Galneryus for PPUSAX!

This isn't the whole picture though. With somewhat good frequency when Japanese bands play one-off shows over here, it's because they are at that time recording an album in a studio here (99% of the time LA or maybe NY). I actually believe this was the case when Sex Machineguns did their show in Nashville.

I'm not exactly sure but I don't think Atlanta is a major hub for recording studios that are known for producing albums of our liking (though I'm sure there's a lot of rap music produced there). I'm sure it would be quite possible to pick up a Japanese band on the cheap who is going to be recording an album here in the states around that time...although finding such things out and arranging to play a festival then might prove difficult.

Also, $20k is an obscene figure and a gross overestimation. 6-7k is much more reasonable given today's airfare prices...but would not be a cost justifiable regardless.

No, it is not obscene or a gross overestimation. You're right, It would have to be "cost justifiable". In other words, it would allow money to be moved elsewhere. Let's say some sponsor said "I want to sponsor 5K for Galneryus" You and I both know that a)Galneryus won't be a headliner, and b)You are looking at about 10K to bring Galneryus and their support people. So, now you are talking about money being taken out from getting a stronger lineup to make up for the money being lost for the travel from Tokyo for a band who will not be anything but a 1 or 2.

Now, let's say someone comes up with $20K for Galneryus. Now, there is a FINANCIAL incentive to bring them in. Why? Answer: you can now have the extra cash to get another big name act to play PPUSA, plus it is now cost justifiable to bring in Galneryus for a 1 or 2 slot because there travel is paid for and you can move the rest of the money into getting a band like Rhapsody of Fire to become a 5, or add the money to a blockbuster offer to, for example, Advantasia.

Remember, As Glenn has repeatedly said, every sponsor dollar goes into IMPROVING the festival lineup, not improving the Harveston bank statement. Glenn has always been upfront about this, sometimes more than he should. That is why the only way a band like Galneryus shows up is under those conditions, where someone pledges an obscene amount of money to put Glenn in a position where he would be insane to say "no".

My 2 PHPs worth.

I saw the Sex Machineguns when I used to be stationed in Japan. They are great live! I'd love to see them in the U.S. but I agree it is wicked expensive. Used to cost my family and I $4-6000 to come home on leave and that was thru military oriented travel agencies with good discounts. I couldn't imagine what a Japanes travel agent/ticket agency would charge...

And I'm going back and will be able to see all the bands you're naming!

Sponsoring a band at cost also frees up funds. Having to pledge almost double the cost would definately be a gross overestimation. Giving Glenn financial incentive to hire another band means you're also sponsoring a second band. The concept of having to sponsor a band and a half to sponsor the one you want to is... well....
Japan doesn't cost much more than Israel.The band may need to pull double duty somehow, as in the case of Orphaned Land, to justify the cost.

On a side note: The busiest airport in the world is hardly "out of the way." You may have missed out on the numerous 1 stop flights between Tokyo and Atlanta.

Sponsoring a band at cost also frees up funds. Having to pledge almost double the cost would definately be a gross overestimation. Giving Glenn financial incentive to hire another band means you're also sponsoring a second band. The concept of having to sponsor a band and a half to sponsor the one you want to is... well....
Japan doesn't cost much more than Israel.The band may need to pull double duty somehow, as in the case of Orphaned Land, to justify the cost.

On a side note: The busiest airport in the world is hardly "out of the way." You may have missed out on the numerous 1 stop flights between Tokyo and Atlanta.

This man makes a lot of sense.

Learn from him.

So I know it may be a bit early to start these, but I'm thinking I might be putting up a few "insert band here" for Progpower X threads.

Actually, I'd say you're late. Glenn's probably already got the PPX bands locked in so he can start working on the announcement video, etc.

It's not too late for PP XI threads though ;)