Getting an audiointerface FAQ

Your recording chain is as good as it's weakest link.

So I take it would be a better option to record guitars and bass into a Saffire 6 direct instrument in (as opposed to a Countryman into a cheaper interface)? Will this yield decent DIs?

If not, what is a recommended interface to use with a Countryman that doesn't break the bank?

So I take it would be a better option to record guitars and bass into a Saffire 6 direct instrument in (as opposed to a Countryman into a cheaper interface)? Will this yield decent DIs?

If not, what is a recommended interface to use with a Countryman that doesn't break the bank?

I'll recording an album with a Saffire 6 and I think this cheap Behringer DI. Sounds good. You get get a Saffire 6 for under $200, and the pre's are the same used in the higher end Saffire stuff too.

Why are you using the Cheap DI, instead of going straight into the instrument input on the saffire?

Just wondering as I'm planning on picking up an interface soon, and I want to use the interface to record DI's, which I believe the saffire can do on its own.

Why are you using the Cheap DI, instead of going straight into the instrument input on the saffire?

Just wondering as I'm planning on picking up an interface soon, and I want to use the interface to record DI's, which I believe the saffire can do on its own.

Actually, looking into things, with the Saffire I probably shouldn't need it. I haven't really A/Bed yet.

I was just thinking of this thread is all, but I dont think the Saffire counts as a cheap interface even though its price is cheap. It has the same pre's as its more expensive brother http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/...-just-use-my-cheap-interfaces-hi-z-input.html

Also, the Scarlett is out now, which has USB 2.0. Ooh!

I got the Scarlett 8i6 a few days ago now, and its great! The sound quality is sweet and so far no issues with clipping the DI input. I am using passive Duncans (JB2 and 59) in a Soloist and Les Paul, and I typically dont have the pickups too close to the strings.

I think a Countryman 85 or similar into this will be perfect for me.

I'd say the Apogee One is a good bet, without the countryman. You get an instrument in, and very good sound quality.

that is of course if your using a Mac..

I got the Scarlett 8i6 a few days ago now, and its great! The sound quality is sweet and so far no issues with clipping the DI input. I am using passive Duncans (JB2 and 59) in a Soloist and Les Paul, and I typically dont have the pickups too close to the strings.

I think a Countryman 85 or similar into this will be perfect for me.

So jealous dude! Right after me and my friend got the Saffire USB... the Scarlett comes out. Sigh. This would be fine, but the Saffire doesn't even work with my computer, works fine with my friends, but when I plug it into mine, I get slow-ass playback. I checked, and playback was fine on my Alesis io2. My guess is USB 1.1 vs 2.0.

reading this thread, am i right in thinking that the focusrite saffire pro 40 has the best pre's and AD/DA conversion of any sub-$1k interface? looking to upgrade from my firebox soon.

Hey all,

I have an emu 0202 that I use with a Duncan JB in the bridge. Judging by the specs here (http://www.creative.com/emu/products/product.aspx?category=610&pid=15186) I read people saying it is decent, however I dont like my di tracks at all. They sound harsh and unmusical.

I have two ideas for an upgrade:

1)Get a new interface. (I was thinking of Saffire pro 14, though I could perhaps pay a little more for a pro 24 if there is a significant difference in the quality of its instrument inputs.)

2)Get a di box to use together with 0202. (Since 0202's hi-z input is 1mohm, I wonder if this would make much difference.)

Which option do you think would give better results?

By the way, in the op author says that it would be better to get a simple interface with only high quality line input and use a di box with it; is there such an interface?

I got an RME Babyface a couple of months ago and couldn't be happier with it. Saw some videos on Youtube where the early release models had a problem with the dial, but mine's been fine.
The converters, preamps, di and drivers are all seriously good and have improved my input and output no end. I can run full itb mixes and still record overdubs with a latency of
7ms. I think it is the single most noticeable upgrade I've made to my project studio in the last five years.
Even the wife can hear the difference!

Clipping is something that occurs at the converters, so Type 85 can't clip anything. But since you can adjust your microphone gain to your liking (= no clipping), yes, you can record a JB without clipping on basically any audio interface.

I have read through most (all, probably) of this thread and the Saffire 40 seems to be quite liked. Does the Saffire 24 share the same Preamp/Conversion as the 40? I am only interested in recording guitars so I don't need the extra inputs that the 40 offers. I understand it may/will be a step back from the API A2D I used to have, but for what I am after, I can't justify such an expense.

Any feedback on personal use of the Saffire 24 or comparison to the 40 would be appreciated. Thanks.

Guys. Don't skimp on the convertors. You guys want to get this thick full deep huge soundstage and you're gonna cut out the one ingredient that's responsible for that, and that's the AD/DA convertors? I hear some of the sound-samples on this site and many of them sound "closed", "over compressed", lacking high end detail, and the bottom is either muddy or not really there. No offense, the music is great, but the mix, not so much. I'm on a budget too, but you can't skimp here.

Someone said earlier that most of these manufactures use the TI chip. THEY'RE CHEAP! It causes jitter in the samples, and the preamps in these units are horrible.

You're going to buy a good DI, have a great guitar, great amps and amp sims, and then the one thing that converts your signal from analog to digital, the one piece that allows digital to sound good, you're gonna buy the worst pieces of junk on the market?

Forget almost all the names you've heard on this boards (at least in there stock versions, and go look at these.

Look under the modifications page. The might mod the unit that you have (Focusrite, RME, MOTU, Digi,, etc, etc) and they offer a micro clock bundle. If you've never heard of these guys, they're making stuff that the top LA studio are using. Their high-end stuff is at the top, in league with Lynx (or above) and Mytek. But you can get a modded lower end 3rd party for a good deal. I have their modded MOTU 896HD with Micro Clock and it's very nice). I'm putting out stuff that reviles big label releases (in part due to this), and I have good gear, play well and have a great engineer.

http://www.blacklionaudio.com/content.php?p=29

You won't regret it.

Cheers

Are the Line Level Outputs HOT enough on the Saffire Pro 24 and 40 for a reamp box?

Reason for my question is an article from: http://audiogeekzine.com/tag/profire-2626/ talking about Profires, but the Output Levels from the Saffire 24 and 40 are similarly low like the Profire 610. The 2626 is HOTTER:

Profire 2626 Line Outputs (Balanced)
Maximum Output Level +20.2dBu balanced, typical
Output Impedance 300 Ohms, balanced

Profire 610 Line Outputs (Balanced)
Maximum Output Level +15.9dBu balanced, typical
Output Impedance 940 ohm balanced

FOCUSRITE
Pro 40
Line level Outputs
Maximum level (A-weighted): 15.7dBu at 0.883%

Pro 24
Line level Outputs
Maximum level (A-weighted): 16.13dBu at 0.885%

Any thoughts/experience before my head explodes...............................since I just bought the Saffire Pro 24 today................before I read that article about the Output Level (I had already compared the Output Level of the 24 to the 40 and saw it was more and assumed the 40 was fine for reamping). I don't have it yet to test things for myself.

Thanks

EDIT: I just read from here - http://www.keplar.net/reviews/focusrite-saffire-pro-24/, this:

"....... One VERY cool thing to note is using one of the outputs on the back for feeding a signal back into an amplifier. At first I tried the most logical connection, #3, as 1-2 are the main outputs. It turns out the 3-4 are shared by the headphone outs. So whatever designate for channels 3 or 4, will be reflected in your headphone mix. This is a minor gripe, but there is a workaround of using #5 for external feeds. Just fiddling with this, I was expecting having to shell out money for an impedance converter (reverse DI) to get a useable signal to the amp. No such story here. Not quite sure of the reason why, maybe cable length, maybe some output compensation done by the interface. But I can say that I was quite surprised and continually pleased even now."