gate?

ashgallows

resonant manipulator
Oct 22, 2007
Culver City
www.myspace.com
i am trying to engineer for tightness. everything is working relitively fine except the guitars have this loose character to them, i know the playing is usually the culprit but I tried backing off the gain by one number and all of the sudden they were tight but didnt have enough saturation to get the chug to come through. I tried the fredman technique but it wasnt tight enough and eventually i just lost the "angle" mic in the mix for clarity. i'm using 81's into a tubescreamer reissue with the drive at noon, tone at noon and the volume dimed into a 65050+ gain at 2 bass 6 mid 1 high at 2 through a 1960A into sm57 double tracked. do i just need a gate or is there some other issue i'm overlooking?

Clip?

Also, edit by hand. I prefer editing the DI and reamping versus cutting silence into an already tracked part, but's just taste. If the amp sound is tight, a simple gate might suit you pretty well.

That clip had no part where a gate would do its job. There's a lot of low mids when the guitars are palm muted though. Compress just that part, see Andy's c4 settings.
I did not hear this great sounding bass at all. Cymbals and hihat seems to be in mono for some reason.

gotcha, i will break out the c4 and try that again, in the past it's just made them seem kind of weak. you think the low mids should lean more on the bass guitar then? i kept it kind of low as the mixes i like and reference dont seem to have it featured as prominently, when i bring it up more i hear it clank in a way that kind of competes with the guitars for attention. as far as the cymbals and hi hat, yes they are mono tracks, i left them dry to try and keep the mix tight, do you have a suggestion for them?