Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Cable

Votes: 6 46.2%
  • It doesn't matter

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • I have no friggin' clue.

Votes: 2 15.4%

• Total voters
Well, now that we're getting settled into our new house, I am about ready to get my new, faster internet connection installed. My question is this: DSL or cable? Other than the file sharing I do with the IMG, I also use my connection for internet gaming,too. Which is better? Does it matter?

Cable Modem companies will claim faster speeds, DSL will point out its a 'shared' technology...In the end, you are often stuck with what is available to your house..you may not get all the wonderful options...find out ALL your options and then look at the following:

1. Which is cheaper.
2. If DSL in your area is only provided by Verizon go with Cable Modem.
3. Before you go with Cable Modem, make sure they offer BI-DIRECTIONAL service. Otherwise, you might get a big fat pipe for downloads, but uploads will be through a 33.6k modem built into the cable modem box. Sucks eh?
4. In either case, check the UPLOAD connection speed. Faster is better. Don't go with something that offers 640k down/90k up if you can get 640k up/256k up.
5. Rate the service provider. Go to www.dslreports.com if you are not sure.

In fact, go to www.dslreports.com anyway..cause its a very, very useful site to a person who is investigating broadband technology....including giving reports on what providers service your phone number/area. Go now!

actually in europe cable is faster than DSL, austria is the only country so far i know who uses even ADSL but cable is still faster...

DSL is better on the countryside, but in cities cable is preferable - and yes, cable is much cheaper!

Well, the decision was easy to make in the end. I called around today and learned that the rates for DSL went up. It used to be the same, but now DSL is $47.95/mo and cable is $39.95/mo. The DSL offered no installation fee but you had to buy your own Ethernet card. With the cable, there's no installation fee, the second month is free, and they provide the Ethernet card(installed).

So, naturally I went with the cable, it's a much better deal! :)

Anyway, thanks!

(Rabs: I'll check out the website, thanks again!)

My installation will be on July 3rd, woo hoo! Can't wait! :D

CHEERS!

Originally posted by Stormbringer
Austria is the only country so far i know who uses even ADSL

We've had ADSL available for some time here in Finland, but only up to 4MB/512k (as far as I know) and in a relatively high price.