The best plugins and VST's for a really heavy sound?

So the OP has money for:
Logic 9
Amplitube 3
Superior 2.0

and has the budget to consider:

EZ Mix
Ozone 4

But has no money to work with an experienced engineer? :err: Gotta love them cracked plugins.

As has been said. Plugins are not necessarily the answer here. Hell, just focusing on the guitars here is a huge mistake in itself. The way the bass, drums and guitar all work TOGETHER is how you get those heavy tones.

You've gotta understand man that it's incredibly frustrating when you come here asking for help but can't give us any info. What guitar you're using? What pickups? What interface? Are you using fresh strings? What amps and mic's do you have?

There's SO much that goes into getting a great guitar tone, it's not easy, infact it's one of the single most difficult tasks in audio engineering.

Do some reading, try stuff out and see what works for you. This is not simple as "Hai guyz how do geetar tonez?" and getting a quick answer. It's going to take lots and lots of reading, practice, money, frustration and TIME. And I'm talking about years by the way.

All the above is why it's a better idea to work with an engineer who knows what he's doing. Use your home studio to work on demo's and get your songs down in rough form. Use it to practice your ass off recording cleanly and tightly to a click. Do it again and again until everything is super tight. Then find a good engineer and studio, throw down your super tight guitar playing in next to no time at all, and leave the engineer to do the technical stuff and make your shit sound awesome!

BZMCHHH!!!!

Practice, practice, and then read through the wealth of knowledge on this forum and then practice some more... A plug-in isn't going to get you where you need to go, the truth of the matter is people post up songs to be mixed and while everyone has the same starting point, it's definitely clear that the results are not on an even playing field. I can use the same exact free plug-ins as some people on here that have amazing results and I end up with stuff so shitty I have no other choice but to close the session and try again the next day. Once you've put at least a tiny bit of effort in, then ask questions.

/2cents.

oh c'MON dude! :lol:

how can you not see how funny that is with you posting how funny it isn't ... with the SAME PIC!

It needs ....

ezezel0l75.jpg

to be funny

Icee - I've been on this forum for a good while now, over a year all up if you include my early lurking days, but I've only made a handful of posts as I've been busy reading. If you want heavy mixes this is THE place to learn from and these are THE people to learn it from. Read, read, read, put up with the comments you've gotten and read some more.

Oh and use this - it's the search function for this forum and it is super important you learn to use it. It will save you a lot of hassles with other members and you'll your question has probably already been answered, particularly if you're a beginner.

Search for a post called "Noobz come here" or something like that and you will have more than enough info to get started on getting a decent heavy guitar tone. There are also some youtube vids by Goddamn Guitar about recording guitar and bass that are a must-watch for you.

Thank you, I will check it out. After reading my own posts I've asked myself: What the fuck did I smoke?

I really underestimated mixing, which is a shame and I am willing to learn the basics and maybe even more then that. Isn't being awkward the task of a n00b?

Anyways my friend is doing an education for "Componist" and learns how to produce too, he just started though but his stuff is more for the mainstream instead of metal. We are not looking for a totally perfect recording, we just want it to be listen-able and give the right feeling of the song. The first thing we started to do was create a new sound on Amplitube 3, tweak it. We're going to try a commenly used chain to try to get a nice sound out of the amp sims. If that won't work, we will do it with the normal amp, I gotta read more about reamping though.

I might talk bullshit but yea, hehe, I will learn. ;)

Gracias

As a noob myself, I'd say get the basics down first. I'd also like to emphasize

1. Good guitar
2. Good player
3. Good DI's (no clipping etc, good level)
4. Dualtrack (or quadtrack, you'll probably need to edit the DI's tighter, learn slip editing or something. Or if the player is very tight, just record enough takes so you get something _very_ tight.)
5. Ok bass sound
6. Ok drum sound

The latest thing I recorded I used a SoloC preamp (all settings at noon) as a booster, then a LeCto (search the forums for the beta), 2 tracks (hard L&R) modern, 2 tracks (same pan) vintage channel. Those go into a LeCab with some of the impulses you can find on these forums. Then high/lowpass, try some EQ if you know what you're doing - I really don't.

It's also important to realise the guitar tones won't sound very "metal" and "brutal" without bass. And they're not supposed to. If you try to get bassy-as-hell guitar tones, you'll just mess your mix up. The bass will do a better job at the low end anyway.

Oh, and I've had better luck with free amp sims (Nick Crow's 8505, TSE X30, Lepou stuff, SoloC) than with amplitube.

As a noob myself, I'd say get the basics down first. I'd also like to emphasize

1. Good guitar
2. Good player
3. Good DI's (no clipping etc, good level)
4. Dualtrack (or quadtrack, you'll probably need to edit the DI's tighter, learn slip editing or something. Or if the player is very tight, just record enough takes so you get something _very_ tight.)
5. Ok bass sound
6. Ok drum sound

The latest thing I recorded I used a SoloC preamp (all settings at noon) as a booster, then a LeCto (search the forums for the beta), 2 tracks (hard L&R) modern, 2 tracks (same pan) vintage channel. Those go into a LeCab with some of the impulses you can find on these forums. Then high/lowpass, try some EQ if you know what you're doing - I really don't.

It's also important to realise the guitar tones won't sound very "metal" and "brutal" without bass. And they're not supposed to. If you try to get bassy-as-hell guitar tones, you'll just mess your mix up. The bass will do a better job at the low end anyway.

Oh, and I've had better luck with free amp sims (Nick Crow's 8505, TSE X30, Lepou stuff, SoloC) than with amplitube.

Alright thanks for your reply. Sadly we're on Mac so Nick Crow's 8505 and the LePou stuff we can't use, unless we record on Windows first and then mix all the stuff on Mac, right? Also, what is exactly a DI? I read it's the raw signal of the guitar, I also read that we can make DI's by using software, this is correct right? We downloaded LA Convover (impulse loader) and the GuitarHack impulses using it with Amplitube 3, this is a good start right? We'll be experimenting and tweaking it this week when we both have time. :)

mustering up every ounce of compassion in my soul to provide help and not torment right now, but...

OP: perhaps you should consider hiring some forum members to re-amp for you. it's cheaper/easier than you think, and then you can falsely parade around your mediocre recordings with exceptional guitar sounds. accept that "plugins" aren't ever going to sound as good as the greatest heavy tones you've ever heard.

Alright thanks for your reply. Sadly we're on Mac so Nick Crow's 8505 and the LePou stuff we can't use, unless we record on Windows first and then mix all the stuff on Mac, right? Also, what is exactly a DI? I read it's the raw signal of the guitar, I also read that we can make DI's by using software, this is correct right? We downloaded LA Convover (impulse loader) and the GuitarHack impulses using it with Amplitube 3, this is a good start right? We'll be experimenting and tweaking it this week when we both have time. :)

No offence...
Just accept that you are gonna have crappy demo recordings. Save up some money and record with a pro. You are pissing on us guys that have been doing this for years simplifying a profession that takes years and years to learn. So just shut up for a second, lurk around and read all useful information that is on this forum!!!

No offence...
Just accept that you are gonna have crappy demo recordings. Save up some money and record with a pro. You are pissing on us guys that have been doing this for years simplifying a profession that takes years and years to learn. So just shut up for a second, lurk around and read all useful information that is on this forum!!!

No offence but I'm not pissing on anyone here. I'm not asking for perfect recordings either. We're just trying to get a nice guitar tone, which is harder then it seems, yes...I understand now.

I will read all the useful information now.

Oh right, Mac, completely forgot. Well, from what I've heard it's rather hard to get good tones for metal with Amplitube, but at least disable the cab emulation in it and use impulses instead.

Oh, and yes, definitely read those threads.

I leave the forums for one day for a Metal Festival and this happens? Jesus titty fucking christ on a stick!

No offence but I'm not pissing on anyone here. I'm not asking for perfect recordings either. We're just trying to get a nice guitar tone, which is harder then it seems, yes...I understand now.

I will read all the useful information now.

even nice guitar tone won't happen overnight. For me to even get listenable guitar tone, took five years, I repeat since you tend to ignore things told to you once, FIVE YEARS before I even got a listenable tone and that was from researching and constantly trying new things out, forking a shit ton of money into my studio, looking shit up on google and lurking around the forums, I did this day and night for five years before I had something I could actually listen to, and it was another 2 years before I had a solid real amp and cabinet, before I had a tone that was polished enough to go onto an album, my band's first album, which I am in the process of recording right now this month.

Thats the problem with this new generation, demanding instant quality results with little to no work, downloading cracked plugins as if they have a right to them, as if they were entitled to everything they want, no, having the knowledge to produce good music is a privilege that takes years of blood sweat and tears. In order to get anywhere in life, you have to work your ass off, and anything that is of high quality, takes many MANY years to perfect, so at most you have a couple days, well you have a shit ton more years to go before you will pick up a half decent guitar tone.

Take advice when it is given to you, from here and other forums. If you have a question, look for stickies, GOOGLE IT FIRST, and if you can't find it on google, THEN post a thread asking, and think long and hard about what you want to say and have some class and intelligence to your posts.

So unless you are going to a professional recording studio, then sit down, shut the fuck up and listen because you aren't producing releasable material for a very long time.

Forgot to mention one thing. Don't buy The Metal Foundry, ever. It is one of the shittest drum sample libraries I have ever witnessed. I was doing better drum recordings in my second year of engineering. I would literally rather keep drums raw than use those pieces of shit again. Total disgrace after the legendary Avatar library.

+9999

The Avatar Kit is the only kit I work with now. The Metal Foundry Expansion was extremely CPU hungry and trashy sounding. Total waste of money...