Geoff Gayer out of Leatherwolf!

Wyvern

Master of Disaster
Staff member
Nov 24, 2002
Those who saw them at KIT better be happy. Straight from MySpace

OFFICIAL BAND STATEMENT:

"As of today, November 9, 2007, Geoff Gayer is no longer a member of LEATHERWOLF. We very much regret that it has come to this - a shock to most of you reading this no doubt - but in the interest of the future of this band it was a decision we had to make in the wake of our European tour which had to be cut short by one date.

"First of all, we would like to apologize to the Rock House crew in Pescara, Italy and all the fans that were looking forward to seeing us live. We were very much looking forward to playing for you all and ending our trip on a high note. Unfortunately, it was not meant to be. Geoff's unacceptable behavior prevented us from carrying .. last night's gig at the Black Horse in Cermenate, which was ruined by Mr.Gayer's alcohol-induced stupor and will go down as the most embarrassing performance in the long history of LEATHERWOLF. We will spare you the details but it was ugly - now we know how the members of UFO must have felt like every time Michael Schenker had one of his 'episodes'.

"We are now on our way back home to Orange County and will evaluate the situation and go from there. Working with Geoff in his current state is absolutely out of the question yet we are aware that replacing a key member and major creative force will not be easy. Ideally, we'll move on with a local Southern California guitar talent who we can write, rehearse, and gig with on a regular basis and gear up for 2008, which includes playing the Festival de Metal Borocua 5 next May in Puerto Rico.

"Qualified interested parties can contact us via this space or e-mail dean.rob_at_mac.com (please do not send us any mp3s unless asked!)."

Michael, Dean, Carey & Paul

Weow, saw them just in time than...
Hope they find a worthy replacement.
Just come back from a Sacred Oath gig (who also played at KIT)
and the vocalist told that Leatherwolf had all kinds of bad luck
this tour. Their guitars were stolen in Greece, the vocalist was
sick for a few days. Bad sound on some gigs etc.... and on top
than this. Sad, becouse it's an awesome band !!

More sad consindering that Geoff carried out with Dean after the original line-up broke up. They were the only ones by the time of "World Asylum" (which had a mean line-up btw glad I saw them live).

Last year i did get to see them at the Progpower pre-party with wade Black on vocals, and Geoff was drunk all the time,can't remeber if it was thursday or friday night when the wife or girlfriend was dragging him wasted from the venue really bad scen,yelling all kinds of shit and wanted more to drink

Shit happens ya'll. The truth is Geoff appears to have a drinking problem and it is not poor character. Alchoholism is a disease and he can't help the fact he has it. He CAN make serious lifestyle changes and try his best and if that doesn't work, stop drinking altogether.

I can speak from experience because I am always drunk at Progpower (though sometimes more drunk than others) as well. If I am not drunk, I am recovering and sick from the night before. At home I limit myself to drinking once a week because I have a two-and-a-half-year old son my wife and I are rasing. I can't drink only two or three or even six beers. It is either don't drink at all..... or drink until I pass out. That is why I choose to drink no more than once a week as I am an alcoholic. I am neither ashamed nor proud of it, but there is a little of both there. I am ashamed that I can't "social" drink and when I do, I end up getting drunk. I am proud that I am able to keep myself under control as far as not driving a vehicle while drinking and doing it only one day per week or less.
I suppose since most of you know me (at least somewhat by my posts) that you consider me "stronger" than Geoff. Well..... if my occupation/hobby dealt with playing clubs often where I was constantly around beer, I may not have lasted as long as he has.
I am not ashamed about being addicted to alchohol, but I sometimes am ashamed at the decisions I make when it comes to drinking alchohol and I am often ashamed for others that dismiss a disease for being a "bad person." I am not picking at you Flavio.... please do not think that. I am only trying to give you some first-hand experience. I just want you to realize that some people have a disease when it comes to drugs and alchohol, not simply a bad personality.

Bryant

No worries here Bryant, i been around loved ones family & friends with those problems too, i'm aware believe me, it's just that you're performing on a huge stage for a very demanding crowd, like i always tell my drummer after we play you can do your thing, i'll even carry you home, but wait till our set ends!!

Last year i did get to see them at the Progpower pre-party with wade Black on vocals, and Geoff was drunk all the time,

I was there too! That was the concert I was referring to and the one that turn me into Leatherwolf with or without a drunken Geoff.

Hope to see you next year then :kickass:.

@ Bryant: we love you the way you are...as long as you don't moonlight us :heh:, see you bro in 2008 too.

Alchoholism is a disease and he can't help the fact he has it.

No, Alcoholism is NOT a disease, it's an addiction. You choose to put Alcohol into your body. Cancer is a disease.

I'm fully aware of the body's neurological dependence upon alcohol and social/psychological stimulants that make you want it (like Smoking), but the fact is, Alcoholism isn't a disease.

Alcohol has destroyed many a band, it's no shock that it's put Leatherwolf on the inactive roster. Hopefully Geoff will get help for his problems. In the 80s, the man was one hell of a singer.

No, Alcoholism is NOT a disease, it's an addiction. You choose to put Alcohol into your body. Cancer is a disease.

I'm fully aware of the body's neurological dependence upon alcohol and social/psychological stimulants that make you want it (like Smoking), but the fact is, Alcoholism isn't a disease.

I agree 100% with this.

And I second it. Smoking and drinking (alcohol) are legal addictions opposed to pot, heroin, cocaine, crack, LSD, etc., but not less addictive or dangerous than the illegal ones IMO.

You are absolutely right. I was not giving him an excuse. I was simply saying that there should have been a little more compassion by his former band's message they sent to fans and by some others. Geoff obviously has a problem. That doesn't absolve him from any blame. He gets paid to play music and he wasn't able to do that. People paid good money for those tickets I am sure.
Geoff has the ability to decide to drink or not to drink. He can also choose what time to start drinking. What he doesn't have is a choice of how much he drinks once he starts. Once a little alcohol gets to the brain, there is a short circuit there.... and he will stop when he runs out of alcohol or passes out.

Bryant

No worries here Bryant, i been around loved ones family & friends with those problems too, i'm aware believe me, it's just that you're performing on a huge stage for a very demanding crowd, like i always tell my drummer after we play you can do your thing, i'll even carry you home, but wait till our set ends!!

The American Medical Association (AMA) defines alcoholism as an illness or disease. Cancer Web's medical dictionary defines alcoholism as a disorder characterized by a pathological pattern of alcohol use that causes a serious impairment in social or occupational functioning. A disease is medically defined as an alteration of the state of the body or some of its organs, interrupting or disturbing the performance of vital functions, and causing or threatening pain or weakness. The important thing to note is that alcoholism is not a lifestyle choice. It is a disease, an actual impairment of the body's health that prevents the person from functioning normally and causes not only pain to the alcoholic but also to family and friends.

Bryant

Alcohol has destroyed many a band, it's no shock that it's put Leatherwolf on the inactive roster. Hopefully Geoff will get help for his problems. In the 80s, the man was one hell of a singer.

Alcoholism is defined modernly as a disease but the route to true alcoholism (as defined my AMA or WHO) begins with an addiction. An addiction is a lifestyle choice like you well put it, once you have cross the point of no return then you may be defined as an illness.

Now returning to the band it is sad that Geoff find himself out of business because he couldn't control a variable in his life, same as the problems with Michael Shenker or this guy in 3" that attacked Nigel Glocker, or remember when Quiet Riot ditched Kevin du Brow because he was badmouthing everyone in metal? Whatever is alcohol, drugs or temper if you can't handle it, you're in a world of trouble.

The American Medical Association (AMA) defines alcoholism as an illness or disease. Cancer Web's medical dictionary defines alcoholism as a disorder characterized by a pathological pattern of alcohol use that causes a serious impairment in social or occupational functioning. A disease is medically defined as an alteration of the state of the body or some of its organs, interrupting or disturbing the performance of vital functions, and causing or threatening pain or weakness.

By the AMA definition, drinking a bottle of Draino is a disease too, because it impairs your body that would otherwise function normally. I understand that your definition of disease seems to fit alcoholism or any other disorder on the planet, but it's just not so. Alcoholism or any other substance abuse is a DISORDER, which is psychological.

If you STOP DRINKING you can't get drunk and ruin lives. People with cancer or AIDS can't STOP having cancer or AIDS at their own will. Simple as that.

I'll let Penn and Teller provide you with the rest of the information:

Last edited by a moderator:
i like Leatherwolf's music as well

i think the "stab" at Michael Schenker in the band's statement was unwarrented.

It is unfortunate about Geoff Gayer's behavior due to alcohol.

i read in Record Collecter November issue(Brit mag) about a performance in London wiith MSG and Scorpions and Michael Schenker was a veritable "mess" on stage....

anyway, i have not heard the Leatherwolf "World Asylum" album;but Leatherwolf is featured as one of the performances on the Bang Your Head Festival DVD

I think i will check it out despite the experiences you guys have had at their shows etc.

Hi,
First of all, we would like to apologize to the Rock House crew in Pescara, all the fans that were looking forward to seeing us live.Mr.Gayer's alcohol-induced stupor and will go down as the most embarrassing performance in the long history of LEATHERWOLF.
===============================================================
swansi

To know more about alcholaddiction

Alabama Alcohol Addiction Treatment