George Orwell's 1984 as an analogy for Christianity

I agree with u on that one. Some athiests just enjoy bedating it, but when others start trying to change force their views on others then its just as bad as ne religion that does the same.
Surely some religions see converting people as helping to "relieve some of the self-imposed suffering that people endure as a result of the rhetorical scary crap they were force-fed since birth" or something very similar?
What ur basically saying there Lina is that all religous peole are less intelligent. Which is clearly untrue, they may be weaker as in they need explanations for things that we can't explain, in a similar way to how science provides rthem, but thast deosn't make them less intelligent.
I don't believe that truth is subjective, as that would negate the meaning of the word

Hey Lina, great questions! :)

Originally posted by Lina
Ok, Satori, you know my feelings on religion -- that religion and the idea of god is so laughable and impossible that it's really just a litmus test for people's intelligence. So we're basically on the same side.

I'm not sure if we are on the same side in all ways. My stance isn't one of sharply defined logic but kinda foggy and allowing for multiple interpretations of the same idea to be (ultmately) equally valid. To use an analogy from physics: is it a particle? ..or is it a wave. Yes.

I'm anti-religion not only because I think (in my admittedly speculative and inherently biased/flawed interpretation) that it's so obviously just a political tool to structure hierarchial societies, but also cuz it causes much untold psychological suffering. As you probably suspect I have a whole set of ideas on how/why it causes suffering but I won't get into this now.. so suffice to say I have adopted the stance that it does (which is just my opinion and nothing more).

But you keep saying quotes like the one above that really contradict what you seem to otherwise mean. athiests by and large DON'T believe that truth and reality are subjective.

Before we get lost in the dualistic and discrimitive nature of the english language itself I'd like to point out a few things to clairfy some definitions and preconceptions.

I'm not at all concerned that my point of view that 'reality is subjective' is self-defeating and I actually think this is the coolest thing about it cuz it takes the emphasis off people going about talking about "truth" as if it were something external/attainable (which I obviously feel it is not). I feel we can babble about our interpretations till the cows come home but once the discussion goes from interpretation to notions of "truth" (above and beyond interpretation) then for me the conversation completely loses ground because the flexibility for multiple and contradictory ideas to exist simultaneously (ie. particle/wave) is lost. Then the individuals aren't discussing why their particular 'interpretation' is more grounded/logical, they are suggesting that their interpretion is the only correct one and I find that just too ridiculous for comment.

This notion of truth above interpretation is (I think) the real weak point of the religion and the thing which causes the most problems in individuals and societies. When you have people attempting to adhere themselves to someone else's version of reality, it's rarely a good thing (imo, from my experiences with myself and others).

If truth is subjective, then there is no argument against the (supposed) logic of religion -- basically what everyone wants to believe is fact as long as they believe it.

Exactly. If they believe it is fact then it becomes fact (but only to THEM - an idea which eludes them of course as they feel reality is objective/external). It goes deeper than that, there is no "fact" at all, only interpretation. We can provide our speculations about events that have occured, but we must be (I think) careful not lose sight that they are just interpretations which are neither right or wrong, they simply are.

This kind of thinking is what athiests despise (at least this athiest). athiests seem to have characteristics that match "left-brain" personalities -- very fact-driven, believe there is an absolute truth for nearly everything.

I agree, I've noted most athiests think this way, I guess this is one way in which I am quite different. I prefer the term existentialist when describing myself, but I don't limit myself to just that and I don't feel the two definitions contradict each other so much as compliment one another. I also described myself as a spiritual atheist, which is a bit of a pardox as well. Reality is dualistic in nature and so are we. What it comes down to is how you interpret the dualism. While you would probably feel that dualism denotes mutual exclusion I feel that it indicates a co-dependence with each extreme entirely dependent on it's opposite for it's own definition (relativity). So instead of 2 things (ie. atheism/existentialism) being forever opposed, I feel they are like 2 sides of the same coin (like up/down, black/white, good/evil, etc).

So to the question: what is true? the sharply defined "truth" of atheism or the fuzzy and self-defeating "interpretation is everything" of existentialism? I'll answer this question with another question: particle or wave? It depends on who you are and how you look.

By saying that truth is subjective, you're shooting yourself in the foot -- the obvious rebuttal is, then why do you think you're right?

hehe, I don't think that:) I fully understand that my opinions on things are just opinions. I can try to explain why I feel my opinions are more logical or more beneficial but when it comes right down to it it's all just speculative bullshit like everything ultimately is. But before you think I am saying everything is bullshit, keep in mind that this is also bullshit, and also a self-defeating statement. It is and it isn't (kinda like the fabric and existence of the universe itself).

I feel we should never lose sight of the idea that all we have are our subjective opinions, which I feel the need to point out when someone suggests their particular interpretation is the only truthful/factual one (like "defenders of Truth" seem to love to do, muhahah).

I'm an athiest because facts, proof, and logic back me up, not just because it's what i WANT to believe.

If you are seeking facts and proof to back you up it seems to me like you are thinking that reality is something external which you can objectively examine and adhere yourself to (which is, imo, the folly of religion, it's just that religion just goes way way further out on a limb with unlikely assertions). I don't think like that however, it doesn't make either of us right or wrong, we just view things differently and that's cool. I feel that it is quite impossible to be truly objective about anything because we are all so incredibly biased. We humans tend to chop and divide reality into mutually exclusive counterparts. I feel that before their were organisms to interpret the dualism (just like colour or sound or whatever), it simply didn't exist, things simply "were".

So at the core it comes down to this: Do we see reality or do we see only our interpretations of reality? I feel the latter, and to then interpret our 'interpretation' as truth/real is to me simply placing too much faith in one's own *opinion*.

I fully realize this sort of meta-philosophy is self-defeating, which I think is the real difference between it and all other ways of thinking. I take no credit for these ideas, they aren't my own, I just happen to think they are pretty cool and fit me well. The ideas here also have much in common with modern quantum physics as well, which is (imo only) more than just a strange coincidence. cheers,

Satori

PS: This statement is false. hheheh

Originally posted by godisanathiest
Surely some religions see converting people as helping to "relieve some of the self-imposed suffering that people endure as a result of the rhetorical scary crap they were force-fed since birth" or something very similar?

I totally agree. Atheists try to help religious people the same way religious people try to help atheists. I like the atheist version much better however cuz they don't use guilt/fear and are looking more to liberate than recruit (imo). There is no advantage to converting someone into an athiest, but converting someone into a religion enables that person to be told all kinds of shit from how to behave to what to do with their lives to how they should express their sexuality (etc). In short, atheism isn't a very good political tool but religion is the best one ever divised (and I would argue the most harmful).

What ur basically saying there Lina is that all religous peole are less intelligent. Which is clearly untrue, they may be weaker as in they need explanations for things that we can't explain, in a similar way to how science provides rthem, but thast deosn't make them less intelligent.

That depends entirely on your definition of intelligence. Both your points of view are equally valid.

I don't believe that truth is subjective, as that would negate the meaning of the word

Your belief in the objectivity of truth is also subjective.

I don't think that there is no "truth" so literally, I think that humans are totally incapable of being objective enough to grasp it. To do that we'd have to be able to view something from all angles at the same time and that is quite impossible. cheers,

Satori

I preffer 2 think that I only voice my opinions when people force their religous views on me, I don't actively try.
Atheists can't use guilt and fear, yeah, but they can use an imagniary superiority, which I find many people atheists, and religous have. And surely relgious people also see converting as "liberating". By your reasoning, wouldn't converting people save them from being told" all kinds of shit" and therefore be a good thing?
Yes, but if you look at it that way everyhting is subjective so why bother arguing overthis? Actually, y are we bothering? I agree that no1 can be totally objective as we all have some kind of a viewpoint.
I should really put qoutes in that 2 show what I'm reffering 2, but if u read thru ur post it should b clear I hope :)

Originally posted by godisanathiest
I preffer 2 think that I only voice my opinions when people force their religous views on me, I don't actively try.
Atheists can't use guilt and fear, yeah, but they can use an imagniary superiority, which I find many people atheists, and religous have. And surely relgious people also see converting as "liberating". By your reasoning, wouldn't converting people save them from being told" all kinds of shit" and therefore be a good thing?
Yes, but if you look at it that way everyhting is subjective so why bother arguing overthis? Actually, y are we bothering? I agree that no1 can be totally objective as we all have some kind of a viewpoint.
I should really put qoutes in that 2 show what I'm reffering 2, but if u read thru ur post it should b clear I hope :)

yea man, I agree totally. The religious people and the atheists both want to save each other for personal reasons. I used to think that anyone would benefit from being freed of religious rhetoric but I'm sure not everyone would. Indeed, some people are so completely sucked in by it that any suggestion that it's not literally true makes them suffer out of guilt from their own doubts. That's one of the things that horrifies me about religion the most, that whole 'you must force yourself to believe that which you just can't seem to swallow' nonsense. I think perhaps the emphasis of religion should be on peace and harmony rather than the self-suppression of logic with mythology. I mean, who cares what anyone believes, and why does it matter so long as they are a good person? Isn't that what's really important? Well, for a political tool like religion it does matter how people think and what they believe for the same reasons that public opinion matters about any political/social figurehead in our modern society.

I think religions would do much better to get out of the business of pushing faith in the illogical (cuz it's just such a waste of time and energy) and act exclusively as a guide for people to live in harmony and love each other (which is what we actually need to improve our lives). There are many people who could benefit from an organized humanistic "religion" of sorts but who can't be a part of the group because they simply can't force themselves to swallow the abundant mythological rhetoric or pretend as if they do (like many many average religious people do just to fit in and be accepted).

That whole concept of "you can't belong to my group or marry me or anyone in my family cuz you don't believe in my god" just makes me ill. I have a friend who's family are insanely religious (and he pretends to be for their benefit) and he wants to marry a girl who isn't a member of their faith. If he does, his mom will pretty disown him, if he doesn't, he loses the girl of his dreams. It's unfortunate that he must choose between the 2 most important women in his life, but his mom is so utterly and completely brainwashed by her own faith that she just can't let go of her prejudice against anyone but her own little societal group. How sad is that? She's not evil, she's just brainwashed into thinking her son will burn in hell for marrying a girl tainted with sin, she'll drag him down or whatever. This is just one example of how religion can create and be used to justify deep personal prejudices and harm individuals and society, which is exactly why it's such a great political tool for getting people to basically do whatever the hell they want (religion's political purpose and why it was created and used by mostly every society since man walked upright and discovered fire). Had my friend's mom not been brainwashed in this way, she wouldn't be so afraid of irrational things like her son burning in hell (I mean give me a fucking break already, isn't life hard enough already without this burden? geesh, so you can see how he'd like to liberate her from this burden/fear). Therefore, if his mom became an atheist, she hopefully would see that people are just people and she could welcome his girlfriend with open arms and accept her for who she is instead of who she wants her to be.

For my friend, religion is the thing which is literally tearing his life apart right now. He can't help the fact that he is atheist, he really tried to believe it but then, like me, he turned 12, woke up, and never looked back. Very sad. But then, people are still killing each other in wars over "my god is better than your god and my god said you are evil and deserve to die" so in that respect my friend's issue isn't really so bad, at least they aren't killing each other because of their "faith". Even so, the turmoil that his mom's irrational fears is causing everyone is not exactly easy to accept either. It's just like no matter how many times you tell a child there's no monster under their bed they will still be afraid and not let their feet hang over the edge. The difference is that in this case the child is 56 years old and the monster is satan. It's a real shame that conversion to atheism isn't an option in this case cuz it would relieve all the fear, tension, and prejudice that his mom's religion has made mandatory for her to hang on to till her dying breath. Very sad.

I thought the point of discussing this was to just have fun and get each other excited, hehe. I know the idea that everyone is ultimately full of subjective shit kinda takes the wind out of the sails, but I tend to look at it as kinda liberating cuz then we can all say whatever the hell we want without this stigma of being absolutely right or wrong so I think it helps makes things more insane and whacky and less personal, which is something that makes any discussion more interesting, muahwhah :)

Satori

Originally posted by Xtokalon

Sillouette, you may be operating by false dichotomies. just because one defends something doesn't mean he's in any way a part of that which he defends. I am an "atheist" for a vast set of reasons all of which seem trite to me by now so I won't mention these reasons here. Think of your reasons for being an atheist and you'll have a good idea of why I'm an atheist.

When I asked my question, that's all I was doing. I wasn't implying that because you defended christianity that you couldn't be an atheist. I just wanted to know why you were an atheist, not why you were defending christianity.

Originally posted by Satori
...it takes the emphasis off people going about talking about "truth" as if it were something external/attainable (which I obviously feel it is not). I feel we can babble about our interpretations till the cows come home but once the discussion goes from interpretation to notions of "truth" (above and beyond interpretation) then for me the conversation completely loses ground

Right on! Your reference to "two sides of a same coin (ie. atheism/existentialism)" reminded me of my visualization of "truth", the Truth being in the dead center of a sphere and everyone referring to it is situated on the surface of the sphere, seeing only their interpretation of it. Some people can go below the surface, ie. closer to the core and see a bigger part of the truth (and hence are able to differentiate two or more different interpretations of it).

I like to visualize things, pretty much everything. "One picture is worth a thousand words" and all that.. holds true for me.

PS. It's a particle