Getting a heavy "deep" rhythm guitar sound

Ericlingus

Prettiest Hair Around
Oct 31, 2006
a client wants me to get a really heavy and deep sounding rhythm guitar sound on some slower tempo doom/goth songs that have held out chords and stuff that isn't very riffy. He is in either standard or drop d tuning. He only wanted to double track as well. What suggestions would you give. Type o negative is a band he likes the guitar sound of. He also doesn't want a heavy distorted bass sound on some songs as well which kinda makes it difficult since type o negative's bass sound also plays a big role in how the guitars sound.

They key to a great guitar sound is the bass. And as you said it's slow doom so it shouldn't be a problem doing a big open mix. It doesn't have to be that distorted either, maybe just a little to get some more "twang" out of it.

necrobump. Anyone have tips for getting a really scooped distorted sound like in Type O Negative. He now have an ADA MP1 with a tubeworks poweramp and I have a genz benz g flex 2x12 cab. A sound similar to Bloody Kisses or October Rust. I notice Type O's guitar player using chorus and reverb as well. I think pretty much all the time even on the rhythm parts. In addition to the gear I mentioned I also have a alesis MIDI verb, a Boss ge-7 graphic eq pedal and a metalzone pedal. Again not looking for a modern sounding tone like Arch Enemy or something. More early 90's doom metal. Very scooped and saturated. Definitely not a twangy sound or organic sounding. Something really atmospheric actually.

Kenny's early rig (Before World Coming Down) consisted of an ADA MP-1 preamp with an Alesis Quadraverb running into a Mosvalve 500 power amp, which was run into one or more Marshall 4x12s.

Definitely uses a chorus effect, not sure which specific unit, though. Pretty sure the MP-1 drove his unique tone for most of the early years.

well I can try the MIDIverb or ADA chorus. I did try the ADA MP-1 chorus already and it definitely makes it sound more Type 0. I'm just not sure about what mics or placement to use. I tried the 57 in the center of the cap and also the edge of the cap about a 1/2 inch from the grill cloth and it's too much of an "in your face" tone. I think I'll try it further from the cap and maybe a few inches away from the grill cloth.

It's definitely worth pointing out that Peter's bass tone really was a huge part of their sound as well. He used a chorus effect as well and on October Rust his bass sound is really up-front in the mix.

Not to derail the thread, but I remember hearing some of Bloody Kisses like 20 years ago and nothing else. I just listened to most of October Rust right now and I must say that this is an awesome album.

Listened to Type O yesterday again because of this thread, that was one strange, but great band :D

Anyways, don't go for the typical modern guitar sound, an unboosted Mesa Dual Recto that is quite scooped + some chorus and reverb will get you quite far.
Pete's bass never seems to be extremly distorted, but the two things together in combination with the synths will get you some interesting sounds.

I'm increasingly thinking that the whole tiny, middy guitar tone isn't really always the best option. Tons of my favourite releases the last few years just have ballsy guitar tone and fit the bass around it.