Guitar gate help!

musickey

djenital moosic
Feb 17, 2006
INDIANA
Trying to get my live rig gated like Fear factory / Mushuggah / Decapitated.
Im using a Jackson DKMG Dinky with a EMG 81 and PA2 (20db gain booster) into a Mesa Triple Recto and im running a boss NS-1 Noise Suppressor from my guitar to my Mesa, and im running a MXR Smart Gate in the F/X loop and i still cant get the shit to gate tight. any help will be greatly appreciated Thanx:heh:

I'm probably talking complete bollocks, but in my head it would make more sense to put the gate before the amp and the the noise suppressor in the loop.

Surely that way the gate will work better because the signal it's gating will be cleaner (i.e. no background noise), and the noise suppressor can be used to remove the noise the amp makes when the gate is closed? I don't know though, I've never used either in my chain - it's just a thought.

Steve

You must find yourself a guitar gate. I suggest Rocktron Guitar Silencer, Behringer Guitar Denoiser (out of production, but can be found 2nd hand), or some people say the Decimator is great.

Use this chain:

Guitar -> gate -> EQ/Tube screamer/whatever (if you use that) -> amp.

Never put gates in your loop. That wouldbe silly. You take the beautiful sound of tubes and krank it thru 3-4 Taiwan IC's and caps. That will ruin your sound.

musickey said:
Trying to get my live rig gated like Fear factory / Mushuggah / Decapitated.
Im using a Jackson DKMG Dinky with a EMG 81 and PA2 (20db gain booster) into a Mesa Triple Recto and im running a boss NS-1 Noise Suppressor from my guitar to my Mesa, and im running a MXR Smart Gate in the F/X loop and i still cant get the shit to gate tight. any help will be greatly appreciated Thanx:heh:

For starters the guys from Fear factory never used gates. dino just used his volume control to kill amp noise on the first two records. but if you have to gate your amp try this. turn down the preamp gain just a bit to get rid of some of that mesa white noise. turn and your amps master volume up to compensate for any perceived gain loss, you should really want those power tubes to cook any way! try to find one of the old rocktron hush rack mount gates or hush systems pedals. the old 2 channel ones are best, and sound the most transparent. put the gate after all your other efx boxes. turn the threshold knob just enough to squelch the noise but not kill the attack of the notes the rocktron gate have a very musical sounding release, that doesn't cut of the tails of your notes.
hope that helps!

Genius Gone Insane said:
http://lib.roland.co.jp/manual/en/dl_06-10493/NS-2_e.pdf

Use one of these two setups. It's like the Millenium Falcon. It may look funny, but it's got it where it counts.

Omg. that is fucking hysterical! Hahaha. GGI - Truly... you are a star wars nut.

As for noise.. i use a single mxr gate.. it does the job.

Have you tried TURNING THE GAIN/DRIVE KNOB DOWN!?

Put your boogie gain at noon dude.. and ditch a few pedals.

Reffering to 3 posts up, I don't think he's after a 'musical release' from his gate. The Meshuggah/Tesseract sound has very abrupt gating after every rhythmic 'burst' so to speak. Half the charm is that it sounds mechanical.

I've never had the gear to replicate it live, but when needed I create sounds like that via the fascinating editing options we are given with modern DAWs.

Moonlapse said:
Reffering to 3 posts up, I don't think he's after a 'musical release' from his gate. The Meshuggah/Tesseract sound has very abrupt gating after every rhythmic 'burst' so to speak. Half the charm is that it sounds mechanical.

I've never had the gear to replicate it live, but when needed I create sounds like that via the fascinating editing options we are given with modern DAWs.

Moolapse, what i meant by "musical release" is that the gate doesn't chatter open and closed uncontrollably like some cheeper units, if you take the time to set it up correctly in conjunction with the gain and master volume controls on your amp. to my ears the older rocktron units work flawlessly for very tight stops and percussive guitar work. those older units have worked great for me both on the road and in the studio, maybe you should try one instead of using the delete key in your DAW as a noise gate.