Getting an audiointerface FAQ

Kinda interested in how this: http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Focusrite-Saffire-Pro-24?sku=523333#new will stack up to the firebox.
The Firebox seems to have a bit more i/o but how the convertors and preamps compare, does this have the amazing focusrite ad/da n preamps i've heard about?
Lets watch.

I have a suggestion. I know this is available on the internet but i trust the guys here more than some random google search result.
Akin to what marcus has posted above, how about a comparison b/w some good interfaces in different categories (probably based on price). Like say, list all the pros and cons of all sub 300USD interfaces and also compared to each other. Or maybe the categories can be more use based, like, one category for people who just want to record DI'd guitars and are looking for a one box solution - DI+Interface , one category for the person who wants to get his kit miced up, one for a whole band recording (like those 28 track recs). Something like that.

i meant more like a collective effort of people who's opinions (or maybe ears) can be trusted who own the some interfaces or have tried some..
i did not mean to suggest that one person buy the a lot of interfaces :p

i wont lie i am a monstrous n00b when it comes to all this but for my first interface i bought a line 6 ux2
obviously not knowing any different

but iv yet to have any of the problems Metaltastic spoke of, and i find it quite handy at times,

i see it as it works almost like a pod but since its solely software based you can never stop updating it with amp models etc.

and id heard you could only go so far with a pod software wise

i don't know if im right but for its price which was 100 dollars (from ebay brand new) i couldnt really complain it only worked out about 86 pound with shipping

i think USB is being bashed too much, i've got a UX8, and i've had no problem recording all 8 ins at once, monitoring on my headphones, at 256 samples.

if given the option though, always go for firewire.

thanks,

USB 2.0 is more than capable of recording more than 4 tracks simultaneously with acceptable latency. It's actually capable of more bandwidth than firewire (480mbps vs 400). This USB device actually records 16 channels at once: http://www.tascam.com/products/us-1641.html

I've ruled out my current favorite travel interface (EMU USB 0404) for so long because I was brainwashed into thinking that USB for audio was awful. I can record at 128 samples without a problem (even 64 if there aren't too many tracks). Maybe it's because everyone is comparing firewire to USB 1.0 instead of 2.0 (I think the Line 6 stuff is USB 1.0). Now it's marketing suicide to make a pro interface with USB instead of firewire. I mainly like USB because it's not so finicky about having a certain chipset. Not all laptops have Texas Instruments firewire chipsets (definitely not mine).

480 mbps is the peak speed of USB 2.0, but it's nowhere near the average, unlike Firewire, which does hover around the 400 mark. Also, firewire is a constant stream of data, whereas information sent through any USB format (1-2.0) is split into packets, so there's a much greater potential for bottlenecking. If it works for you, awesome, but I just wanted to clarify some things :)

Yup, bottleneck city, especially with the sheer volume of data involved in simply copy/pasting files to another drive; obviously only lots of simultaneous tracks being recorded will come close to that, but still, it's a good illustrator of the inferiority of USB!

At the risk of becoming the resident Firewire vs USB 2.0 contrarian, I'm going to respond :lol:.

Firewire definitely transfers files faster than USB 2.0 (although in my experience it has been about twice as fast, not 8 times faster). Having run a videography business, I've had to transfer 50 gigs of information multiple times per wedding using both USB and Firewire.

But I don't use my audio interface to transfer DV footage or even copy a single file. I use it to record audio at low latencies with ASIO drivers. I just never saw the tremendous advantage that Firewire devices gave in the $200 - $300 range audio interfaces (this is the range I've mostly used). People conjure up images of USB 2.0 causing bottlenecks, eating CPU cycles like pacman, and your guitar signal muddling through your PC like a lemming before reaching your DAW huffing and puffing, but when I've used these devices I just never noticed those latency issues. Maybe there are noticeable performance issues when recording 8 signals at once or recording at 24-bit/96khz, but I assume we're talking about 2-4 input interfaces with people generally recording at 24-bit/44.1khz.

Since performance and latency are things that are objectively measurable, I'd like to see proof that firewire creams USB in sub-$300 device. I'd like to know if I can have lower latency with firewire and if USB is really just something that "works for me". There are devices like the Edirol UA-101 which are USB 2.0 versions of their otherwise identical firewire counterparts (Edirol FA-101 in this case). Apparently the latencies are virtually the same.

A quote from soundonsound's review of the Edirol UA-101:

"However, the UA101's closest competitor is probably its own stablemate, the FA101. If you don't have a Firewire port then you can buy one on a card fairly cheaply, but nearly all modern PCs are already equipped with USB 2.0 ports, so which is the best option? Well, a USB 2 interface might have the advantage where high track counts are required from a Firewire hard drive, since it won't be sharing the same bandwidth. On the other hand, some armchair experts say USB 2 is unsuitable for professional audio, but I've now reviewed both the UA1000 and the UA101, the only available multi-channel USB 2 interfaces, and have had no practical problems with either. Since its launch, moreover, the UA1000 has gone on to win an enviable reputation for its reliability."

Well some pros for firewire that comes in mind are lower and higher buffersizes (for example RME Multiface has latencyrange of 64-8192 bits) and higher samplerate than 48k available for recording and playback and more available inputs (for example I have recorded 24 tracks with Tascam DM-4800 connected via Firewire) and expandability (for example ADAT)

Hey

Before you redirect me to the search button, i've been through a lot of and am still confused...

I am looking at buying an audio interface to replace my podx3live which i was using to record guitar DI's (but i have been shown that it is not have a very good DI/interface/convertor) and have the following requirements:
2+ inputs
2+ outputs (preferably non RCA)
1+ HiZ input (as i don't plan on buying a DI in the near future)
NOTE: i've read that for a guitar, ideal input impedence of the device just after it should be 1M ohm (passive pups)..
0+ spdif (would really like to have one)
<150-200 USD price
USB2.0 interface (i will be recording on a laptop which has a ricoh chipset and thus cannot work with a firewire interface)

i found the following which may suit my needs:
-Presonus audio box
--issue: HiZ input impedence = 0.5M ohm. I've searched around and have found that most interfaces with >1 M ohm input impedance work decently to record guitars using the instrument inputs but this is not much lower than 1M but i'm not sure...
-Tascam US144
--issue: has only RCA output, i may want to use an amp in the future and use the interface as a reamp as well, this may/will limit that possibility
-Focusrite Saffire6 USB
--seems perfect on paper but is not released and also it has ONLY USB1.1 which i've been led to believe by many internet forums including this one, is to be avoided like the plague...
-MAudio Fast Track mk2
--Finally a usb2.0 device from them for cheap. Gives me the option of protools. but only 2x2 + headphones? is it too simplistic

Any others i should look at
Any suggestions/ideas/comments/whatnot?
Any experience with the above for (mainly) guitar di recording directly into the interfaces?

Thanks!