Music as an environment vs music as melody

MetalManCPA said:
What is a "kind" of music? Music, as an artform, can take on many faces, yet it's still one distinct thing - music.

well, i knew the comment was a bit iffy, which is why i did put it in quotations. What i mean though, is there are two distinct ways of looking at music, and it comes down to perspective moreso than what is actually "fact", but it's hard not put the two ways of hearing things into two distinctly seperate categories because they are unrelated for the most part. Using the radio example from before again, it could be you are listening to the "tune", or you could be listening for the "place". It could be Jeff Buckley's Hallelujah, or it could be a radio over there playing Jeff Buckley's Hallelujah; one way you are focussing on the tune ("good" listening according to our trolling friend), and the other you are focussing on your position relative to an artificial object (ie the "radio" 5 feet to your left which happens to be playing Jeff Buckley's Hallelujah. This is known as "bad" listening, according to our troll). Of course you could be doing both at once, which is most likely, but still the two "ways" of listening are very different from one another, and there is no "in between". it can't be half one and half the other. At least i don't see it that way. That's what i meant by there being two "kinds".

ok, im game here.

first of all, i respect your intelligent post and give you props for creating a thread which isnt a fucking poll or agalloch/forest metal inquiry thread.

but on topic...im supposed to assume that you have achieved a level of musical comprehension to the extent you claim because you put some tall surround speakers on some rubber storage bins? i think anyone with the right mindset (along with the right music) can achieve a more psychological understanding and appreciation of music without having to show off their 5'x8' dorm room adorned with speakers. however, im not saying you havent experienced this yourself...but i cant help but perhaps notice the motive of the thread being the token picture drop and showing off of the equipment you have. either way...id be happy to recommend some music for this type of experience if anyones interested. but yes...i think to completely appreciate music on a psychological level and as an audiophile, one needs to have such a multidimensional experience at some point to achieve that certain level of appreciation...without being just an instant gratification person with an ear for complexity. if that makes sense.

Ok, why did you just trash the OP's topic? What, are you Comic book collecting fat guy now, only re-incarnated as a music lover? You sound offended and jealous that someone made this topic BEFORE you did.
Multidimensional musical experiences and wandering via 3D sonic landscapes have existed since before...before it all. Its the essence of the unknown.