYE is stocking these days. However, FYE is not doing well. They've closed hundreds of stores. As for what people are buying, only 30% of FYE's sales are from music.

I can't understand the metal is not "in" theory, if anything metal is bigger than ever no matterr if it is core, hipster or whatever, in a whole it is pretty huge.
I would say that mostly, this thread is about the more traditional music we listen to, not hipster Metal.

Hell just look around at the popular culture, metal in some form is everywhere. When I can order a pizza from Domino's and they are using Maiden...

So Judas Priest in car commercials is small? Sorry I can't buy it;
Ironically, "buy it" is the ideal phrase. Advertisers use this music because it allows them to reach the demographic the manufacturer is chasing (men in their 40s), not because the Metal scene is vibrant.

But smaller original bands? People in this area are more likely to see an original band if they play the current type of "in" music, which is hipster indie rock.

This has pretty much always been the DC scene, Nina. We had a pretty decent underground metal scene up through '91-92, but that was 100% riding on the overall popularity of metal in the mainstream. Since then, all the "revivals" of metal haven't brought about a local scene revival.

(As an aside, by the "DC Scene" I mean the NoVA/MD suburbs, as DC had almost all the clubs but almost no actual local metal scene, not even in the '80s. All the bands were from the 'burbs.)

Jaxx held the scene together here for longer than it probably should have lasted, but even then, I haven't seen a locals only show in that room (be it Jaxx or Empire) that could rival what used to happen in the late '90s, and even then our fanbases weren't big enough to support many of them. By comparison, in the "glory days" of the local scene, when locals would get 225-300 people out to that room on a regular basis, and even "dead" nights had over 100.

Lack of interest is, in the end, the big issue.

The money factor is the main one I think. For my case, I'd love to go to PP every year, I wanted to come every year, but didn't until 2012. But being from Canada, flying is very expensive ($550) from here. Add to this lodging, tickets, meals and everything else, and for me, it'll cost more than $1200 to attend this year. I'm not sure I'll be able to attend next year, even if the line-up is killer. I'll have to see how it goes then. So, the interest is really there, but the money factor can hurt. It's not everyone with a family that is able to spend that kind of money "only for a music festival". Or is willing to spend that money for his sole benefit, while it could be spent for a vacation with the whole family for example.

However, for "regular" people in their 40s and more, it's quite clear that the interest to attend most metal shows is not there anymore. There are not lots of fools like me that will drive 5 or 6 hours to be able to see a band they love. Most of the time they won't even buy tickets to see the band in their own city...

I agree. It is expensive and with age people stop attending concerts. At my age(45) I am fortune enough to afford concerts, travelling, etc. Money is not a important factor for me. Good job, wife has a better job, no kids, no morgage. I hope to keep going until I die but it is tough....

DC had an amazing punk scene for most of the 80s through the early 90s.
One of my favorite scenes of all time actually.

No idea what it is like these days.

...and yet those same folks will spend 400 bucks a ticket to be on the floor to see Journey. Or Rush...

Maybe you have to charge a lot MORE? :Smokedev:

That's a huge pet peeve of mine.

"Fan" complains there are "never" good prog-power metal packages/shows. Then, when there are, they refuse to pay $10-20 for a ticket because of whatever BS reason, but always complaining they don't have the money, because the economy is bad.

Yet these are the same complaining douchebags that will go see the "bigger" names who come back every year (Maiden, Kamelot, Nightwish, SX, Etc) every time they come around, for a hell of a lot more money. It confuses me...

"Fan" complains there are "never" good prog-power metal packages/shows. Then, when there are, they refuse to pay $10-20 for a ticket because of whatever BS reason, but always complaining they don't have the money, because the economy is bad.

Yet these are the same complaining douchebags that will go see the "bigger" names who come back every year (Maiden, Kamelot, Nightwish, SX, Etc) every time they come around, for a hell of a lot more money. It confuses me...

no, even worse....these are the same ones you see then spend money on stupid stuff. People who always use the "economy" as an excuse crack me up. They always have money though for useless things. Sure it is tight for a lot but a $20 show of a band you like isn't going to put you in the red. I have seen people who say this come to shows and spend tons on beer. To each their own I guess but I hate that excuse.

Now if they are out of work...sure. Use the economy excuse. It seems to be the fallback excuse for a lot of people.

no, even worse....I have seen people who say this come to shows and spend tons on beer. To each their own I guess but I hate that excuse.

I have seen people bitch about a $20 ticket then blow $100 at a bar on several occasions. Next day, still talking about how overpriced the show was. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Bitching about a $50k tricycle and then buying a lambo doesn't mean the trike isn't overpriced ;)

Andor most metal shows, I'd agree that 20 is a little much.

Bitching about a $50k tricycle and then buying a lambo doesn't mean the trike isn't overpriced ;)

Andor most metal shows, I'd agree that 20 is a little much.

im almost positive these were either amon amarth shows, kama or sx. hahaha a few years back.

".....Then, when there are...",for who? for you?

It is simple. Personal preference. I never bought a single ticket or CD just to help the scene or Metal. If I like the band I support, if I don't I couldn't care less if they starve to death...

I would pay HUGE money to see Before the Dawn, or Volbeat, or Saviour Machine but I wouldn't spend a single dime on Leprous (people here love them) or Black Sabbath, for example.

The notion of "Metal Unite" is BS!!!

It is simple. Personal preference. I never bought a single ticket or CD just to help the scene or Metal. If I like the band I support, if I don't I couldn't care less if they starve to death...

I would pay HUGE money to see Before the Dawn, or Volbeat, or Saviour Machine but I wouldn't spend a single dime on Leprous (people here love them) or Black Sabbath, for example.

Thanks for nothing then. Dick.

I was born in the 80's, and my only exposure to metal was through my brother who went to see Poison and Cinderella. In the 90's, I still didn't really know that metal existed. In my neighborhood music store, there was no metal section. Our rock stations only played grunge. I didn't learn about metal until my senior year of high school, all because of Napster. Like I said, there's big regional differences. I still meet people who have no idea who Dio is and who's only knowledge of Black Sabbath extends to their knowledge that Ozzy was on a reality show.

First thing is you are referring to Poison and Cinderella; that is not and never has been heavy metal regardless what MYV and Metal Edge ever called it. If we do stretch it as far to call it "metal" it is nowhere close to power, traditional, or even what you guys do. When I refer to "metal" and say it was not that big even back then I refer to real metal. Take bands like Attacker; a metal band from the 80s but they would only be able to get back then what they can achieve now in the states, why because no one gave a shit about heavy metal on a large scale.
If your exposure to metal was Poison from your brother I would say "you must first unlearn what you have learned".
I would guess being around DC that you might have been born and grew up around there? If this is the case I cannot believe there were not record store galore around there that would have sold metal and more underground stuff. I'm not talking Record Bars, Camelots, etc which actually all did have metal sections because those chains usually all had the same lay out. But knowing several people and bands from that area who grew up in the 80s and on into their teens in the 90s I know from them there was metal up there. Also consider that bands that came from the area.
Maybe you grew up in Montana, there I could believe there was no metal in record stores.
The fact probably is and I truly mean no disrespect but you are too young for starters, probably had no idea were to really look, and could only go off of what you were exposed to to start you on your way on the metal journey. Unfortunately, and I do understand, not all kids had that bus driver who gave them mix tapes, the camp canceler that gave them Sanctuary demos before the band had an album, or a friend who introduced them to Death, and so on.
cotinued from last night; forgot where this thought was going. HAHA

addition; you mention having Napster going on that you would have had the internet so you would have had much more exposure than anyone in the 80s would have and it would have been much easier to come, that is of course if you took advantage of it. So really you would not have needed record stores for your exposure. And internet has absolutely nothing to do with region. I also can't buy into that thinking about people I know from the midwest who were isolated from anything yet they found a way to be exposed before internet. So the region things does seem like an excuse or maybe just a simplified explanation.

Just because something can be posted on the internet, doesn't mean it's getting exposure.

I can't speak for what stores you shopped at or what FYE is stocking these days. However, FYE is not doing well. They've closed hundreds of stores. As for what people are buying, only 30% of FYE's sales are from music.

I would say that mostly, this thread is about the more traditional music we listen to, not hipster Metal.

Ironically, "buy it" is the ideal phrase. Advertisers use this music because it allows them to reach the demographic the manufacturer is chasing (men in their 40s), not because the Metal scene is vibrant.

Not saying because something is on the internet it gets more exposure, but it does have way more potential than bands in the 80s that did not have it.
I was not at all talking about record stores shutting doors, that had absolutely nothing to do with what I said. I know FYEs are shutting down all over. However every FYE has heavy metal sections (that I have seen in many states) and all chain stores were and usually still are laid out the same way. Still my point had nothing to do with FYEs being open or closed I merely said they do have metal sections and pretty large ones. Matter of fact just in one today.
Also I believe I referred to metal in genreal being whatever subgenre, still some from of metal. And one of my points that I tried to get to is that just because your or my particular brand of metal is not "in" doesn't mean that heavy metal is not. This issue is the same with any form of popular music; their are sub-genres of hiphop, dance music, country that may not be as happening as others in that genre but it should not be looked at to reflect on the whole genre and how poplar it may or may not be.

First thing is you are referring to Poison and Cinderella; that is not and never has been heavy metal regardless what MYV and Metal Edge ever called it. If we do stretch it as far to call it "metal" it is nowhere close to power, traditional, or even what you guys do. When I refer to "metal" and say it was not that big even back then I refer to real metal. Take bands like Attacker; a metal band from the 80s but they would only be able to get back then what they can achieve now in the states, why because no one gave a shit about heavy metal on a large scale.
If your exposure to metal was Poison from your brother I would say "you must first unlearn what you have learned".
I would guess being around DC that you might have been born and grew up around there? If this is the case I cannot believe there were not record store galore around there that would have sold metal and more underground stuff. I'm not talking Record Bars, Camelots, etc which actually all did have metal sections because those chains usually all had the same lay out. But knowing several people and bands from that area who grew up in the 80s and on into their teens in the 90s I know from them there was metal up there. Also consider that bands that came from the area.
Maybe you grew up in Montana, there I could believe there was no metal in record stores.
The fact probably is and I truly mean no disrespect but you are too young for starters, probably had no idea were to really look, and could only go off of what you were exposed to to start you on your way on the metal journey. Unfortunately, and I do understand, not all kids had that bus driver who gave them mix tapes, the camp canceler that gave them Sanctuary demos before the band had an album, or a friend who introduced them to Death, and so on.
cotinued from last night; forgot where this thought was going. HAHA

addition; you mention having Napster going on that you would have had the internet so you would have had much more exposure than anyone in the 80s would have and it would have been much easier to come, that is of course if you took advantage of it. So really you would not have needed record stores for your exposure. And internet has absolutely nothing to do with region. I also can't buy into that thinking about people I know from the midwest who were isolated from anything yet they found a way to be exposed before internet. So the region things does seem like an excuse or maybe just a simplified explanation.

nina......

Last edited by a moderator:
this arguement can go on for eternity. Each person got into metal at different points of their life and at different decades. I a lot of the old timers don't like it when new fans who just got into metal in the past decade talk about the "old days" when they were not born or still in the single digit age group. It is easy to read about the 80's and see it through another persons eye's but to actually have been through it. It is a different story. I am sure there will be people in twenty years talking about how metal was insanely huge in 2000- 2010. How there were fest all over, tours, and local shows. Now the people who are newer to the scene will be like us old timers saying...well yeah but it wasn't as big as you might think. Basically this cycle will never end. All I hope for is that there is still bitter people like myself in that future who sit on what ever public digital forum is used to still be angry and bitter at life!:rolleyes: