Getting in signal from a kick pad

hahallur

New Metal Member
Apr 11, 2011
So I'm planning to record drums with a full kit except using a kick pad to ease the recording progress.
I was wondering how to get a signal from the pad. My first thought was to mic the beater, then I thought to build a piezo mic and strap it on there.

Anyone who has tried this or has any idea what would be the best way?

This is the pad I'm going to be using.
http://www.gibraltarhardware.com/?fa=detail&mid=2790&sid=140&cid=35

A kick pad from an electric kit??? Plug it into the mic input of your interface.

If it's just a dead practice pad thing then get a piezo on ebay (they cost pennies) and tape it to the pad.

Well the reason I think it will ease the recording process it that the drummer has a tough time nailing some double kicks.
So by eliminating the kick from the OHs and the other mics I can deal with the bass drum afterwards with ease, since its going to be replaced with a sample anyway.

At first going to mute the bass drum completely but then I thought getting a practice pad would be easier and cheaper.... I might be wrong though.
I've never muted a bass drum before so I assumed getting a pad would be easier.

So I'm planning to record drums with a full kit except using a kick pad to ease the recording progress.
I was wondering how to get a signal from the pad. My first thought was to mic the beater, then I thought to build a piezo mic and strap it on there.

Anyone who has tried this or has any idea what would be the best way?

This is the pad I'm going to be using.
http://www.gibraltarhardware.com/?fa=detail&mid=2790&sid=140&cid=35

Triggering can already be buggy to begin with, why dont you just buy a mesh head?

Do mesh heads really dampen the sounds as much as a pad, I don't want to hear the drum in the other mics.

I've used a mesh kick from a td20 before triggering into the drummers triggering unit just di'd in. Has helped in the past before with some drummers who are very used to their trigger sound.