Getting an audiointerface FAQ

Little question for multiface owner (Ermz, Lasse):

How many channel can you run via Adat optical, 4 or 8?

Thanks in advance

My interface has poor impedance. Is there a way to compensate for this? I run a stompbox into it in an attempt to balance it out and it helps, but all my tones still sound shit. Is there a plugin that can compensate or are there any amp sims whose input "circuits" are lower than usual?

hey,

So anyone wanna recommend me a good firewire pci card?
I was looking at just picking up a TI one off ebay.

It is for a Motu 828, and later on a FF800.

So yeah if anyone could give me a hand it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!
ionei.

Oki dok Guys
Question time for me here
Im debating over the Profire 610 or Profire 2626 (catharsis recommended the 610)
but anyway I'm mainly looking to only record one thing maybe two at a stretch so 2 inputs is probably all i need , and I would like the other 2 line ins just for safe keeping
However will it be worth it for me who only wants a limited number of inputs to get the 2626 or is that for the bigboys?

How decent is the M-audio Delta 1010Lt actually? Bought it cause it was pretty cheap and works with pro-tools m-powered. Didnt recorded anything with it, replaced my Terratec ews88mt with it. Things is it seems they have the same sort of chipset on it. Anyone recorded something killer with it?

Does anyone has experience with the differences of the D.I. quality of the Line 6 Toneport GX and other interface like EMU USB 0404 for example? I would like to start reamping in the near future so I would like to know if the toneportsignal is good enough for a good result...

What is the closest thing to a Tone Port UX 2 ? I mean - USB, phantom, line outs, 2 inputs for instruments and working with an external tube preamp(which my tone port doesnt do because it records out of sync:/).And minimal latency.

Hello,

I need an audio interface for recording everything including drums. I use Cubase 5, windows 7 64 bits.
I will do some reamping with it so I need 1 balanced mono output.

Budget is around 400€ / 500$.

By reading the different topics on the subject it seems that these interfaces have a good reputation :
  • M-Audio ProFire 2626
  • Focusrite Saffire
  • RME Fireface (a bit off budget)

I don't want anything from Presonus as I got tons of issues with the Firestudio I had.

What do you guys think I should buy?

@Metaltastic
I recently bought the Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, and it's GREAT, i highly recommend it to anyone in that price range, I ALSO own the the Profire 2626, which as far as I can tell, it's preamps don't sound as good as the Saffire 40's. The AD/DA conversion is unheard of in the sub $1000 range, and I've never had a dropout, even when running 16 tracks, (the other 8 being via ADAT from profire 2626) Again I would recommend the Saffire Pro 40 to anyone looking at the Profire 2626 or any Presonus (gimmick) interface, I would have purchased 2 Saffire 40's if I knew then what I know now.

Hope this helps someone save some $$$$.

-Jeff

Hey everyone. I'm not recording until May, but I'm trying to plan everything ahead. I've been doing ridiculous amounts of reading, and I am starting to understand a lot of the concepts, but one is really killing me:
The interface.
Since I'll be modeling guitar tones, I will always be able to go back and fix up the tone as I go if it's imperfect. But I know theres one thing that can't be "fixed", and that's the source. No matter how tight your playing is, or how good your modeled tone is, it wont make up for a fundamentally flawed source.
Currently, I have an Alesis iO2 Express (it was $80 :p) and used a Tube MP Studio preamp before it (that's where the guitar/mic was plugged in)... though I really didn't know "how" to use it. I feel as though that will not be good enough for the album quality I'm trying to achieve. If anyone has some spare time, I have some raw tracks of the guitars in here: http://www.mediafire.com/?qh4v5599ecbqek6 Keep in mind it was sorta rushed and is not the tightest playing.

Unfortunately, I'm kind of on a budget. In an interface, I don't need a lot of inputs - we will record everything one track at a time. I just need to make sure it's QUALITY above all. I heard some good things about Focusrite Saffire's preamps ... http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Focusrite-Saffire-6-USB-Audio-Interface?sku=583658 This seems like a good option within my budget. Could something like this provide the album-ready guitar (especially guitar!) [Edit: and Bass, duh!] and vocal tracks I'm looking for? Is there something that may only be around $100 more expensive but definitely a lot better? OR, is expecting a professional quality source within a few hundred dollars an unrealistic goal?
[Edit 2: I also hear the E-MU 0404 is good too...... this is all too confusing :(]
[Edit 3: The Saffire 24 seems affordable (you can pick em up refurb for under $200) but I hear people having a lot of troubles with them and the FireWire. The 6 USB would seem so nice if it wasn't for USB 1.1! All I know is that that sucks haha... I can't afford to have low quality/crackling]
Thanks so much for the help. It's been on my mind a lot recently!
[Edit .....4: Okay, Saffire interfaces seem like too much trouble. God damn. My friend (the guitarist) has a DI box, I don't think it's super fancy, but he has one. So I don't need a really fancy interface I guess? I don't know. Maybe that up to the io2 would work?]

Focusrite Saffire

heyas

so i have the 24 - for a month+

it was a good -=- great choice

the pres are very nice
and the software is super
fast enough
if you think 4ms with a ton of stuff going on is good
( it is ... )

i still have two problems with it
one - midi is not where i need it to be
( at least in the beta version i run )

and
something else - must be minor or i am really burnt out
ill remember in a second
right -
the firewire card i bought was expensive
i went out and bought the best card
but not really the best thing
because they are fussy about which chip you run them on

so

the way i look at it now is

buy a firewire card and interface ~combination~ that is solid...

ah

l8r
o

but yeah get the saffire and the right card - good 2 go

it is clean pres and
the d/a seems fine
stable
fast
dependable

So I'm pretty set on getting a Countryman 85 DI box, but what interface should I use with it? If I use a budget interface ~$100, does it defeat the purpose of having a nice DI box?

I just want a simple USB interface with an XLR input to power the Countryman for guitars/bass and recording vocals.

Or would I be better off just getting a Saffire 6 and using the Hi-Z inputs?

Thanks guys