Funny, but sad truth as well...

Yep I'd say Chicago has hands down the best metal scene in the country. Great bands, great fests, great labels, and you guys get EVERY. SINGLE. SHOW. It's infuriating. I saw Enslaved there, on a night where Dream Theater was at one venue, DRI at another, and Pelican at yet another. And there were at least 800 people at the Enslaved show. Nuts.

Very true....some nights there is multiple metal shows. it is hard also at times because with so much you have to make a choice to miss some stuff due to other things going on in life.

You know, it's funny...for as much as you harp on about "they weren't there"....were you in Tampa? Were you in the Bay Area? Where were you?

I believe I clarified that when speaking about "local" shows, I stated "in Chicago"

Just saying I have seen people on many forums talk about what it was like when Metallica released the Black album or when Priest released Turbo, or the funniest when Savatage were selling out venues worldwide, though they were not there. Period. Sorry.

The reality is many labels and promoters have made mistakes based on their misconception of how certain bands draw or sell.

You know, it's funny...for as much as you harp on about "they weren't there"....were you in Tampa? Were you in the Bay Area? Where were you?

And this means what exactly? The Bay Area and Florida were not the only things happening metal wise in the U.S. during the 80s. They seem that they both got the most attention and rightful so for obvious reasons, BUT they weren't the only thing. Every major area across the country seemed to have it's own small "scene", damn look at all the comp. albums out there. HAHA

And this means what exactly? The Bay Area and Florida were not the only things happening metal wise in the U.S. during the 80s. They seem that they both got the most attention and rightful so for obvious reasons, BUT they weren't the only thing. Every major area across the country seemed to have it's own small "scene", damn look at all the comp. albums out there. HAHA

My mistake -- next time I will be sure to list every city and town in the US to make that point.

No mistake at all...........

Jeremy made a clear example of how you generalized based on what you read online.

Dude, you keep proving our points over and over. Keep going though....

Because at the end of the day, nobody cares about those bands that came from the "other" scenes. The only bands that mattered doing interesting things and making music that was worth listening to were those bands at that time, who happened to come from those places. The fact that there are people who care more about being apart of some made up club than they actually care about the music is EQUALLY as much of a shame as the OP pic that started this thread.

"Scenes" get big when you have labels, bands, festivals, shows that are worth people's time and money. And I didn't have to have "been there" to know that Metallica, Slayer, et al weren't constructed by "the scene"; the scene was constructed by them due to their music being fresh and worth people's time and money.

Because at the end of the day, nobody cares about those bands that came from the "other" scenes. The only bands that mattered doing interesting things and making music that was worth listening to were those bands at that time, who happened to come from those places.

I get what you are trying to say, but its coming off to me like you are saying that the only bands that mattered are the ones who got more exposure. That is an extremely mainstream point of view.

I suppose that logic is why you would claim a band like MANILLA ROAD must suck because they were never signed to Metal Blade and never got press in Hit Parader, Circus, RIP, Kerrrang, etc???

There were plenty bands in plenty of scenes that were doing something unique.

So you did live in Tampa and the Bay Area and therefore can pull the "I was there" card?

Huh??? Not sure where this is coming from.

The only "I was there" I am speaking of is in contrast to folks who make claims such as "the scene reacted THIS way when TURBO came out" when they weren't even born yet.

Much like you may get a different story about the Depression, World War I, World War II, Vietnam, etc, etc, from your grandpa, great grandpa, etc, than you would from your history book about the feelings and emotions of those who went through it.

So back to metal, regardless of where you were geographically, one who was into metal back then can better speak to the fans reactions (IE - saw the impact in how people literally talked about the album, saw the impact on concert attendance, etc), than someone who reads online that the general consensus is that "well that album sucked, so it ruined Judas Priest"

Just using Priest and TURBO as an example here............

It's certainly not Crystal clear what his reasoning is.

i-see-what-you-did-there-futurama-fry-sneaky-sneak-Hk7gda.jpg

So back to metal, regardless of where you were geographically, one who was into metal back then can better speak to the fans reactions (IE - saw the impact in how people literally talked about the album, saw the impact on concert attendance, etc), than someone who reads online that the general consensus is that "well that album sucked, so it ruined Judas Priest"

Ok, now we're getting somewhere!!

So, what you're saying is, for other regions that you didn't have immediate access to, you had to rely on other people's opinions. You read it in a magazine, you got the info in a letter from a buddy accross the country, whatever.

How is that any different from the youngins? Read it on the internet (or, shit, still in a print zine), got an email/text message from a friend...

It's the same thing. Different time periods.
It's not like the younger generation is the only one who thinks they know everything about the past, or how things 'really were'. You even see it in this very thread between the older guys. Some see the past through rose-tinted lenses and whatnot. You guys can't even agree on what it was like!

The difference is, even though I wasn't there, I still can see what things were like, using many of the same resources people back then did. The Slayer/Metalion zine compilation. Zine scans. Old interviews. Old press releases and pictures. Old live recordings and video footage. Chats with people who went to shows then and still go to shows now. 80's metal isn't some mysterious holy grail.

I can't go to a show during the week without taking the the day off of work. And it better be a great band to see. I saw Kingcrow & PoS at Empire a few weeks ago. But that's rare I do that.

Weekend shows almost always have higher attendance of weekends, but not always. Sometimes I just shake my head.

One example was when Saxon played 2 Bay Area shows on the same weekend during their last tour. The Friday night show in Santa Clara drew around 700. The Saturday night show 100 miles away in Santa Rosa drew less than 150. Both nice venues, both the same price. For someone living in San Francisco or Oakland, the distance was about the same to either venue. A lot of it is promotion and some of it is just that some venues don't draw well regardless of who is playing.

But the same promoter who drew well for Saxon booked Michael Monroe for a show in Santa Clara on a weeknight. The draw was probably less than 100 and he promoted the heck out of it and had a name band (Jetboy) opening. Less than a year earlier Michael Monroe drew at least double than in a club in San Francisco on a weeknight with no promotion and a no name opening band. Why? I have no idea. That's just what happens sometimes.