George Carlin

Jul 31, 2006
IB: What do you hope people take away from your comedy?

GC: I don't hope for improvement in this country. I hope for a disintegration. I really enjoy these things that happen, these big tragedies, because I think this country's circling the drain now, as it is. And this kind of culture, this pursuit of goods and merchandise at all costs, is soul-deadening. The species in general I don't root for, and this culture in particular I don't root for. So anything bad that happens, I enjoy. I think Americans deserve what they get, I think they get what they deserve, and so therefore, I don't care what they take from my stuff. For the listener who's enjoying my stuff, I would hope that they just take everything they're told by authority figures less seriously -- not believe what their parents say, what their teachers say, not believe clergymen, law enforcement people, legislators, business leaders. Because they're being bullshitted at every corner.

:worship: :worship: :worship:

Let's discuss

IB: What do you hope people take away from your comedy?

GC: I don't hope for improvement in this country. I hope for a disintegration. I really enjoy these things that happen, these big tragedies, because I think this country's circling the drain now, as it is. And this kind of culture, this pursuit of goods and merchandise at all costs, is soul-deadening. The species in general I don't root for, and this culture in particular I don't root for. So anything bad that happens, I enjoy. I think Americans deserve what they get, I think they get what they deserve, and so therefore, I don't care what they take from my stuff. For the listener who's enjoying my stuff, I would hope that they just take everything they're told by authority figures less seriously -- not believe what their parents say, what their teachers say, not believe clergymen, law enforcement people, legislators, business leaders. Because they're being bullshitted at every corner.

:worship: :worship: :worship:

Let's discuss

Disintegration makes sense. The whole thing is rotten. It should be destroyed and something entirely different should arise

What else can I say except "he's right"?

Actually it sounds like a condensed version of the first chapter of The Lightning and The Sun by Savitri Devi.

so is anyone familiar with carlin's comedic material? that's just a quote from an interview that I thought might spark people to talk about carlin's comedy. I think the comedic medium may have potential to reach out to people and inspire, considering the fact people don't tend to read much anymore. But then again, a lot of modern political comedy is sort of like a pressure valve that is released every once in a while to keep people in line. but i think carlin is too radical to be categorized in such a way. anyway, if anyone is interested here are some links to his latest performances in the past 7 years. i think he has gotten better with age.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7068677712290004125

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8683046848311681223

George is ausome, he doesn't care who he pisses off. His ability to take everyday occurances, and exploit them is nothing less that genious. I remember sneaking down in my parent's basement as a child and listining to his LP's. You gotta love em.

Rob