The best plugins and VST's for a really heavy sound?

I have no problem understanding that you don't like TMF, and that's cool, its just giving opinion as if it were a fact. There are a lot of guys who have gotten amazing results with TMF, me included, don't believe me, I have an albums coming out that has purely MF samples on it and so far for the raw tracks/preproduction setup, it sounds phenominal.

Fantastic. Feel free to post examples in this thread, as I have been the whole way through.

Icee

hit me up if you need Amplitube 3 help specifically. just toss me a PM.
I also run a mac. so if you have any mac specific questions, toss me a message as well.
it always helps to have a couple of people who can give you some one on one advice on things.
that's always better than a bunch of random responses on a forum. especially if you don't understand your craft much.

as for everything else, there's no sure answer to some of your questions.
it's going to take you a LOT of time and research to get your productions to sound the way you want
and even more practice.

My suggestions to you if you really want to learn:

- start with reading a book like: "The Everything Home Recording Book" by Marc Schonbrun. get very in tune with the basics of recording & mixing.

- after you have a basic understanding, try recording a song again. spend a couple days thinking about what you've learned from the book and how to apply the knowledge to get the sound you want to achieve.

- after you've done this, it's time to dig deeper. BUY a book like "Mixing Audio" by Roey Izhaki. this is a MUCH heavier read and digs MUCH MUCH deeper into mixing. while you're reading this book, instead of recording, spend time listening to your favourite artists as well as the producers you're working to get a sound like. as you read more of this book, you'll start to hear things. stuff you've never noticed about recording before. take your time reading the book. there's LOTS of info in it and if you read it too fast without taking breaks, you won't take in all the knowledge.

- Spend more time listening to bands that you're trying get a sound like. try to notice all the little things as well as the bigger picture. it's the little parts that make the bigger picture.

- Spend every day on google searching for techniques and tips.

- Spend every day reading threads on this forum. soak up as much info as you can. ALWAYS search for a solution before you ask a question on this forum. I'm saying this because everyone on here is unforgiving when it comes to what they call a "noob question". A "noob question" is a question asked without any background on the subject matter. it's usually easily spotted.

- Don't take offense to harsh judgements on this forum. we all say things to help each other get better. not to down each other. take every bit of feedback into consideration. and if you disagree in the end, that's YOUR opinion and the how valid it is depends on how well the general public likes your mix. NOT us. We're snobby. haha. so don't let us get to you.

- We're all hard on our artists to track better takes. and we're also hard on ourselves to mix better. we're hard on each other to help each other. be the same way.

- THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT ADVICE: practice. think you're good? practice some more. this is an art that is never completely mastered. 2 years from now, you'll kick yourself for something you used to do. and in 3 years, your methods may be completely different.

this whole list can take you anywhere from 2 months to 2 years to accomplish. it just all depends on how fast you learn and how much you practice.
DON'T LET THIS DISCOURAGE YOU!
or the people who may give you a hard time on this forum.

motivation is key. and without it, you'll never come out on top.

good luck!

also. if you're looking to have people on this forum take you a bit more seriously,
post some of your work. let the guys here give you some advice and direction. they'll probably be harsh and make you feel like a piece of crap. but it's okay. one thing I've learned from this forum is that most here are harsh teachers. but good teachers.
also contribute to the threads that pop up if you think you have a valid response or a specific question. you'll learn more.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/285689/Music/Eye of the Enemy - Peace.mp3 << Slate and Avatar all over that. If it doesn't qualify as 'fast' then I'm not quite sure what does.

I'm talking irrespective of genre, speed, application, whatever. I'm saying TMF sounds like arse - just deal with it and move on. Telling me I'm using it wrong is presumptuous and off-base. If I ever dedicate my life to doing $20 song-a-piece demos for bands, TMF will be just the ticket to let me set sail on that sea of mediocrity.

And the point still stands that TMF is a terrible choice for this particular thread starter to invest in. He's obviously looking for quick fixes. You get many people here who can't even apply the Avatar and Slate libraries correctly, could you imagine one of them trying to deal with not only raw drums, but horribly tuned raw drums to boot?
So, what you are saying is that TMF is completely raw? Im sure all the presets from Toontracks (such as KSE, LOG, Dev Kit, Gene hooglan etc ....) is processed, which sound quite good for your bang for your buck type samples, which Im sure the OP is chasing, and you can add your own processes to them if you wish. Just went through the library again, and am struggling to hear "utter shit". I have EZD and that comes across as a tad bit "shitty", but TMF kicks much harder than that.

Your taste in music and your clients work obviously differ than that of mine, (which is cool), but naming that 2nd song fast, well ..... each to there own. Some quick double bass work here and there, but thats about it. Most stuff here is always about that melodic high screamo thing that sounds a cross between INFLAMES and LOG, or PARAMORE sounding stuff, where the snare has to be "FAT" and the kicks "POUNDING" because there is not much quickness going on in it. This is where the Slate sounding stuff comes into its own, but I have heard impressive results with TMF as well. Now for "Hate Eternal" or "Serpents Rise" type stuff, TMF is a serious bit of kit for those who dont have access to real drums, a drummer or funds to go and get some studio action. I will stand by what I said earlier, in that TMF is good for your likes and even better for my likes!

So, what you are saying is that TMF is completely raw? Im sure all the presets from Toontracks (such as KSE, LOG, Dev Kit, Gene hooglan etc ....) is processed, which sound quite good for your bang for your buck type samples, which Im sure the OP is chasing, and you can add your own processes to them if you wish. Just went through the library again, and am struggling to hear "utter shit". I have EZD and that comes across as a tad bit "shitty", but TMF kicks much harder than that.

Your taste in music and your clients work obviously differ than that of mine, (which is cool), but naming that 2nd song fast, well ..... each to there own. Some quick double bass work here and there, but thats about it. Most stuff here is always about that melodic high screamo thing that sounds a cross between INFLAMES and LOG, or PARAMORE sounding stuff, where the snare has to be "FAT" and the kicks "POUNDING" because there is not much quickness going on in it. This is where the Slate sounding stuff comes into its own, but I have heard impressive results with TMF as well. Now for "Hate Eternal" or "Serpents Rise" type stuff, TMF is a serious bit of kit for those who dont have access to real drums, a drummer or funds to go and get some studio action. I will stand by what I said earlier, in that TMF is good for your likes and even better for my likes!

For some reason he is trying to say that the quality in which the drums where recorded where mediocre, that the toms are completely out of tune and the kicks are too "woody" to be useful in ANY application. Now I can understand if he says something like, "the toms/snare/kick are tuned too low/high for my tastes", I have the same issue with both libraries on at least one drum somewhere. I personally don't like the cymbal layout in both, especially avatar, however I personally don't like the high tuned sound of TFM's snares, or I prefer the OH of TMF over Avatar, but I like Avatar's room mics over TMF's room mics. Its not that one is better than the other, I have my preferences as to which I like better for certain mixes depending on the mix. Avatar's kits are really open where TMF's kits are extremely tight and focused.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1170463/Album Scratch/11 - Unseen.mp3 Here is a scratch track of a song that I wrote where I used TMF, absolutely not mixed, however, I spent a grand total of about 5 minutes doing some eq, compression and volume matching so to get a better idea of how all the instruments sound together in a half decent mix. You will notice, the kick is clicky and the toms, well they really don't sound out of tune in the slightest. Now the greatest thing I love about TMF, is the hi hat, just listen to how smooth and clear it is. Again, merely a scratch pad, not mixed, only placed together to see how the written song would sound with everything together, the current final tracks even premixed, are sounding even better.

Thanks for the reaction. My friend who is studying "Music/Composition" asked if we could use the studio (professional) on that school and someone who could help us with recording and it was good for them, for free, so that's nice.

Anyways, we're going to write an album and find a drummer and maybe even a synth player and then record the album in like 6 months hopefully (we already got like 5 songs, we want to get like 10 songs).

What do you guys advice us to do before we go into the studio, without counting the writing of the music. Preperation is what I mean.

:)

First of all get a drummer! Its best if you have a full line up before you start practising/recoridng in a studio. Unless your gonna program the drums, in that case you wont necessarily need a full time drummer right away.

Other than that, learn your shit inside out, 110%. Neither you or the producer wanna waste time thinking which part of the song goes where, or finishing a song in the studio. Also, you dont wanna spend a full day in the studio trying to get one part down.

Practise playing to a click. Practise together. Also, even practise recording your songs just for practise. It doesnt matter too much about getting a good tone or finding the best vst for "heavy" sounds. Recording on your own will give you some idea of how songs are pieced together and what parts you need to work on

First of all get a drummer! Its best if you have a full line up before you start practising/recoridng in a studio. Unless your gonna program the drums, in that case you wont necessarily need a full time drummer right away.

Other than that, learn your shit inside out, 110%. Neither you or the producer wanna waste time thinking which part of the song goes where, or finishing a song in the studio. Also, you dont wanna spend a full day in the studio trying to get one part down.

Practise playing to a click. Practise together. Also, even practise recording your songs just for practise. It doesnt matter too much about getting a good tone or finding the best vst for "heavy" sounds. Recording on your own will give you some idea of how songs are pieced together and what parts you need to work on

Thanks! Yea we do actually want a drummer but if we can't find one we will program the drums and eventually get a drummer for live performances, we'll see. I agree, finishing a song in the studio is kinda meh, so yea, we need to get this going.

Thanks for the tips.