Future of Speech

SIMPLE? You think it's simple? You're not simple...are you? "A simple kind of man?" :rolleyes: Sorry, if you never heard that song you probably wouldn't get that...MOVING ON!

What I mean is you say, "When you have no one, no one can hurt you." OK, that may be true for you, but it's far from it for me. It makes me crazy wondering how these people can affect me the way they do. It must be some deep-rooted hope for humanity to get it right. I don't know. It's sort of hard to actually put into words now that I'm trying to.

An example would be...say I only know someone's first name yet something they do can bring me to tears. I'm waaaaaay too sensitive to others actions. Maybe someday I'll figure out the secret to being hard as nails inside as well as out, but for now I'm baffled at some of the things I see people do.

It's simple to see what's wrong with something, but incredibly annoying to try and figure out why.

When I first heard that line, I believed and understood it...I thought. Now I realized (for me) it only applies to strong relationships...family or friendships. The kind that feels like your hearts torn out and you can't breath...can't comprehend what you need to do...ever again.

Everything else still hurts...just not as bad. A recoverable type of hurt. The kind that you think about for a few hours...even days and then its over and you walk away feeling like you've learned something.

:eek: ::looks back on oversized post:: I'm done!

a concept on the "when you have no one, no one can hurt you" bit... first off i must say i do NOT agree that its as straight forward as don corleone's saying... i've always kind of taken it in a vaguely "oddessy"-esque manner... as in, even when you have "no one", "no one" can hurt you... that having no one can hurt just as much as having anyone... its a great line, that sums up a lot about the cd... having people can hurt you, not having people can hurt just as much... that's just my take tho.

look guys, it is as simple as it gets

Nope. It's as simple as you make it, and I haven't found much simplicity in life so far.
Just let people develop and follow their chain of thought, this way it'll be more productive. No offence intended, but such comments can easily kill a nice thread. ;)

...i've always kind of taken it in a vaguely "oddessy"-esque manner... as in, even when you have "no one", "no one" can hurt you... that having no one can hurt just as much as having anyone... its a great line, that sums up a lot about the cd... having people can hurt you, not having people can hurt just as much... that's just my take tho.

:: scratches chin and nods ::

Yep. Uh-huh. I didn't see it like that yet. Thank you. I didn't see it like that at all. Yes. Now, to me, it makes more sense than ever.

Heh! I've got my win amp on random. GUESS WHAT JUST STARTED. :dopey:

well, let me tell you guys, the time i picked up the LFDGD album, i was going through some hard times...with my friends, ex-girlfriends, relationships, family and so on...then i realized this line ("when you...") on dont tell a soul, and it just knocked me out! i said to myself "yeah, i mean, if these people around me hurt me all the time, why should i bother having them around?" with that decision made, i cut off most of my relationships without letting them know about my decision: i just wouldn call them and say i was busy if they asked me out or something...but then, things didnt go the way i planned...i mean i did keep a few real friends, but i missed the other times. i missed the phone calls. and i actually got bored a little bit, to be honest. and i could never tell them about this decision and they kept calling, asking...so i tore down my shell finally. and this time around, i'll talk face-to face with the ones i had problems with. so yes, it is as simple as it gets: when you have no one, no one can hurt you. but it's not really good to have no one. and "to have no one" in the 21st century is practically impossible, asi saw and told you. so here is the actual story behind my post.

"...but then, things didnt go the way i planned...i mean i did keep a few real friends, but i missed the other times. i missed the phone calls. and i actually got bored a little bit, to be honest. and i could never tell them about this decision and they kept calling, asking...so i tore down my shell finally. and this time around, i'll talk face-to face with the ones i had problems with."

This sounds like something that I'd try myself and fail equally. Putting up a wall or shell to block out the world is only good for a temporary relief I guess...to catch your breath.

Originally posted by Opet
"...but then, things didnt go the way i planned...i mean i did keep a few real friends, but i missed the other times. i missed the phone calls. and i actually got bored a little bit, to be honest. and i could never tell them about this decision and they kept calling, asking...so i tore down my shell finally. and this time around, i'll talk face-to face with the ones i had problems with."

This sounds like something that I'd try myself and fail equally. Putting up a wall or shell to block out the world is only good for a temporary relief I guess...to catch your breath.

yeah, i couldnt agree more.

I always wondered whom Jonas heard singing the line "When you have no one, no one can hurt you". Any idea?

:) i guess that was me after all.

when you have no one, no one can hurt you

I think that someone who was disappointed by people around him tends to isolate himself, just because he's afraid to suffer again.
Sometimes I told myself the same sentence, but this thing of creating a "wall" around yourself doesn't help, it's just a way to avoid reality and it makes things even worse.
As we live in a society we can't run away from people, yet not all the people are terrible, our life would have no meaning without SOME people, the right ones of course.
I see this "no one" more related to a love relationship, it seems like in many others lyrics that Jonas has suffered a lot because of the end of a relationship and now he's kind of afraid to "have someone" again ...

Originally posted by the_joy_of_grief
I always wondered whom Jonas heard singing the line "When you have no one, no one can hurt you". Any idea? :rolleyes:

... wow... good question... i'd actually never even considered that, but he is definitely quite clearly attributing it to *someone else*... which is strange. i dont know if he means anyone in particular or just an attitude in someone's music, but it certainly can be read as if he's almost quoting someone...

AH!

okay, using my insane google-skills, i actually have an answer for you.

he is quoting a song called 'you will miss me when i burn', by will oldham (thats the 'o how i enjoy the light' guy, yes?)!

the song starts out "when you have no one, no one can hurt you... when you have no one, no one can hurt you"

wow... a discovery!! (unless this is somethign that was painfully obvious to everyone already)... i feel special :) now going to look for a copy of this song...

but yes, a real answer: "someone" is will oldham

did a little research on will oldham... turns out he also wrote a song called 'tonight's decision'... starting to realize how much of an impact this guy has obviously had on jonas/katatonia... just thought i'd throw that out there... dont know if this is all stuff everyone but me has known a long time, but... i find it interesting, at least :)

"I wonder how many other song names Katatonia stole from him." You say this as if it’s a bad thing. ;) What an odd thing to find out. I guess it’s only strange to me because I never heard the name Will Oldham before.

"Sometimes I told myself the same sentence, but this thing of creating a "wall" around yourself doesn't help, it's just a way to avoid reality and it makes things even worse. As we live in a society we can't run away from people, yet not all the people are terrible, our life would have no meaning without SOME people, the right ones of course." I was looking for these exact words the other day. You can't avoid what you live in. You can turn it down for brief periods, but you can't turn it off completely.

I found a comment about Will Oldham's song:
'When you have no-one, no-one can hurt you', from Days in the Wake (1994). At first I heard it as a self-pitying lament for a lost love - which is pleasantly indulgent, but no more than that. Then I heard it as an implicit condemnation of someone protecting a solitude so pain can't get in. And finally I heard it as someone completely alone who is hurt by the very fact of 'no-one'.

Elric, thank you for having discovered this connection with Oldham!

No shit!

"I live off of this thing. That I heard someone sing." SWEET! Someone actually DID sing it and it wasn't just made up.