Just got "Viva Emptiness" - My review

Opethfan1980

Jaded and Gaunt
May 8, 2002
California, USA
sunsetfuneral.iuma.com
The disc seems more straightforward than even LFDGD, although parts of it are heavier.

Renkse's vocals have improved and his tone is very smooth, and emotional - it sort of reminds me of Eddie Vedder's clear tone (on songs like "Wishlist"). NOT the overcopied Eddie Vedder tone that most people think of.

Anyhow, here are track by track reviews:

"Ghost of the Sun" - The guitar is playing 16ths I believe for a great deal of the song, while Jonas is singing in his usual tone. The song has a lot of swearing, which I've heard from Katatonia in the future, but not in the first song. He sounds really bitter. The chorus is more uptempo than the verse, and the musical bridge is very nice as well. A nice mood change. This song is a great way to open up the album.

"Sleeper" - Good song. The chorus is very hectic, and has some very intense drumming.

"Criminals" - One of my favorite tracks on the disc. A very beautiful and flowing song. Jonas' voice in this one are just prime. The chorus is about letting go, and you can really hear the desperation in his voice. This is another power ballad style track, with a very toned down verse - Jonas' voice singing softly over a running bass line. Beautiful and well done.

"A Premonition" - A slower song that gradually gets heavier. Very alt-rock ish. Vintage Katatonia.

"I Will Arrive" - Opens with a thunderous riff, probably the heaviest on the album, which is cut short to go back to the verse chorus format. The pre-chorus and chorus use the main riff, and are really catchy. Another excellent track.

"BurnThe Rememberance" - Renkse's voice really reminds me of the melodic Vedder on this track. A very hard hitting emotional song.

"Wealth" - Opening riff is a bit of a departure from most of this album. Has almost a nu metal feel, with some heavy crunch. This song has a large contrast in the verse and chorus. The verse is very mellow, but the chorus very heavy. There are some very good vocal harmonies in the verses, and some very creative basswork.

"One Year From Now" - This one actually reminds me of the Beatles. Something I could picture hearing on "Sgt. Pepper." That's a compliment, by the way. Renkse's voice is excellent in this track as well, and there are some nice strings going on.

"Walking By a Wire" - If one thing, this disc is consistant in it's devotion to the soft verse, heavier chorus format. This track is another one, with a good climb, and the chorus is very catchy.

"Complicity" - A moody song, and another where Renkse's voice sounds like Vedder. I really like this tone for him. "This time I promise I won't give up - I have no right to let go, I have no right to do so," he wails and his voice conveys this sense of regret beautifully.

"Evidence" - Sort of reminds me of "Ghost of the Sun." The chorus is one of the best on the disc.

"Omerta" - Possibly my favorite on here. A truly beautiful song, another that reminds me a bit of the Beatles. The chorus has some wonderful vocal harmonies, and the track is laid back and just great.

"Inside the City of Glass" - Another excellent, moody track. Aside from some muted whispers, this one is all instrumental. A great way to close out the disc.

Nice review! I'm looking forward to the album even more now! For all you whiners who are going to flood this thread with message saying "don't ruin it for us!" bla bla bla... there's nothing but praise here! How could it do anything but make you want it more!?

P.S. Put some tracks on DC or something... please... or not... it's up to you!

I think it was a good review too.

It's strange to think how far Katatonia have come in their musical progression....

Edit- I should add that I haven't heard the album yet, and won't even try. The best feeling I can get is when I bring the album home and listen to it fresh, for the first time... I love that feeling and wouldn't part with it for anything.

I'm seeing them live 7-8 days after the official release date, and that is far too little time to take in the album fully. I'm not sure whether I'll download the album beforehand, but it seems a likely option.

The release date (24th) is on monday, right? Usually you can find albums well before the actual date, so I bet it's in some stores on the 21st at latest. That way there's atleast a week and a half before the Finland gigs. That should be enough for me, I guess.

Depends on the album. Damage Done by Dark Tranquillity for example, was nowhere in Helsinki on the release date, the 22nd of July. Wasn't untill the 24th that I could get a copy.

Nice review there Opeth Fan, I agree with your breakdown of the tracks that I have heard, It is a logical progression I suppose I was expecting more of the same, but I am enjoying the tracks I have got thoroughly, listening to Omerta now it is a beautiful track

How many doooo dooo daaa deee laaa laaa's are their on the album though, A premonition and Omerta both have them !!!

:cool: